Re: New firmware R7000-V1.0.3.68_1.1.31.chk

dont touch the latest DD WRT version !

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=266867
Message 26 of 130
Dalmo
Aspirant

CaliforniaRailRoadGuy wrote:
I'm getting a Motorola/Arris SB6183 from Amazon, as soon as I get that I will try the new FW again and see if it works okay with that one.

I have the MOTOROLA SB 6141 works Great

Dalmo
Message 27 of 130
RogerSC
Virtuoso

I always factory reset the modem after a FW update, but I usually restore the settings from a backup, I will try the manual way next time, thanks!

Yes, if you restore saved settings from a previous release after upgrading, the results are "unpredictable" *smile*.
Message 28 of 130
CaliforniaRailR
Aspirant

RogerSC wrote:
Yes, if you restore saved settings from a previous release after upgrading, the results are "unpredictable" *smile*.

It sounds like it Smiley Very Happy I got some updates from my friend in WA also having this issue-

Just a question about the .68 update.
Did you have the IPV6 enabled when you had the problem?
I ask because my son in Monterey has been using the updated firmware for a week with no problems.
He has IPV6 disabled on his R7000.
I had IPV6 enabled when I had the problem.

After looking at that firmware update 1.0.3.68_1.1.31,
It all goes back to lease release and renew thing.
Going to leave that new firmware on the router.
The lease is set to release/renew tomorrow at 09:3:16
If the problem happens again, I will know for sure.
Sent a email to Netgear support because I was on hold for 42 minutes and gave up.

I will post more when he gets back to me on this.
Message 29 of 130
RogerSC
Virtuoso

Just a question about the .68 update.
Did you have the IPV6 enabled when you had the problem?
I ask because my son in Monterey has been using the updated firmware for a week with no problems.
He has IPV6 disabled on his R7000.
I had IPV6 enabled when I had the problem.

I just switched over to this new firmware to check out the IPv6 myself. So far, everything is fine, the wireless is good, peformance is good, and the IPv6 works well. I'll stay with this firmware version for a while, seems to work well. I do like to test out new firmware, though, so I'll most likely be trying the next tomato release.

The new IPv6 on dd-wrt firmware has the same problem that the early stock firmware IPv6 had. When I reboot/power cycle my router, I don't have an internet connection when it comes back up. Neither tomato nor the latest stock firmware versions have this problem, though, so I'm hoping that the dd-wrt developers take care of this problem.
Message 30 of 130
CaliforniaRailR
Aspirant

An update from him-

Just a update.
There has to be something terribly wrong with the .68 update.
Reinstalled it this AM, no IPV6 and it did the same thing as last time, 8 hours later.
This time I did notice the internet LED goes from blinking to solid.
I am back to .60 and am staying with it.
I was just curious as to why my son and people on the forum are not having any problems.
Different modem and different head end equipment I guess.

He's in Washington, I'm in Northwestern California.
Message 31 of 130
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I have Comcrap they appear to have a IPV6 DNS problem in my area. This firmware was working fine until last week. Still trying to find a person at comcrap who can walk and chew gum. The connection status says no Internet Access even though all nine devices have IPV6 P's.
Message 32 of 130
jslicer
Aspirant

The .68 FW drops all my connections every couple of hours, ethernet and wireless, I can get them back if I reset the modem, but then 2-3 hours later it will drop it again. I finally went back to .60 this morning and everything is fine again. I'm on Comcast and running a Zoom 5341j Modem.

I had the same exact problem. I reverted to .60 as well. I hope this is found and addressed in a newer version soon.
Message 33 of 130
johnathonm
Aspirant

So for me Comcast hates stock firmware. I was running the latest and repeatedly the router and the modem sb6141 would just "stop" communicating to comcast. The router would still issue an iP of 192.x.x.x but that is not the normal ip. As such through repeated testing I had to roll over to ddwrt which so far isn't dead.
Message 34 of 130
celms
Aspirant

I tried the new FW .68 yesterday and it kept dropping my connections. Set it to factory, flash it then used the backup file to put my settings back. Got sick of it so I put .60 back on. Something wrong with that FW.
Message 35 of 130
jsmiddleton4
Tutor

No problems here. But I don't restore any back up. I always reconfigure from scratch.
Message 36 of 130
ERICOSU
Aspirant

jslicer wrote:
I had the same exact problem. I reverted to .60 as well. I hope this is found and addressed in a newer version soon.

Same problem here, going to revert back to .60. I'm on WOW internet. .60 was working fine for me I just thought I'd update the latest firmware, never do that again.:mad:
Message 37 of 130
nisaaru
Aspirant

The AppleTV/Airplay problem is still there but there "seems" to be a slight change with the new firmware.

After a reboot of the R7000 the Airplay service works for some time.
.68 works about a day perhaps. I haven't enough data yet to specify this
.60 worked about 2 days perhaps.

After that time ITunes/Bonjour looses the AppleTV(ITunes Status Icon switches from blue to orange) while still playing. If I stop/restart ITunes now with some delay in-between ITunes can't connect to the AppleTV unit anymore.

After reseting the AppleTV unit it's recognized again by ITunes/Bonjour but around 15-30mins later the same condition happens.

I'm sure it's the same problem people have with wlan printers suddenly vanishing. You can see with the Bonjour shell cmd "dns-sd -B _afpovertcp._tcp ." when these multicasts suddenly fail.

How this isn't easy to reproduce is beyond me as there's no special setup involved here. I've tried everything(WMM off, IGMP proxy disable(yes/no), DNS Rip/Version. Nothing fixed the condition.

It's quite obvious that something fails inside the R7000 after a certain period of time. It must be related to multicast.

Bonjour has no problem with LAN connected units like Synology disk stations.

My topology
R7000 -> WAN(DSL Modem)
LAN(MacBook, 8Port-Switch)
WLAN-2.4(AppleTV)
WLAN-5(IPad)
8Port-Switch -> (3 Synology Diskstations)
Message 38 of 130
arekm
Aspirant

68 - locks up for me after few minutes of running (wifi and wired connections stop working, router itself also stops responding). Fortunately I was able to downgrade to 68.
Message 39 of 130

I flashed via wired connection over the top of my existing configuration. Not my usual method, but too busy at work recently. Working for me. No noticeable issues with IPv6 or DNS. r7000 has IPv6 address assigned. IPCONFIG on network PC shows DHCPv6 IAID DHCPv6 Client DUID DNS All with IPv6 MAC address Roku is streaming like a champ. I view this as pure luck since you guys are having problems.Go figure.
~Comcast 1 Gbps/50 Mbps SB8200 > R8000P
~R8000P FW:1.4.1.68 ~R7000 FW:1.0.9.42
~R6400 FW:1.0.1.52 ~Orbi-AC3000 FW:2.5.1.8
~EX3700 FW:1.0.0.84

Message 40 of 130
RogerSC
Virtuoso

shadowsports wrote:
I flashed via wired connection over the top of my existing configuration. Working for me. No noticeable issues with IPv6 or DNS. r7000 has IPv6 address assigned.

All with IPv6 MAC address

Roku is streaming like a champ. I view this as pure luck since you guys are having problems.Go figure.

Not all of us are having trouble out here *smile*. Working well for me, too, IPv6 and all. Not sure what an IPv6 MAC address is, though.

Don't know how you're using your router, but it seems like a lot of the problems are experienced by people that use NAS and VPN server functionality. Just a guess, though, since I'm currently not using either, and haven't had a lot of the problems that I hear about here. I'm not sure why the router mfgr's include NAS/dlna capability, other than for competitive reasons. You can get a small dedicated NAS that works really well for a reasonable cost, I've heard *smile*, and just let your router be a an excellent wireless router. A lot less struggle, and better results for both router and NAS functionality.
Message 41 of 130
jsmiddleton4
Tutor

Using simple, basic, not sure what the lingo is as I'm not looking, NAS feature for attached USB drive. I use it for downloads, etc. No problems. I don't use IPV6 nor VPN.
Message 42 of 130
possiblyben
Aspirant

I'd like to report a bug with this firmware. Whats the best way to go about doing that? Opening a support ticket is largely an exercise in how long you can either wait for a response, or get a response that has nothing to do with the issue at hand.

I have Time Warner Cable in Maine, and if I turn on IPv6 Support "Auto Detect" with V1.0.3.68_1.1.31 firmware it causes the router to hang after about 10 minutes of operation, and the only way to recover is to reboot the entire device by hand.

If I flash down to 1.0.3.60 the problem goes away.
Message 43 of 130
RogerSC
Virtuoso

possiblyben wrote:
I have Time Warner Cable in Maine, and if I turn on IPv6 Support "Auto Detect" with V1.0.3.68_1.1.31 firmware it causes the router to hang after about 10 minutes of operation, and the only way to recover is to reboot the entire device by hand.

If I flash down to 1.0.3.60 the problem goes away.

Hmmm...IPv6 has been working really well for me on this latest firmware. What variety of IPv6 does Time Warner provide? Like Comcast provides DHCP6-PD, for example. What works for me here is "DHCP" as the "Internet Connection Type", and "Auto Config" for "IP Address Assignment", but again, that's for me and DHCP6-PD. Using "Auto Config" for "Internet Connection Type" doesn't work right for me, but I haven't tried that for a long time now *smile*.

