Highlighted
Master

New R8000 F/W released, V1.0.4.18

Seems it was just released today:

https://kb.netgear.com/000058796/R8000-Firmware-Version-1-0-4-18

New Features and Enhancements

• Supports collection of router analytics data.
  • Added support for SHA256 certificates in lieu of MD5 for OpenVPN.
  • Supports the Auto firmware update feature.

Bug Fixes:

• Fixes security issues.

Auto Firmware is OPTIONAL, not selected after install, you must enable or disable it.

OpenVPN problem might be fixed.

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 49
Highlighted
Virtuoso

Re: New R8000 F/W released, V1.0.4.18

@IrvSp
So far it has been good with new FW. I have been running it for past 2 days without any problem, with maximum loads and all settings are on DLNA, Cicle ( has been plagued for past 6 weeks), 2 USB drives with readyshare and readycloud working fine.
Elsewhere in this forum, people initially had problems with open VPN, but resolved, possibly due to incomplete updating/resetting the router. So far it has been stable, and I hope it will stay this way for long...
Best,
Message 2 of 49
Highlighted
Guide

Well, it is only slightly better than previous versions. The wireless is actually still working after 12 hours, but my ethernet connected computer has lost all connectivity. If I do a network repair it says the DNS server is not functioning. The only way I can get it to work is to reboot the router. Jesus, Netgear, it has been 7 months! I am never buying your hardware again, as you are completely unable to get it to work.
Message 3 of 49
Highlighted
Guide

Yes, I did the factory reset, been through this with 4 or 5 firmware releases. Not gonna buy another Netgear piece of crap, lol. They are even listed as the routers from the recent router hacks. They are not secure and they simply don't work with the upgraded "security" firmware. Junk and terrible support.
Message 4 of 49
Highlighted
Virtuoso

@Case850 and @iceburgent.
I'm pretty much also interested in whether this FW fixes the problem with DHCP workload on the CPU. That might possibly the main problem, I suspect, rendering the router not being able to sustain the gigabit at the WAN Port,.... Just thinking...
I am quite ok (speaking on behalf of myself), about the way the new FW comes out, so far. Not so sure why DNS dropped with LAN connection... Any idea @Case850 ?
Best,
Message 5 of 49
Highlighted
Aspirant

I'm having similar DNS resolution problems with this firmware that only a reboot fixes. It's happening on WiFi and ethernet for me. Direct ping to the Internet, if you know the address, continues to work though  so it's a dns issue  I had parental control enabled and turning this off seems to be the solution for me at the moment, but not 100% convinced.

Suspect that the router's dns stack or parental controls module is the cause. 

Message 6 of 49
Highlighted
Master

@TerryPh wrote:
@IrvSp
So far it has been good with new FW. I have been running it for past 2 days without any problem, with maximum loads and all settings are on DLNA, Cicle ( has been plagued for past 6 weeks), 2 USB drives with readyshare and readycloud working fine.
Elsewhere in this forum, people initially had problems with open VPN, but resolved, possibly due to incomplete updating/resetting the router. So far it has been stable, and I hope it will stay this way for long...
Best,

So far, I see NO difference in the router. I don't use Circle but do use DLNA/ReadyShare on a single USB 2.0 drive. Ever since I discovered my USB 2.0 problem was the drive, not the router, the R8000 has worked well. Not using UPnP either.

I've exercised DLNA quite often without even a hiccup.  On the older .12 f/w I did notice a DLNA catalog error of a duplicated filename, but after the new .18 installed and rebooted the router the DLNA Catalog was rebuilt if seems and that duplication is not there.

One thing I've still not discovered is naming the attached devices. The PC's and iPad's it picks up the name. Printers, FireTV stick, Amazon Echo, and the Samsung SmartTV's all uses names that make them difficult to determine which is what? With an iPad I can change the names but not on a Browser Genie? The Browser Genie doesn't seem to pick up the data from the iPad as I guess that stays local with the NIGHTHAWK app?

I've tested speeds both on the LAN PC to PC and the Internet using a variety of sites and no speed changes seem to have happened and all is  well.

Message 7 of 49
Highlighted
Star

@Maatk wrote:

I'm having similar DNS resolution problems with this firmware that only a reboot fixes. It's happening on WiFi and ethernet for me. Direct ping to the Internet, if you know the address, continues to work though  so it's a dns issue  I had parental control enabled and turning this off seems to be the solution for me at the moment, but not 100% convinced.

