Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN Error

jnguyen
Star

That was my issue with net gear way back when with the r7000. Even when I did have paid support it was the same script they used. I vouch for ASUS, and I would avoid linksys
Message 26 of 120

I visited today hoping I would find that something had changed. I've owned my R8000P for years, and have been a member here about 15 yrs. Fortunately, my device didn't get stuck at 1.4.1.50 and I've been trying new releases every 3-6 months hoping this DNS probe issue would get resolved. Its too bad we can't seemingly get past this issue without some sort of manual intervention.  I still only have a handful of Wi-Fi 6 devices in my household, so a Wi-Fi 6e upgrade remains a nice, not need to have.  1.4.1.68 remains stable for me.  No issues except for whats known (broken) for several years now.   

I've picked up 4 Meraki AP's and a 48port Arruba Switch.  I'm thinking a FortiGate 60e might complete it all.  Not sure where I'm going to put everything yet.      

Message 27 of 120
GR82N0
Aspirant

R7960P - Still has DNS issue with 88 firmware... :-(

Still have the DNS issue with the 88 version of firmware.  I went back to the 68 version that was working before. I can't have my internet bouncing up and down when working from home, doing teams calls. Tried uping IPv6 and that didn't help with the bounce at all. Can't believe 2 versions in a row with the same issues and no hotfix released.

Message 28 of 120
Gipper4u
Tutor

Re: R7960P - Still has DNS issue with 88 firmware... :-(

They're not going to fix the issue. It's been going on now for nearly 6 months. Rolling back to old firmware is a security risk, which is one of the main roles of a home router/fw.  Manually adding DNS to the client resolves the issue but it's a pain since you need to do it for all devices and all NIC's, wired and wireless. I'll eventually replace my Netgear with another brand.  This has left a bad taste in my mouth and I will not consider Netgear in the future.   

Message 29 of 120
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: R7960P - Still has DNS issue with 88 firmware... :-(

Lets not assume that NG isn't going to fix this. Fixes don't come over night. Seen it take well over 9 months for new FW to be released. We've made NG aware of this and they know about it. 

Reverting to working FW isn't necessarily a risk. Until a problem appears, current and older FW is safe to use. Also use IPv6 has helped users as a work around for DNS seen as well. User will need to be patient. 

Message 30 of 120
Synthdan
Guide

Re: New - R7900P/R7960P/R8000P Firmware Version 1.4.3.88 Released

Starting with R7900P Firmware Version 1.4.2.84, released in 2021, the R7900P router developed a serious flaw where web browsers would fail to load pages the first time they were accessed. This problem occurred in Chrome, Edge, and every other browser, and users were forced to downgrade to Firmware 1.4.1.68 in order to continue to use their router. This is all documented in this forum post from 2021:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/R7900P-Firmware-Issue-Version-1-4-2-84-Brows...

Recently, on April 12th, 2022, a new firmware update, 1.4.3.88, was released. My router automatically installed this update, losing all of my settings in the process. Unfortunately the new firmware has the exact same website issue, so I've once again had to revert to 1.4.2.84.

Actually, it's worse than that. There is a serious error in the old 1.4.2.84 version. If you disable the "Router Auto Firmware Update" option and hit apply, the router's interface software crashes, and the router has to be rebooted. The setting is not saved. This is why my router auto-updated to the latest firmware even though this was not ideal.

So, I had to install the latest firmware, configure it to not auto-update, then revert to the previous firmware, in order to get the router to not break itself by installing the unusable new updates.

Netgear, are you going to fix your firmware problem with the R7900P? This was an expensive router and I'm hopeful that you will fix this serious firmware flaw. The 1.4.2.84 firmware version continues to work perfectly, but the broken updates say they have "security fixes" and I would like my system to be as secure as possible.

Thank you,

Dan

Message 31 of 120
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: R7900P/R7960P/R8000P Firmware Version 1.4.3.88 Released

Did you factory reset the router and setup from scratch after v.88 was loaded?

One thing to try is to enable IPv6 feature  on v.88 and see if the DNS issue continue to still appear or not. Others have mentioned that this helps. NG is aware of the DNS issues. 

@Synthdan wrote:

Starting with R7900P Firmware Version 1.4.2.84, released in 2021, the R7900P router developed a serious flaw where web browsers would fail to load pages the first time they were accessed. This problem occurred in Chrome, Edge, and every other browser, and users were forced to downgrade to Firmware 1.4.1.68 in order to continue to use their router. This is all documented in this forum post from 2021:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/R7900P-Firmware-Issue-Version-1-4-2-84-Brows...

Recently, on April 12th, 2022, a new firmware update, 1.4.3.88, was released. My router automatically installed this update, losing all of my settings in the process. Unfortunately the new firmware has the exact same website issue, so I've once again had to revert to 1.4.2.84.