Hard to explain why this is happening, but Netgear did make some IPv6 changes between .60 and .68. It now works better for me on .68 than it did on .60, they fixed the last problem that I was having with it. They may well have broken things for others.

The way that I have opened my issues with Netgear is simple, just go to the web site my.netgear.com and open your issue(s) there. I have had several issues open there, and aside from the usual issues with support people not reading things correctly (be persistent, and be sure that they understand the problem), Netgear has responded just as I expected a support organization would. They will ask you for more information, most likely debug information, and will most likely send you a debug release or two for you to test once they think that they've fixed your problem.
Message 44 of 130
RogerSC
Virtuoso

RogerSC wrote:
Hmmm...IPv6 has been working really well for me on this latest firmware. What variety of IPv6 does Time Warner provide? Like Comcast provides DHCP6-PD, for example. What works for me here is "DHCP" as the "Internet Connection Type", and "Auto Config" for "IP Address Assignment", but again, that's for me and DHCP6-PD. Using "Auto Config" for "Internet Connection Type" doesn't work right for me, but I haven't tried that for a long time now *smile*.

Sorry, I meant using "Auto Config" or "Auto Detect" as "Internet Connection Type" doesn't work right for me. Only "DHCP" as "Internet Connection Type" works here.

Wish I could edit my own posts *smile*.
Message 45 of 130
bobcageon
Guide

Latest ***1.31 firmware has been running solid for me over the last week. I've noticed a little snappier web page response, and my iphone/android tablet have been running steady with no password (android) reset or re-authentication (really nice to see that.)
Message 46 of 130
RogerSC
Virtuoso

I just hit 7 days uptime with this firmware as well. For me, that's pretty remarkable, attributable to the fact that I haven't seen any other firmware that I want to try out lately *smile*. This firmware's working fine, fully functional for me. The router performs very well with it. Even the internet traffic page seems to be working properly, which gives me one way to monitor my network. The router logging, though, is still pretty bad, I don't know why Netgear filters so much out of the router log. Filtering should be by choice, I should have a way to find out what's really going on with the router, not just a few DHCP activity messages, and the odd attack false-alarm.

I have a debug version of firmware that's functionally very similar, and can turn on debug with it and see some real logs. But it's such a pain to do that, and if you don't have debug turned on all the time, you miss stuff. Like I know from the last time that I used the debug firmware version that I was still getting the Comcast "neighbour table overflow" messages, even though they're filtered out of the log that I see on the firmware that I'm currently using. Not very helpful. Of course, I can't do anything about it, since I can't telnet into my router and add an ip6tables rule that eliminates that problem with this firmware anyways.

So I am hoping for new tomato to play with that has the ping problems fixed, or dd-wrt with the IPv6 fixed so that it works for me. Right now, IPv6 works with dd-wrt, but it has the same problem that the initial stock firmware had, when I reboot or power-cycle the router, it has no internet connection when it comes back up. Which is not useful for me.
Message 47 of 130
jsmiddleton4
Tutor

Seems to be like the game of leap frog with these FW's.

When DD-WRT gets the latest Broadcom drivers incorporated into kong's FW might try it again. Right now the work to transition back to DD-WRT off this .31 from Netgear not worth it.

For me as you are reporting .31 is working great.
Message 48 of 130
howardagoldberg
Aspirant

Since upgrading to this firmware, I have had the following experience every 36-48 hours:

All internet connections go dead (both wired and wireless), and I cannot access the router firmware via the web browser. Rebooting the router clears the issue. The lights on the router appear normal throughout.

Last week, I reset the router and re-entered the settings from scratch. Still today, after about 36 hours of use, all internet connections and access to the router via web browser died.

I have reset the router once again (twice in fact), and put back the previous firmware (1.0.3.60) ... as there had been no issues for me with that firmware.

I don't have too much special going on. I use OpenDNS, and have IPv6 set to auto-detect (Time Warner Cable, 6to4 is detected and has been for some time ... even using the WNDR3700 prior to my upgrading to the R7000).

Ping/Jitter/Speedtest results are all excellent.

If I don't have an internet drop out again after two days, I will assume the issue is something with the .68 firmware and my particular modem and/or network setup.

Any thoughts? Would be happy to provide additional details if that would be useful (although I don't have too many more details to provide -- router logs always started "fresh" after the reboot, and as I said, I could not access the logs when the issue occurred).
Message 49 of 130
rmsarma
Aspirant

first call into support applied the firmware update now the router keeps power cycling every 30-45 mins... ys i did apply the f/w update via a wired connection ...
Message 50 of 130
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E