Just to confirm, with parental controls on, the internet would stop working for the most part after a little time had passed?  I had the same issue where my existing connections would work (vpn), but web browsing stopped.  Then when you turned parental controls off (where you still using openvpn), it kept working?

I went back to .12, and everything is working fine, but would like to use the updated firmware if possible.

Also, did you factory reset after upgrading to .18?

Message 8 of 49
Highlighted
Apprentice

I have been holding out for over 6 months waiting for Netgear to get their act together on releasing a stable version of firmware for the R8000. I have had bad experience with the last 2 versions - WiFi drop outs and WiFi performance problems.

After reassuring story from @TerryPh , I have decided to give this version a try today. So far so good, everything is working normal. Perhaps Netgear has up their game in firmware testing after uproar from the user community. Only time will tell ...

Message 9 of 49
Highlighted
Aspirant

@ghentj wrote:

@Maatk wrote:

Just to confirm, with parental controls on, the internet would stop working for the most part after a little time had passed?  I had the same issue where my existing connections would work (vpn), but web browsing stopped.  Then when you turned parental controls off (where you still using openvpn), it kept working?

I went back to .12, and everything is working fine, but would like to use the updated firmware if possible.

Also, did you factory reset after upgrading to .18?

Yes, that's correct, with the parental controls on Internet access would stop working because dns was unable to function  Pinging ip addresses externally worked fine as long as you didn't try for name resolution. I didn't try VPN at the time of it failing on the dns resolution. 

Rolling back to  . 12 solved the problem. I didn't factory reset after . 18

Message 10 of 49
Highlighted
Master

@Case850 wrote:

@IrvSp wrote: >>> I've tested speeds both on the LAN PC to PC and the Internet using a variety of sites and no speed changes seem to have happened and all is  well.

Can you provide more details? Are you on a 1 Gbps Internet service?

No, only 100/10Mbps Cable service over provisioned by 15%. Fairly vanilla usage of the router. Mixed set of N and AC devices. Smart Connect set for the 5G SSID's. USB2.0 device attached and used for file storage and DLNA Server. No Circle, UPnP, QoS, or VPN enbled.

Internet Speed coming in tested via a few test sites, like my ISP's and SPEEDTEST.NET.

LAN speed from my PC with a GB connection to route to another PC connected with a NG AC A6200 test and it is the approximate speed as before. iPad's tested for speed as well.

Not had a signal drop on any device, and the range seems to be the same. No reboots have been logged either other than the one on install.

It just works.

Message 11 of 49
Highlighted
Virtuoso

FW v.1.0.4.18
First redeemable failure: internet conection loss few hours after enabling open DNS parental control nd with static IP address reservation as an added stress test, Wired and wireless connections to router are still intact. I was able to soft reboot the router through my wireless connection, and all are working again, with added static IP reservations.
Other people have issue with DNS dropping. Some have problem with IP address reservation. Few do not even be able to update the FW without hickups.
I will take these up with Netgear Production Manager again, and probably this is the last strike (invoking 3 strike rule) @IrvSp and @Case850
PS. I'm running R8000 at max. capacity with all features on, ie DLNA, QoS, Traffic Meter, IP reservations etc.
Circle seems to work fine. with patch implemented in the FW, but not open DNS parental control, which seems to be the problem at present time. So if you don't need, disable it.
Message 12 of 49
Highlighted
Master

@TerryPh, I forgot to mention I have 2 PC with Address Reservations, 192.168.1.30 and 192.168.1.40. DHCP server addresses start at .2 and end at .29. Normally I have about 6 devices that get IP Addresses via DHCP. The most might be 4 or 5 more than that, so 28 possible addresses is fine. Of those 6 devices that get a DHCP address, a printer and Smart TV are not usually on. The other 4 are on 24/7.

One 'annoyance' though and I had it on the R7000 as well. I have NEVER been able to figure it out. Wife's 192.168.1.40 IP Address that is reserved is a NG A6200 AC USB network adapter. The log show many entries for it getting an IP Address:

[DHCP IP: (192.168.1.40)] to MAC address 08:BD:43:A5:8C:AA, Monday, May 28,2018 12:57:29
[DHCP IP: (192.168.1.40)] to MAC address 08:BD:43:A5:8C:AA, Monday, May 28,2018 12:34:32
[DHCP IP: (192.168.1.40)] to MAC address 08:BD:43:A5:8C:AA, Monday, May 28,2018 12:29:45
[DHCP IP: (192.168.1.40)] to MAC address 08:BD:43:A5:8C:AA, Monday, May 28,2018 12:25:36
[DHCP IP: (192.168.1.40)] to MAC address 08:BD:43:A5:8C:AA, Monday, May 28,2018 12:24:49

Nothing else between strings of entries like this either. Usually no more than 10 or so, a few times a day. At first I thought it was her 'waking up' her PC that will sleep. Never could make that time match, I even waited for her to wake the PC up and then looked at the log. It just seems to happen. I looked at her  USB h/w  entries in Device Manager. Made SURE none would allow the device to turn off to save power. Used a few A6200's s/w versions. Still happened. My PC has a planar wireless device, switched my PC from wired to wireless. Never saw entries like that?