Actually, it's worse than that. There is a serious error in the old 1.4.2.84 version. If you disable the "Router Auto Firmware Update" option and hit apply, the router's interface software crashes, and the router has to be rebooted. The setting is not saved. This is why my router auto-updated to the latest firmware even though this was not ideal.

So, I had to install the latest firmware, configure it to not auto-update, then revert to the previous firmware, in order to get the router to not break itself by installing the unusable new updates.

Netgear, are you going to fix your firmware problem with the R7900P? This was an expensive router and I'm hopeful that you will fix this serious firmware flaw. The 1.4.2.84 firmware version continues to work perfectly, but the broken updates say they have "security fixes" and I would like my system to be as secure as possible.

Thank you,

Dan

Message 32 of 120
Synthdan
Guide

<< Did you factory reset the router and setup from scratch after v.88 was loaded? >>

Yes, I did. Given that I expected Netgear to not release a second firmware update with the same problem, I did a factory reset and started over from scratch. After rebuilding all of my wifi settings from scratch, I tried going to various web pages and immediately experienced the exact same DNS issues. Then I reverted my firmware back to the previous working version.

<< One thing to try is to enable IPv6 feature  on v.88 and see if the DNS issue continue to still appear or not. Others have mentioned that this helps. NG is aware of the DNS issues. >>

No, I haven't tried that. Others on this thread have said they did try that and it didn't work. I suppose I can take some time to try the firmware upgrade again and see for myself.

Thanks,

Dan

Message 33 of 120
jnguyen
Star

Ok, for me, after I turned on IPv6 (auto-detect) it went away on the latest firmware, also put DNS on auto have fixed the DNS errors. Occasionally I'll get conn_reset on Chrome but only for a split second. Hate that I have to put specific settings for the firmware to fix. I avoided IPv6 because I was having problems with it on another firmware ironically enough (IPv6 caused my router to reboot randomly on the older firmware).

Message 34 of 120
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, when you get time. I'll be checking my R7960P here soon. 

@Synthdan wrote:

<< Did you factory reset the router and setup from scratch after v.88 was loaded? >>

Yes, I did. Given that I expected Netgear to not release a second firmware update with the same problem, I did a factory reset and started over from scratch. After rebuilding all of my wifi settings from scratch, I tried going to various web pages and immediately experienced the exact same DNS issues. Then I reverted my firmware back to the previous working version.

<< One thing to try is to enable IPv6 feature  on v.88 and see if the DNS issue continue to still appear or not. Others have mentioned that this helps. NG is aware of the DNS issues. >>

No, I haven't tried that. Others on this thread have said they did try that and it didn't work. I suppose I can take some time to try the firmware upgrade again and see for myself.

Thanks,

Dan

Message 35 of 120
FURRYe38
Guru

Thanks for letting us know. Hoping IPv6 will work for you until NG finally gets this all fixed. We are keeping them on this. 

What model router do you have? 

@jnguyen wrote:

Ok, for me, after I turned on IPv6 (auto-detect) it went away on the latest firmware, also put DNS on auto have fixed the DNS errors. Occasionally I'll get conn_reset on Chrome but only for a split second. Hate that I have to put specific settings for the firmware to fix. I avoided IPv6 because I was having problems with it on another firmware ironically enough (IPv6 caused my router to reboot randomly on the older firmware).

Message 36 of 120
jnguyen
Star

The R8000P. But yeah, only thing I changed was IPv6 to on and DNS to ISP provided on
Message 37 of 120
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, thanks for confirming the model # and that IPv6 is helping with DNS. We'll keep on NG about this. Please be patient. 

@jnguyen wrote:
The R8000P. But yeah, only thing I changed was IPv6 to on and DNS to ISP provided on

Message 38 of 120
jnguyen
Star

Yeah man, ASUS is like the Toyota of the networking industry. Not even hating on Netgear, I had faith for so long it’s just problems after problems. The nighthawk lineup is what bought me into their products, sight unseen
Message 39 of 120
steveofsd
Star

After reading this this thread about the buggy .88 issue with DNS I had to roll back to .68 to work smoothly.  I'm working from home and can't deal with such lame firmware bug, again and again.  I hope the Netgear VPs are seeing this so they can fix it for good.  I'll give them time to fix it or I'm going with ASUS.  Time is money, I'm willing to pay for reliable products.

Message 40 of 120
BharatG
Aspirant

This firmware breaks the Readyshare print utility. The router is not detected and shared printing is non functional. Had to revert to the previous version.

Message 41 of 120
Atros04
Aspirant

@Synthdan Were you able to distinguish which firmware allowed you to configure auto-updater? I just updated to .88 and still get the option greyed out and a network reset error on the page that requires me to power cycle the router?

Message 42 of 120
FURRYe38
Guru

Have you enabled IPv6 using default settings there just to see if this resolves any web page DNS issues seen? 

