New router blocking some previously accessed websites

Barney74
Aspirant

New router blocking some previously accessed websites

Hello. We recently upgraded our Talktalk broadband to fibre and got a replacement Talktalk router for our ancient but reliable Netgear router. Since we installed the new router I have been unable to access a couple of websites via my company's VPN. NB I was able to access them before with Talktalk regular broadband and the Netgear router. I have had my company IT dept speak to Talktalk and between them they've tried all sorts, coming to the conclusion it's the router that's the problem. Talktalk refuse to help as they don't support VPN even though I could access the website with the old set up! Any ideas of what I can do please?
Message 1 of 5
StephenB
Guru

Re: New router blocking some previously accessed websites

Can you access these websites when you aren't connected to the VPN?   Or are they websites on your company's network?

Also, is this a VPN software client that is installed on your PC (or mobile device), or is it something else? 

If you still have the old router you could try substituting it for the new talktalk one, and see if the websites are accessible again.  

Message 2 of 5
Barney74
Aspirant

Thanks for your response.

The websites are on my company's network and I can access them via VPN from my neighbour's network.

The VPN is a company portal that I log into.

Sadly we threw out the old modem before I picked up the issue. 😕 Talktalk suggested that I try a neighbour's router to see if this resolves the problem but I can't really ask anyone and Talktalk say they won't send a replacement so I'm stuck! Not keen to fork out on a new one in case same problem prevails.
Message 3 of 5
StephenB
Guru

One possibility is that you have an issue with DNS name resolution.  You could try changing the DNS servers used in the new router to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 (google's open DNS servers) temporarily - on a new Netgear router that would be on the internet setup page.  Of course I have no idea where it is on the talktalk.

If this portal is a true VPN it is also possible that the IP address range used inside your company conflicts with the IP address used by your new router.  So you could try resetting the LAN subnet.   If it is 192.168.1.x, change it to 192.168.0.x.  If it's anything else, try changing it to 192.168.1.x.

Both of these are easily reversed.  If they don't resolve it, you should loop in your company's IT team.

Message 4 of 5

@Barney74 wrote:
Talktalk say they won't send a replacement so I'm stuck! Not keen to fork out on a new one in case same problem prevails.

Sadly, you are dealing with what must be the world's, certainly the UK's, worst ISP. To my great fortune, Talktalk decided to abandon ADSL customers on BT and told me to get lost a couple of years ago and haven't looked back. (It says something that TalkTalk makes BT look superb.) If your contract allows it, try a different ISP.

In the meantime, it is not good, pretty hopeless in fact,  but have you tried TalkTalk's own user forum?

Home - TalkTalk Community

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements