Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

New WiFi router from Netgear

VaclavV
Aspirant

New WiFi router from Netgear

Dear all,

I am looking for a new Wi-Fi router to match minimum requirements below:

• Wi-Fi 802.11 ac (speed does not matter)
  • 1x Gigabit WAN port
  • 4x Gigabit LAN ports
  • USB 3.0
  • DLNA
  • Win 10
  • Local web-based set-up

Last point is necessary, because I don’t want to be forced by Netgear to create any account on any pages = I want to be able to set-up my router in exactly the same way as I am used to do with my current Linksys E1500 (to be able to put e.g. 192.168.1.1 to my address line in web browser and set my router locally, not via any cloud).

Could you please send me list of routers to match specification above? Or at least could you please explain me why Netgear use cloud based set-up (I am affraid of loosing my privacy)? 

Thank you for your help in advance.

Kind regards, Vaclav Vrsinsky.

Czech Republic.

Message 1 of 15

Accepted Solutions
VaclavV
Aspirant

Re: New WiFi router from Netgear

Now I have all the information so I am looking forward to enjoying new router when it arrives:)

Thank you all again.

Wish you the best.

Vaclav.

View solution in original post

Message 14 of 15

All Replies
LeeH
Prodigy

The R7000 or any other NetGear router with a higher number will meet or exceed your requirement.

But I am curious why you want a USB 3.0 port.  Using any router as a NAS is a bad idea and recommend you purchase a dedicated NAS instead.  If you want a print server be aware that there are also people who have problems with using a router for that.

Message 2 of 15
William10a
Master

As far as using a app to set up a router I do not care which router you look at today there is a app that they want you to use or have to use in setting the router up some which require a smart phone or tablet to set up the router and set up a user account with them to manage it.

Not a big fan of a app having control and shearing set up data with others either but people do it every day when they use a credit card at gas station.

Message 3 of 15

I agree with @LeeH , the R7000 is enough.

It all depends on your needs, and your future needs

Message 4 of 15

@VaclavV wrote:
  • Win 10

The Windows version is irrelevant.

The router doesn't use drivers. Most management is through the web interface. The standalone Windows app does Windows 10 just fine.

You mention USB, if you plan to use it with portable storage, check that the device is on the compatibility list for the router. Newer USB drives can be too big or too new for the router. Netgear takes time to catch up with new hardware.

Message 5 of 15
VaclavV
Aspirant

First of all, many thans for your useful replies. Let me just answer to a few points you wrote me:

• I wanted USB 3.0 to connect my WD Elements 1,5TB to allow all devices (3 computers, 1 TV) within my home network to see my documents and photos everywhere in my house (now I have to take my disk with me around my house which is not comfortable at all)
  • I was not thinking about print server because I didn't even know that this is possible (I have 100$ Canon Ink) but it is good idea and I will at least try it with a new router
  • I am still a little bit concerned about router setting which leads me to visit routerlogin.net (it is simililar to linksyssmartwifi.com) because I feel very unsafe = please, why do Netger force me to do this? Do they tracking what I am doing on the internet? Or why am I supposed to visit some external pages to let me set-up my home router?

My concerns about last point are maybe stupid and sorry for that, but I am amateur in networks = I just need to buy a new router with good level of safety and privacy because my internet provider increased my internet connection speed to 900Mbps/900Mbps.

Thank you very much again, I really appreciate your help.

Have a nice day, Vaclav.

Message 6 of 15

All routers meet those requirements.

@michaelkenward  I agree the key factor here is the needs!!

Message 7 of 15

The R7000 is a good medium router!

I wanted USB 3.0 to connect my WD Elements 1,5TB to allow all devices (3 computers, 1 TV) within my home network to see my documents and photos everywhere in my house (now I have to take my disk with me around my house which is not comfortable at all) it does meet what you're looking for

I was not thinking about print server because I didn't even know that this is possible (I have 100$ Canon Ink) but it is good idea and I will at least try it with a new router the extra USB slot allow you to connect your printer

I am still a little bit concerned about router setting which leads me to visit routerlogin.net (it is simililar to linksyssmartwifi.com) because I feel very unsafe = please, why do Netger force me to do this? Do they tracking what I am doing on the internet? Or why am I supposed to visit some external pages to let me set-up my home router? 

routerlogin.net   is only to acces the device, even if you unplug the device from internet you still can access the router! It isthe NG way to dial the 192.168.1.1! And the Oxymore's day Secure Network!

And the router is full gigabite!!

If it helped kudoe.

Have a nice day!

Message 8 of 15

I am still a little bit concerned about router setting which leads me to visit routerlogin.net (it is simililar to linksyssmartwifi.com) because I feel very unsafe = please, why do Netger force me to do this? Do they tracking what I am doing on the internet? Or why am I supposed to visit some external pages to let me set-up my home router?

routerlogin.net and addresses like 192.168.1.1 go nowhere near the Internet. They are not external pages, just local addresses that let you get at the controls for your router.

You can test this by disconnecting the router from the Internet. You can still get at the router's controls, so Netgear has no idea what you are doing.

Using addresses like that is a standard tactic for companies that make network hardware. You will find it hard, if not impossible, to find a router that does not have something similar.

Message 9 of 15
VaclavV
Aspirant

So you all guys convinced me to switch from Linksys to Netgear so I am going to buy Netgear X4S 7800:o) I cannot wait until it comes home:o)

My last question, is this router still ready to be set offline via 192.168.1.1?

Many thanks for your help:)

Vaclav.

Message 10 of 15

"My last question, is this router still ready to be set offline via 192.168.1.1"

There are 2 ways to configure NG thru routerlogin.net or check your eth config and type usualy it's 192.168.1.1 but depends, and done deal.

If you are satified kudoe and accept solution!

And you are welcome Sir!

Have a good day night whatever enjoy your device!

Message 11 of 15

@VaclavV wrote:

I don't know what that means. You can control the router from 192.168.1.1.

To find out exactly what you can control, read the manual:

R7800 | Product | Support | NETGEAR

Message 12 of 15
William10a
Master

@VaclavV wrote:

So you all guys convinced me to switch from Linksys to Netgear so I am going to buy Netgear X4S 7800:o) I cannot wait until it comes home:o)

Many thanks for your help:)

Vaclav.

If I understand the question yes the router can be set up via 192.168.1.1 without using any on line app's or shearing the settings with another server on the web as private you can make it.

Message 13 of 15
VaclavV
Aspirant

Now I have all the information so I am looking forward to enjoying new router when it arrives:)

Thank you all again.

Wish you the best.

Vaclav.

Message 14 of 15

Keep us posted!

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 9 kudos
  • 5 in conversation