Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: New firmware for AX8 1.0.1.56 available and not good results

Garyrh66
Tutor

New firmware for AX8 1.0.1.56 available and not good results

Updated to the new firmware and it lowered my Wi-Fi speed. I have Comcast blast 250 Mbits. With 1.0.1.40 I was getting 300 Mbits down and with new firmware my speeds lowered to 50-70 Mbits. Back to 1.0.1.40 and speeds are back to 300 Mbits.

Message 1 of 17

Accepted Solutions
Garyrh66
Tutor

I found the problem. Login and change the 5g wireless channel to 153 and the mode to 2400Mbit. For some reason the new firmware changes  this. All is back to normal now with my wireless speed which is back to 300Mbits.

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 17

All Replies
Monstercastle2
Aspirant

Same issue here, but haven't rolled back yet.

Message 2 of 17
myersw
Master

Gush what a surprise!!

With Netgear's history of bad firmware, what did you expect?

Message 3 of 17
Navymac
Aspirant

Just upgraded and have Comcast Blast 150 with a Comcast Modem. (CISCO DPC3941B) I was getting 118Mbits. With The firmware update, I'm getting 108 MBits.  I'll keep a watch on it.

Message 4 of 17
microchip8
Master

you're beta testing still. People rushing immediately to get the latest and greatest instead of waiting to mature are virtually always beta testing, especially firmware-wise

Message 5 of 17

Did you reset the router to factory settings after the firmware flash?

New firmware sometimes introduces changes that are not compatible with the old configuration.

So while it isn't guaranteed to fix problems a factory reset is the first thing to try if you have issues with new firmware.

This is a nuisance because you then have to reconfigure the device all over again.

You can backup your settings before you reset and restore them later. But that may just bring back the fault. Then again, at least you will know if the reset fixed the problem.

Message 6 of 17
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Same results here too.  Went from 450 to 120 and that's with an ethernet connection, not wifi. 

Message 7 of 17
Garyrh66
Tutor

Reset set the router to factory default and it did not fix the problem

Message 8 of 17

OK. Always worth trying.

The factory reset is more a "witchcraft" move than a technically informed solution, but it does seem to fix problems sometimes, especially on the wifi front.

Message 9 of 17
Garyrh66
Tutor

I found the problem. Login and change the 5g wireless channel to 153 and the mode to 2400Mbit. For some reason the new firmware changes  this. All is back to normal now with my wireless speed which is back to 300Mbits.

Message 10 of 17
myersw
Master

@Navymac wrote:

Just upgraded and have Comcast Blast 150 with a Comcast Modem. (CISCO DPC3941B) I was getting 118Mbits. With The firmware update, I'm getting 108 MBits.  I'll keep a watch on it.

@Navymac 

Where I live Comcast over provisions so that my 250/20 tests more like 290/24. 

What speeds do you get connected directly to the modem with a PC?

Message 11 of 17
Garyrh66
Tutor

The blast speed in our area is 250Mbits down and 10Mbits up. I usually get 297 to 300Mbits down and 11 to 12 Mbits up direct from modem. Since I fixed the issue with the new firmware and now those speeds on both wired and 5g Wi-Fi.

Message 12 of 17
Navymac
Aspirant

Ill check today on connecting the Comcast Modem directly to my PC and get back to you. Good call as I am very very curious. Id hate to have to buy my own modem but maybe its cheaper in the long run

Message 13 of 17
myersw
Master

Cheaper depends on how long you have Comcast.

Speed in my experience was about the same.

Should you decide to get your own modem, be sure to check Comcast's site for compatable modems. They make it very easy. If PC is connected to new modem they pop up a browser window that takes you through setup. 

Message 14 of 17
Navymac
Aspirant

Ok, I checked. I get 118 Mbits with my PC connected directly to the Comcast modem and roughly the same with WIFI over the AX8. I have Comcast Blast 150

Message 15 of 17
myersw
Master

@Navymac wrote:

Ok, I checked. I get 118 Mbits with my PC connected directly to the Comcast modem and roughly the same with WIFI over the AX8. I have Comcast Blast 150

Sounds like a call to Comcast tech is in order. You should be getting at least what you are paying for. As I said above they typically over subscribe so you should be getting at the least your Blast 150. 

Message 16 of 17
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I checked my speed again with the old firmware 40 and my ethernet speed was at 350.   I then reinstalled firmware 56 and double checked that the 5g was still the same at channel 153 and mode 2400 as it was before the update.  The update didn't change this on mine.  However, the ethernet speed was back down from 350 pre-update to 120 post update.   I didn't even bother checking the wifi speed since the speed with the ethernet cord directly into the router dropped so drastically.  Went back to fw 40. 

Message 17 of 17
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7