@Atros04 wrote:

Were you able to distinguish which firmware allowed you to configure auto-updater? I just updated to .88 and still get the option greyed out and a network reset error on the page that requires me to power cycle the router?

Message 43 of 120
Synthdan
Guide

<< @Synthdan Were you able to distinguish which firmware allowed you to configure auto-updater? I just updated to .88 and still get the option greyed out and a network reset error on the page that requires me to power cycle the router? >>

@Atros04 The way I did it was this: First, I upgraded to the latest 1.4.3.88 firmware. Then, I did a complete reset on the router (by holding down the reset hardware button). One of the first questions the Netgear setup asks you is if you want to allow the router to auto-update. I said no, then proceeded to reset everyone on my network, including SSID names, passwords, port forwarding, and everything else. Then I backed up these settings to a backup file, just to be safe, and then I down-graded the firmware back to the last working version.

I now have the Auto-Update feature turned off, the settings backed up, and the working firmware back in place. It's frustrating to have to do this. If you try to contact Netgear's support, it will tell you that your product is out of warranty, so your only recourse is to post to the forums.

Needless to say, this is a long and involved process, and this isn't very good support from Netgear, particularly for an expensive high-end product. Be very careful to write down every possible network setting you have, if you're going to attempt this.

Best of luck,

Dan

Message 44 of 120
FURRYe38
Guru

So after you did all this, are you still having problems? 

If still seeing any DNS issues, did you enable IPv6 on the router as well? 

Be sure you make a backup of the router config to file for safe keeping, saves time if a reset is needed:

https://kb.netgear.com/24231/How-do-I-back-up-the-router-configuration-settings-on-my-Nighthawk-rout...

@Synthdan wrote:

The way I did it was this: First, I upgraded to the latest 1.4.3.88 firmware. Then, I did a complete reset on the router (by holding down the reset hardware button). One of the first questions the Netgear setup asks you is if you want to allow the router to auto-update. I said no, then proceeded to reset everyone on my network, including SSID names, passwords, port forwarding, and everything else. Then I backed up these settings to a backup file, just to be safe, and then I down-graded the firmware back to the last working version.

I now have the Auto-Update feature turned off, the settings backed up, and the working firmware back in place. It's frustrating to have to do this. If you try to contact Netgear's support, it will tell you that your product is out of warranty, so your only recourse is to post to the forums.

Needless to say, this is a long and involved process, and this isn't very good support from Netgear, particularly for an expensive high-end product. Be very careful to write down every possible network setting you have, if you're going to attempt this.

Best of luck,

Dan

Message 45 of 120
Atros04
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Have you enabled IPv6 using default settings there just to see if this resolves any web page DNS issues seen? 

@Atros04 wrote:

Were you able to distinguish which firmware allowed you to configure auto-updater? I just updated to .88 and still get the option greyed out and a network reset error on the page that requires me to power cycle the router?

I have with no luck. Only a downgrade to .68 managed to fix the DNS issues, but I am now stuck in this loop where the auto-updater is greyed out and crashes if I change to disable. I will be following the instructions from synthdan.

Message 46 of 120
Synthdan
Guide

@FURRYe38 As I said in my post, after doing all that, and the DNS issue still existed, I downgraded back to 1.4.1.68, the only firmware that works. Now that auto-update is off, my router works and will continue working, albeit without some possibly-serious security updates.

However, in the interests of helping out the community, I will now update back to 1.4.3.88, I'll turn on IPv6, and I'll let you know what happens.

Thanks,

Dan

Message 47 of 120
Atros04
Aspirant

@Synthdan So I am not getting the prompt to disable updates. I am going to try downgrading, resetting, then seeing if it comes back. But so far no luck.

Message 48 of 120
Synthdan
Guide

<< If still seeing any DNS issues, did you enable IPv6 on the router as well? >>

@FURRYe38 OK, I upgraded to 1.4.3.88 and immediately had DNS issues. I want into Advanced Setup->IPv6. IPv6 was disabled, so I selected "Auto Config" and selected Apply. It then saved the settings, selecting "DHCP" as the Internet Connection Type, with DNS from the ISP and the LAN setup being automatically configured.

I then went and refreshed a few pages, clicked on some links, and opened some new pages. So far I haven't had any DNS issues, though it's only been a few minutes. But the immediate result seems positive. I will test it some more and report back.

Thanks,

Dan

Message 49 of 120
Synthdan
Guide

@Atros04 Are you configuring the router via the app or via your Internet browser? In my case, after resetting the router, I went to 192.168.0.1 in my browser to connect to the router. The first thing it does is suggest using the app to configure the router, but I selected the option saying I didn't have a compatible phone, which then allows you to configure the router via browser. One of the first questions it asks is if you want to auto-update. At least, that's what it did for me, with 1.4.3.88 installed.

Hope that helps!

Dan

Message 50 of 120
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7