I can 'live' with this annoyance, but since it is quite possible that it is the router (both the R7000 and R8000 probably shares code for this) could be the cause with respect to logging.

If you do have the opportunity to talk to NG Production Management, please have them look at Support Case #29936026. That is the USB/SMB1 problem for both the R7000 and R8000. I've been going around with them over the NEED to enable SMB1 Client on a W10 (and other Windows versions require it as well, but W10 is the one that may not have it running causing sharing problems). First support got on my PC, and saw the problem first hand. Then it was passed on to the next level and they couldn't recreate it. I provided more into and then they could. Next they couldn't and wanted to run GET-SMBCONNECTION in POWERSHELL. Did that and sent it back. It clearly showed that the Router was running ONLY SMB3. I've attached that output to this reply. Trick I had to pull was to make the USB share an attached drive (ZSmiley Happy to be able to make the command work. SMB 3.1.1 is running on the router. If other SMB versions were running it would have been listed by that command. They might need a nudge to have this fixed.

Message 13 of 49
Highlighted
Aspirant

Hi have exactly the same problem !

this is the 2nd day I have to reboot my router at the morning : no more DNS resolution, using nslookup shows that it is no more possible to resolve from google DNS or OpenDNS.

Rebooting and all reverts OK during a limited amount of time.

I upgraded from V1.0.4.10 and router worked perfect for months ! A nice peace of crap, this new firmware.

I currently deactivated WMM, parental control based on OpenDns and QOS....

Message 14 of 49
Highlighted
Virtuoso

New Firmware 1.0.4.18 failing after 20 running it under maximum stress conditions.
I am losing my hopes for Netgear.
Message 15 of 49
Highlighted

R8000 F/W V1.0.4.18 broke my Internet connection. Naughty...

1.0.4.18 broke my Internet connection Smiley Sad.

After installation of 1.0.4.18, all seemed fine for an hour or so. After that hour, the Internet connection fluctuated between intermittent, extremely slow, and completely down. Rebooting the router fixed the problem for 30-60 minutes or so. So basically I had to reboot the router twice an hour.

I rolled back to 1.0.4.12 and everything works fine.

I'm on a fiber connection from Netvigator in Hong Kong.

Message 16 of 49
Highlighted

Re: R8000 F/W V1.0.4.18. Broke my Internet connection

I did not perform a reset. Something to try tomorrow then... Smiley Happy

I have 500mbit fiber. Same downstream and upstream.

Message 17 of 49
Highlighted
Virtuoso

@IrvSp@Case850@windsaga et al.

---Reposting ---- ( For some reason, my post was deleted)

I agree. Newest FW 1.0.4.18 implementation does not do well in fixing the known problems with R8000, despite its hardware superior.

1. No matter what NG advertise, R8000 does not handle the GiGabit Internet speed very well, possibly due to problem with DHCP configuration messed up.

2. QoS works but irrationally and randomly assigns devices priority. Beam forming not working as it supposed to do in this case.

3. Bigger problem with parental controls implementation of Circle and open DNS. Either of them on will cause the router to loose internet connection even though new patch from Circle in this Fw will cure the router freezing and save all other router function, but not internet connection. Memory resource competition in this one.

4. Again the issue of Media Server and Resources. DLNA continues to consume greater amount of memory, if you have USB attached devices with media, the router will scan it in background and overtime (matter of one or 2 days) it will saturated the memory causing the router to freeze with amber flashing power LED. This is worse.

5. Some how the open VPN works fine, but at the update, you will have to manually download the database instead of being downloaded automatically.

This "new: FW primarily addressed the issue of MD5 Certificate expiration, replacing it with SHA256 and VPNFilter Malware, not to fix existing problems known to us. 

I was running the beta fw 1.0.4.15 (not publicly available) for 1.5 months and it worked better than this fw. I will reserve to it

I have intention to write again to NG Production Manager, whoever new coming onboard next week to affirm him/her of the problem NG thinks that are solved. Not so easy. I think software engineers need to rethink of their strategy, not to overcrow the router with lots of show stoppers (love this terms, @Case850 Smiley HappySmiley Happy), scrap away what are  not working to make this router stable.

