Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

New Router - Can't find NAS

SierraFoxtrot
Aspirant

New Router - Can't find NAS

Hi there,

I bought a Netgear router yesterday, because my previous router did not work anymore.

My actual router is a Netgear "Nighthawk" Router AC1900 Smart Wifi, Model R7000.

I have a "Livebox" (equivalent to a modem I guess - as I live in France and have a French ISP). The Livebox's ip address is: 192.168.1.1

Don't think it's relevant, but I have 5 computers, running windows (XP, 7, 8 and 10). Some computers also run on linux (mint and ubuntu).

Previous setting:

The Livebox was at its above mentionned ip address (192.168.1.1)

My former router's ip address was: 192.168.2.1.

My gigabit nas station & usb 3.0 5gbps NAS' ip address was: 192.168.2.5

My Brother MFC-9970CDW printer's ip address was 192.168.2.7.

It all worked seamlessly until the old router packed up.

Current settings:

The livebox modem's ip address remains the same (192.168.1.1)

The netgear router's current ip address is: 192.168.1.37 (set as access point)

Using brother's troubleshooting software, I have successfully connected my printer, though a new ip address was given: 192.168.1.235.

I cannot connect, despite my numerous attemps, to my "gigabit nas station & usb 3.0 5gbps NAS".

I've changed the Netgear Router's address to 192.168.2.1, but did not find my NAS on the given statique address (192.168.2.5).

So I hard reset my Netgear router, as I could not access it with the newly given ip address. I set it back to the automatique address: 192.168.1.37 (access point mode).

I no longer have the box, the java software NAS finder (palava).

I don't want to press the NAS' reset button, by fear of erasing the data on the disk and the assigned disk/users space.

I haven't got a clue of how to change my NAS' ip address.

Can somebody help me with this issue?

Kind Regards

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: New Router - Can't find NAS

@SierraFoxtrot wrote:

Let's start here.  In your old configuration, your old router was 192.168.2.1 That is a different subnet from the modem - and that means you were double routing..

Now you are not double-routing, since you are using the R7000 as an access point. The IP addresses are assigned/managed by your modem gateway along with all the other routing functions.  So everything needs to be on subnet 192.168.1.x

Many of your issues above happened because you were trying to use 192.168.2.x addresses with your new setup - for instance settng the AP address to 192.168.2.1.  Those addresses simply won't work in this configuration.

As far as the NAS goes, it sounds like you assigned it a static IP address in the 192.168.2.x range.  If so, that explains why you can no longer reach it.

@SierraFoxtrot wrote:

You have four options to fix this:

1. Instead of using the R7000 as an AP, use it as router instead (as you did before with your old router).  Assign it's LAN address range to 192.168.2.x (it will pick something else by default, likely 10.0.0.x).  Then you should be able to reach your NAS (though you might need to turn off some PCs temporarily to avoid an address conflict).  

The last step would be to change the NAS network setup to use DHCP/automatic address and then reserve the IP address in the router setup.  If you'd done that originally you would have avoided this problem, and been up and running by now.

The benefit of this approach is that you'd be able to use all the features of the R7000 router (which likely are richer than your modem gateway).  

The downside is that port forwarding is a bit more complicated.  You could potentially avoid that downside by putting your modem gateway into "bridging" mode.  I wouldn't bother doing that myself - if you want to try that, wait until you get everything else working.

2.  Leaving the R7000 as an AP...  Look for a way to change your modem gateway to use 192.168.2.x addresses.  It will have a way to do that.  Restart the PC and you should be able to reach the NAS on the old address.  If you have an IP address conflict, turn off or disconnect the conflicting device from your network temporarily.

3.  Leaving the R7000 as an AP...  Temporarly connect the NAS directly to the ethernet port of a PC (no router/switch on the path).  Assign the PC to use static address 192.168.2.2 with subnet mask 255.255.255.0 and gateway 192.168.2.1.  Then you should be able to reach the ReadyNAS web ui using https://192.168.2.5/admin in your web browser.  Change the NAS to use DHCP, then reconnect it to your network.  Change the PC back to DHCP and connect it to your network.  

4.  Leaving the R7000 as an AP...  Grit your teeth and use the reset button to do an OS reinstall on the ReadyNAS.  If you post your model information we can point you to the right hardware manual for the procedure.  The OS reinstall will reset the IP address to be automatic (DHCP) and also reset the admin password to the factory default.  That varies by model.  The data won't be affected.  

It is important not to do a factory default procedure by mistake.  That will destroy your data.

If you keep your modem gateway as the only router (options 2-4) you should then try to reserve an IP address in the modem gateway instead of assigning a static address in the NAS.

