• 16 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 9 in conversation
Announcements

Top Contributors
Highlighted
Aspirant

New R7000 owner - Two issues: Disable WPS and LED

I just purchased a R7000 router and got it all set up. Definitely a big improvement over my Asus, especially with the 5ghz. range. However with that said, I have two issues:

Wi-fi protected setup (WPS) - Is there someway to actually DISABLE it completely? As far as I can tell, even though I have password protected my setup, one of my children could press the WPS button and add a device without me knowing it (unless I logged in). Also I don't want to have to worry about accidentally hitting the button on the router an inadvertently opening my router to outside users (it sits on my desk).

LED lights - Is there any way to turn them off. They are very bright. Right now I use a strip of electrical tape, but would prefer if there was a way to disable them.
Message 1 of 17
Highlighted
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: New R7000 owner - Two issues: Disable WPS and LED

The manual page 111 disable WPS PIN

Using tape is fast becoming a netgear trademark they should start shipping a roll with each router.
Message 2 of 17
Highlighted
Virtuoso

May I ask which Asus router you're replacing? Just curious about what the comparative ranges and signal strength might be, as well as the Asus model.

Thanks.
Message 3 of 17
Highlighted
Luminary

See page 111 for "Disable Router’s PIN". I don't know if pushing the button on the router re-enables the PIN. I imagine it wouldn't be all that difficult to find out.

One of my gripes about all Netgear models, including the R7000, is that they have WPS enabled by default. I would have thought by now, knowing that WPS is a big security risk, that Netgear would have had the PIN disabled by default, include a more intuitive and definitive labeled option in the router's configuration and, include a security warning in the user manual.

As to the LEDs; I don't see anything in the user manual about the LEDs beyond their normal operation and troubleshooting. I'd use a piece of tape that wouldn't leave a sticky residue when it's removed.
_____
WNDR3700v1 (v1.0.7.98NA) - Router uptime (d:h:m:s): 1155:02:31:46 - How To Check and Change Your Router's Firmware: http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=63234
Message 4 of 17
Highlighted
Aspirant

LED's I don't think so. WPS should be disabled if you clear the PIN field in advanced settings..... check the manual.
Message 5 of 17
Highlighted
Luminary

Looks like replies took a little extra time getting approved. Well, at least we all basically said the same thing. Smiley Happy

"shipping a roll with each router", LOL. I know some people get really annoyed with the LEDs. They don't bother me since I'm not sleeping next to the router. Smiley Very Happy
_____
WNDR3700v1 (v1.0.7.98NA) - Router uptime (d:h:m:s): 1155:02:31:46 - How To Check and Change Your Router's Firmware: http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=63234
Message 6 of 17
Highlighted
Virtuoso

I have 19" rack with too many LED flashing... doesn't bother me none. Fan noise makes me go sleep lol
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 7 of 17
Highlighted
Aspirant

RogerSC,

It is replacing a RT-N56U - My 5ghz speed doubled at a range of 75 feet on my tablets with the new Netgear vs my old Asus.

Also I did check out pg 111. I had already disabled the PIN, but is still shows up as the WPS being configured on the router set up the advanced router information page. Also on a SSID/scan app, it shows my router as
WPS configured. Why can't they make it so it is completely disabled (i.e. so pushing the button on the router will NOT do anything)?

Right now i'm tempted to pick up the Asus RT-AC68U at Frys when it goes on sale on Wednesday and return the Netgear. The size of the Netgear is over the top and almost a deal breaker, if I can get the same 5ghz performance out of the new Asus.
Message 8 of 17
Highlighted
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Measure the distance between antennas I would bet whichever has greater distance between them will provide better coverage. please let us know thanks
Message 9 of 17
Highlighted
Virtuoso

blumbert,

Yes, I agree, the rt-n56u is wimpy on 5GHz. My rt-n56u comes in at one bar of signal strength in my living room on 5GHz., pretty useless, and my rt-n66u comes in a 4 bars (out of 5) on the same piece of hardware. A very large difference, as you can see. I have the rt-n56u for backup, got it before getting the rt-n66u.

Haven't experimented with wireless-ac yet, but have my eye on the R7000 and the rt-ac68u.
Message 10 of 17
Highlighted
Luminary

Wait.... hopefully future Netgear FW will be able to doe this.

If not 3rd party FW maybe out there as wellSmiley Very Happy
Message 11 of 17
Highlighted
Novice

blumbert wrote:
RogerSC,

Right now i'm tempted to pick up the Asus RT-AC68U at Frys when it goes on sale on Wednesday and return the Netgear. The size of the Netgear is over the top and almost a deal breaker,

Don't worry knowing Netgear they will release R7000 version2 which will be positioned vertically in a few months Smiley Very Happy.
Message 12 of 17
Highlighted
Tutor

A few quick things about the Asus RT-AC68U that prompted me to buy Netgear again.

I just came from a Asus rt-n65u that has USB 3.0 for its attached storage. USB 3.0 interferes with 2.4Ghz wifi something fierce. Asus didn't shield the USB 3 connector on the 65u or on the new RT-AC68U. Using a USB 3.0 HDD with the 65u ruined all my 2.4Ghz connections. Asus "solved" that problem on their new router by including an option on the AC68u to run usb 3.0 at usb 2.0 speed.

The Netgear r7000 USB 3 port is shielded and it runs USB 3.0 faster than my Asus. 2.4Ghz coverage doesn't seem to be affected. I imagine that's why the USB 3 connection is on the front.
Message 13 of 17
Highlighted
Aspirant

So I have unchecked the "Enable Router's PIN" box on my R7000, but left the other two boxes checked relating to keeping the existing wireless settings. However with that said, I noticed that a few hours later the words "disabled because an attack is detected" next to the option to enable the router's pin. If the PIN was actually NOT enabled, how could someone even attempt an attack?
I reset it again (and the message disappeared) and about an hour later the same message came up next the the "Enable Router's PIN" box (which is still UNCHECKED). How could someone even attempt to attack my router if the PIN is NOT enabled?

FYI - I'm running the newest firmware 1.0.1.22_1.0.15. I looked at the admin log and don't see any unsuccessful attempts to connect.
Message 14 of 17
Highlighted
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Did you try a power cycle after disabling it? Some of netgears other flagship hi end routers have had a problem with the WPS light flashing at will and a power cycle has worked.
Message 15 of 17
Highlighted
Aspirant

Did a power cycle and so far it seems to be holding. I wish though that Netgear allowed you to completely disable WPS completely, but they don't seem to have any intent on changing the gui/setup as this comes up time after time in searches I see in Google pertaining to the same complaint...
Message 16 of 17
Highlighted
Luminary

eXR3 wrote:
Don't worry knowing Netgear they will release R7000 version2 which will be positioned vertically in a few months Smiley Very Happy.

Maybe in addition to the R7000v2, they will release a 802.11ad router in 2014. The caveat is that you have to be in the same room to get the theoretical 7 Gigabit/s rate on the 60 GHz band. Smiley Very Happy
_____
Message 17 of 17