@windsaga - Thank You for all past supports. They are greatly appreciative.

Best Regards,

Terry

(More to follow...)

Message 18 of 49
Highlighted
Virtuoso

ADDENDUM to my previous post

Therefore, if you need the router to stay stable, turn off all extra stuffs (features, protocols, whatever you name them) OFF

My router now is bare minimum: DLNA, QoS, Traffic Meter, IP Reservation, Parental Controls, Beam Forming... ALL ARE OFF or inactive.

I want to see if it is stable, at least for one week or more. Will post the update in the meantime with NG Production Manager (new one)..

Terry

Message 19 of 49
Highlighted
Master

@TerryPh, I did see it. I was replying to it and all of a sudden in the middle of my typing a BIG RED bar (like the turquiose Autosaved bar) appeared and said I didn't have proper permission. I finished my reply but when I went to post got a screen with the same stuff. After that I was taken to the thread and your post and possibly others were gone. Suspect a server problem/error.

Since my DLNA problems, which was cured by replacing the drive, I've not had a DLNA problem at all? It is pretty heavily populated for a 2TB drive,  over 6,600 files, 1.2TB used. Adding files, although done randomly and not many, seem to get cataloged without a problem.

What I don't know is what caused the hard drive to fail? I did have a modem problem around that time. My modem would re-boot every 2 to 4 days. Sometimes the router had rebooted as well, other times, it sort of froze and had to be rebooted. Never sure of the cause. Around that time the USB drive started to have problems. Usually cured by taking it to a PC and mounting it. Before it could be used Windows required CHKDSK to be run. Always found problems either in Free Space (un-allocated space) or some files. It might have been due to the firmware or not? Don't know for sure... Once the modem was replaced and ISP did some line repairs as well I was still having problems. However, the replacement disk has had NO problems.

I must admit, I am NOT really exercising much on this router. Basically the Wifi SSID's (I changed the names and use AES security) but I really didn't need to do that probably.  A few Reserved IP Addresses, enabled some logging options and a daily send of the log. Readyshare with 2 shares on the same USB 2.0 drive. Using 9 (up to 600Mbps), 44, and 153 (up to 1300Mbps) channels. Reduced the DHCP IP Addresses to be given out to 2 to 29 and the 4 Reserved IP Addresses above 29 in increments of 10. I don't even think anything else was changed off of the default?

Netgear seems to hit a rocky period of error prone firmware releases? I don't know if they have basically wiped out the QC function or they have a lot of new people to train. Don't know if they have lost some beta testers or are not using as many? One reason I had to replace my R7000 was it started to 'fail'. By that I meant at I had an immediate problem updating the router via the Genie Browser page (not automatic method but me initiating it). The router DID NOT boot. Orange Power LED blinking... took a deep breath and just powered it off and on and it came up. Two days later, blinking orange power LED. Power off and on fixed it. It kept happening. That was .28 release too. A few others reported it as well I saw. All recovered by restarting. I d/l'ed and installed the prior F/W but it still happened? Did the f/w damage it? Who knows... now on the R8000.

BTW, I STILL have the OPEN CASE on SMB1 specifically on the ones I could prove, the R8000 and R7000. One my PC when NG connected they could SEE the problem. Took my settings file, and they claimed they couldn't recreate it in the lab... we exchanged a few messages and they could. Then a request for more info and then they couldn't see the problem. So I sent POWERSHELL commands to run on the READYSHARE DRIVE attached to the PC as a NETWORK drive. They confirmed they now can see the problem again.

This is the LAST request on 5/26 I got:

====================

Case #: 29936026
Case Summary: Nighthawk Router ReadySHARE should support SMB2 **L2ML
Product: R8000

Update from NETGEAR:

Hi Irv,

Good day!

This is Rose once again. I got an update from our Engineering team.

Please see the engineer's update below:

Please check the SMB connection by the following steps:
1. Access the Readyshare by windows file manager.
2. Open windows powershell, and run the command "Get-SmbConnection" to check the connection type. The SMB connection version can be found by the column "Dialect".

The "net view" command is relied on the Computer Browser Service. If you want to turn on the Computer Browser Service, "SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support" is necessary.