So look in the modem gateway for a way to reserve an IP address for the NAS.  This feature has a couple of different names - some vendors use "address reservation", others use "arp binding" or a similar name with "arp" in it.  

If you can't find that feature, then you could (a) use solution 1, since the R7000 has it, or (b) go back to assigning a static address to the NAS itself. If you use (b) you will likely face this problem again if you get a new modem gateway.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@SierraFoxtrot wrote:

Let's start here.  In your old configuration, your old router was 192.168.2.1 That is a different subnet from the modem - and that means you were double routing..

Now you are not double-routing, since you are using the R7000 as an access point. The IP addresses are assigned/managed by your modem gateway along with all the other routing functions.  So everything needs to be on subnet 192.168.1.x

Many of your issues above happened because you were trying to use 192.168.2.x addresses with your new setup - for instance settng the AP address to 192.168.2.1.  Those addresses simply won't work in this configuration.

As far as the NAS goes, it sounds like you assigned it a static IP address in the 192.168.2.x range.  If so, that explains why you can no longer reach it.

@SierraFoxtrot wrote:

You have four options to fix this:

1. Instead of using the R7000 as an AP, use it as router instead (as you did before with your old router).  Assign it's LAN address range to 192.168.2.x (it will pick something else by default, likely 10.0.0.x).  Then you should be able to reach your NAS (though you might need to turn off some PCs temporarily to avoid an address conflict).  

The last step would be to change the NAS network setup to use DHCP/automatic address and then reserve the IP address in the router setup.  If you'd done that originally you would have avoided this problem, and been up and running by now.

The benefit of this approach is that you'd be able to use all the features of the R7000 router (which likely are richer than your modem gateway).  

The downside is that port forwarding is a bit more complicated.  You could potentially avoid that downside by putting your modem gateway into "bridging" mode.  I wouldn't bother doing that myself - if you want to try that, wait until you get everything else working.

2.  Leaving the R7000 as an AP...  Look for a way to change your modem gateway to use 192.168.2.x addresses.  It will have a way to do that.  Restart the PC and you should be able to reach the NAS on the old address.  If you have an IP address conflict, turn off or disconnect the conflicting device from your network temporarily.

3.  Leaving the R7000 as an AP...  Temporarly connect the NAS directly to the ethernet port of a PC (no router/switch on the path).  Assign the PC to use static address 192.168.2.2 with subnet mask 255.255.255.0 and gateway 192.168.2.1.  Then you should be able to reach the ReadyNAS web ui using https://192.168.2.5/admin in your web browser.  Change the NAS to use DHCP, then reconnect it to your network.  Change the PC back to DHCP and connect it to your network.  

4.  Leaving the R7000 as an AP...  Grit your teeth and use the reset button to do an OS reinstall on the ReadyNAS.  If you post your model information we can point you to the right hardware manual for the procedure.  The OS reinstall will reset the IP address to be automatic (DHCP) and also reset the admin password to the factory default.  That varies by model.  The data won't be affected.  

It is important not to do a factory default procedure by mistake.  That will destroy your data.

If you keep your modem gateway as the only router (options 2-4) you should then try to reserve an IP address in the modem gateway instead of assigning a static address in the NAS.

So look in the modem gateway for a way to reserve an IP address for the NAS.  This feature has a couple of different names - some vendors use "address reservation", others use "arp binding" or a similar name with "arp" in it.  

If you can't find that feature, then you could (a) use solution 1, since the R7000 has it, or (b) go back to assigning a static address to the NAS itself. If you use (b) you will likely face this problem again if you get a new modem gateway.

Message 2 of 5
bedlam1
Prodigy

Great response

Message 3 of 5
SierraFoxtrot
Aspirant

Thank you StephenB,

I used your number 3 solution, below, as it seemed the simplest one for me.

@StephenB wrote:

It was quite easy to sort out. To say the truth, I put it through my netear switch, and unplugged all other ethernet cables.

Im now leaving my NAS on automatic, its new address is 192.168.1.48. Works well. I'll finish to set it up on all my computers/operating systems.

Thanks very much for your help.

Regards

SierraFoxtrot

PS: my NAS (Gigabit NAS Station & usb 3.0 5Gbps) is unbranded as far as I can tell. However, if you know/find information about it (manual, etc), please let me know.

Message 4 of 5
StephenB
Guru

@SierraFoxtrot wrote:

PS: my NAS (Gigabit NAS Station & usb 3.0 5Gbps) is unbranded as far as I can tell.

This should have been in the Nighthawk router area then, since it isn't about ReadyNAS.  I'll move it there.  Option 4 assumes a ReadyNAS (so it wouldn't have worked); but the other options would work with any NAS.

I'm glad you are up and running again.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7