Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Top Contributors
Highlighted

New R7960P firmware 1.4.1.44_1.3.5 available but not on product downloads page

My R7960P router's admin page is showing that a new firmware version 1.4.1.44_1.3.5 is available to update, but there are no release notes.  On the product page (https://www.netgear.com/support/product/R7960P.aspx#download) it only shows the previous firmware 1.0.1.34.  Is there any documentation for this new release?

Model: R7900P|Nighthawk X6S AC3000 Tri Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 10
Highlighted

Re: New R7960P firmware 1.4.1.44_1.3.5 available but not on product downloads page

Now it appears my router has installed the new firmware automatically.  Since it did, I have been experiencing intermittent packet loss and connection dropping.  The router stops responding to ping requests for minutes at a time.  This is severely affecting my ability to work.  Can I please get an explanation about what was affected by this latest update?

Message 2 of 10
Highlighted
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: New R7960P firmware 1.4.1.44_1.3.5 available but not on product downloads page

Have you tried to roll back the firmware on the router?

DarrenM

Message 3 of 10
Highlighted
Guide

Can you tell us if the 1.4.1.44_1.3.5 is legit for the R7960 router? Why would it show up as a router update on the router itself and not show up on the Netgear Support site? This is why I don't set my router updates to automatic.

Message 4 of 10
Highlighted
NETGEAR Moderator

A lot of times it gets uploaded to the update server before being posted on the support site.  It can take a week or two before it gets posted.

DarrenM

Message 5 of 10
Highlighted

I have not rolled back the firmware.  The connection seems to have stabilized after a power cycle, so I'm no longer experiencing connectivity issues.  I just disabled the auto-update config.

It's pretty troublesome that the firmware is pushed to the update server where it will be installed by all routers with a default configuration before any official release notes are published.  I can't think of any other application where that method of release is appropriate, and I don't think it's appropriate here.  Release notes should be published beforehand or at the very least at the same time it is pushed to the update server.  It's unacceptable to have to wait weeks or post to a forum to find out if a firmware version is legimate.  That's not too much to ask.

Message 6 of 10
Highlighted
Master

@ajisukitakahiko 

Welcome to the wondful world of Netgear firmware. As far as I can see there is no oversite. Firmware, it is reported, is done by off shore 3rd party. There appears to be no oversite as to known bugs fixed, no QA and no update of documentation on a timely manner. Other then bad firmware, no oversight, no QA no review of docs that should be published, Netgear is doing great?????? At least the hardware is good, which is pretty worthless when the firmware is crap. 

All consumer grade routers seem to be plaged with similar issues, but other to a lesser exent from reports here. 

I gave up on r8000 and r8000p and went elsewhere. Never been happier with that move. Went away from consumer grade which means giving up somethings like parental controls. Nothing I need or want. 

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Message 7 of 10
Highlighted
Aspirant

I found out the same happened to my router. It was automatically updated to 1.4.1.44_1.3.5. I discovered this when I noticed my two 5GHz bands SSID were shown not in range, so I logged into my router to see what was going on. I found that those two band SSID's were changed to Netgear 5-G1 and Netgear 5 G2 with NO security! I immediately changed them to secure and renamed the SSID's back to what they were before. 

Has anyone else have something similiar happen to their router when Netgear automatically updated firmware?

Message 8 of 10
Highlighted
Aspirant

After my R7960P was updated to the latest firmware 1.4.1.44_1.3.5 my router is constantly hanging and very slow.
Anybody else experiencing the same?
I am thinking about downgrading...

Thanks.
Message 9 of 10
Highlighted
Aspirant

I no longer update firmware. I’ve been burned way too many times. It’s almost like Netgear’s firmware policy is to purposely release bad versions so they can sell their newer models, as most home users will just think the router is broken and replace it.
Message 10 of 10