Regards,

Rose, Expert ID: 8319
NETGEAR L2 Support Expert

====================

I sent back a command to run and told them to attach the drive as a network drive and run it:

This is what I got:

============

PS Z:\> get-smbconnection -servername readyshare

ServerName ShareName       UserName      Credential                           Dialect NumOpens
---------- ---------       --------      ----------                           ------- --------
readyshare usb_2.0_storage IRV8700\irvsp MicrosoftAccount\ispalten@cfl.rr.com 3.1.1   3

=======

Columns are poor in the paste, but it shows that the Z: drive, the Network Share is running SMB 3.1.1 (W10 Home Spring Update V1803).

The NET VIEW shows the server name of READYSHARE:

=========

PS Z:\> net view
Server Name            Remark
--------------------------------------------
\\IRV8700              Irv's 8700
\\LARAINE-XPS8500      Laraine's XPS8500
\\READYSHARE           readyshare
The command completed successfully.

===========

Answer I got back after that 3 hours later:

===========

Case #: 29936026
Case Summary: Case Endorsement from Community_Nighthawk Router ReadySHARE should support SMB2 **L2ML
Product: R8000

Update from NETGEAR:

Hi Irv,

Thank you for your prompt response. Let me forward this information to our Engineering team.

Regards,

Rose, Expert ID: 8319
NETGEAR L2 Support Expert

*** This is an automatic, system-generated message

========

I did get a later one stating there was no more info available but when there was I'd be notified.

That case WAS OPENED on 3/31, 2 months ago and NO resolution? Are you kidding me? Is anyone working on this or is it a very low priority problem I ask?

Oh, the MY SUPPORT web page, changed and almost useless. You NO LONGER can see the trail of messages, and it is even hard now to update as it seems it can only be done via a file, you can't even TYPE a response on the page. Who designed this junk? I was a Web Master and owned a Beta site... if I ran this s/w I'd have been fired!

Message 20 of 49
Highlighted
Master

@TerryPh wrote:

ADDENDUM to my previous post

Therefore, if you need the router to stay stable, turn off all extra stuffs (features, protocols, whatever you name them) OFF

My router now is bare minimum: DLNA, QoS, Traffic Meter, IP Reservation, Parental Controls, Beam Forming... ALL ARE OFF or inactive.

I want to see if it is stable, at least for one week or more. Will post the update in the meantime with NG Production Manager (new one)..

Terry

@TerryPh, see my other message but I DO HAVE BEAMFORMING , IP RESERVATION (only 2 at this time), and DLNA enabled and I'm stable. FYI.

Message 21 of 49
Highlighted

@Case850, I tried the following:

• Update firmware
  • Factory reset
  • Restore the configuration from a backup

So far so good. We'll see if it stays stable. If this doesn't work, I'll try the same but with manual configuration.

Thanks for your advice!

Message 22 of 49
Highlighted

Roger. We'll see how it goes. I'm interested to see if it stays stable like this.

Message 23 of 49
Highlighted
Aspirant

Hi
I was using an older firmware, very stable (monthes without rebooting ) , with
- parental control  ( not circle, the other one )
- dynamic Qos
- 16 devices with Dhcp address reservation.

I upgraded to V1.0.4.18. last week, without doing a factory reset.
I quickly lost DNS resolution, and disabled parental control.
Even with parental control and Qos disabled,
- each morning, I had to reboot : no DNS resolution
- Each evening, I saw my android TV boxes loosing their connection ( always well connected in wifi, but no internet traffic, even on local network) for 30 seconds to 2 minutes, or sometimes never reverting back ( except after router reboot). it could work again during a few minutes by passing from wifi 2,4Ghz to 5Ghz or the reverse. All the equipment using real-time internet was impacted: my yeelight bulbs reacted with a lot of delay or sometimes not at all ( and yet I was using a personal program that addresses bulbs via their ip address on the local network.) . The problem was obvious with kodi + yeemee (to turn on the yeelight bulbs according to the image of the film displayed on the TV, and yeemee plugin also uses IP address to contact light devices).
- I even noticed that some of my equipment were wifi connected ( and were available ) , and still no longer listed in  router's view of connected devices.

I reverted yesterday to V1.0.4.12_10.1.46  ( had to reboot during firmware upgrade, because of amber fixed light on router during upgrade process ) , I still didn't proceed to factory reset, and everything is still working still then.

Qos and standart parental control are now both enabled, and .. well.. I can still post here  Smiley Happy
Message 24 of 49
Highlighted
Virtuoso

@beer2beer

Like one said: "Don't fix anthing that aint broken".

In your case, staying with older version is a pefect solution for now.

Best

Message 25 of 49
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 48 replies
  • 8 kudos
  • 12 in conversation
Announcements