Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: New Wifi and router system advice

EamonnT
Aspirant

New Wifi and router system advice

We are looking for some advice before we purchase some Nethear kit. 

We recently put cat six cabling into the house. A couple of points in each room over three floors with the attic converted into a home office. 

Our WIFI is bad.  We are using the typical Virgin media white router and everything is slow. 

we would like to get a good Wi-Fi 6 Router and Extenders.   
Is the Rax200 a good choice router?  is it the latest technology?  what are the pros and cons? 
NIGHTHAWK® TRI-BAND AX12 12-STREAM AX11000 WIFI 6 ROUTER WITH NETGEAR ARMORTM (RAX200)

(https://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/wifi-routers/rax200.aspx) 

If we go with the Rax200 as the main router, is the Ex8000 (NIGHTHAWK X6S TRI-BAND WIFI MESH EXTENDER) the right extenders that’s will match the power of the RAX200

is this the right combination ? 

Finally can we connect the  EX8000 back to the RAX200 using wired cat six cabling for better connection?

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Those are great options. 

The problem though is the EX8000 (and the EAX extenders) don't function as a mesh device when hardwired in. so you wouldn't have the same seamless roaming that you'd expect with a full mesh system. 

a better option would look at an actual mesh system like Orbi. There's either the AC version or the AX versions. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Those are great options. 

The problem though is the EX8000 (and the EAX extenders) don't function as a mesh device when hardwired in. so you wouldn't have the same seamless roaming that you'd expect with a full mesh system. 

a better option would look at an actual mesh system like Orbi. There's either the AC version or the AX versions. 

Message 2 of 4
EamonnT
Aspirant

@plemans wrote:

Those are great options. 

@plemans wrote:

Those are great options. 

I Magned to get a lend of an Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart Wifi Router (Wifi Six) 

Is there a Wifi 6 Wireless / Triband extender that can make use of a wired cat six port to conect back to the Main router  as a wireless mesh?

Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

I Magned to get a lend of an Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart Wifi Router (Wifi Six) 

Is there a Wifi 6 Wireless / Triband extender that can make use of a wired cat six port to conect back to the Main router  as a wireless mesh?

Netgear doesn't currently have a triband wireless AX extender. They have a dual band. 

But I couldn't tell you if the AX dual band extenders suffer from the same 50% throughput loose as AC or if they allow mesh to function with a wired backhaul. Sorry, I don't have one to test with. 

I do know the orbi system allows wired and/or wireless backhaul. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7