Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

New router selection

Todd44
Follower

New router selection

I have spectrum for my IP. The router I currently own is not compatible with their modem. The requirements...... We recommend the router be a draft 802.11N router with a built-in gigabit switch. (Most 802.11GB and some draft 802.11N routers have a built-in full-duplex 10/100 Ethernet switch, which can prevent achieving appropriate speeds.) we have 4 smart tv’s, 3 phones, 3 laptops, and 2 game systems. I have a R6100 and would like more range to my garage also. What router do I need that will meet my requirements? Thanks.
Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
IrvSp
Master

Re: New router selection

@Todd44 wrote:
I have spectrum for my IP. The router I currently own is not compatible with their modem.

Are you SERIOUS??? There is no such thing? At least not that I'm aware of?

All routers have an Ethernet INPUT jack (RJ45) in the back. All modems should have a matching output jack. I should as Modem/Router combo's do NOT have that type of input connector usually.

This is the R6100, https://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/wifi-routers/r6100.aspx, and it fits your 'specifications'!

Now this part, "would like more range to my garage also", might be your REAL questions? Is it? If so, more data, like how far away IS the garage?

There are many solutions to that 'request'. Power line adapters, Wifi Extenders, Mesh systems... but you have to realize basically most routers will have the same distance for both the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz bands... and those distances can be modified by what is between the router and the device as well as any interference along the path as well.

So, what do you want/need? Specific as well as the SPEEDS of the devices.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
IrvSp
Master

Re: New router selection

@Todd44 wrote:
I have spectrum for my IP. The router I currently own is not compatible with their modem.

Are you SERIOUS??? There is no such thing? At least not that I'm aware of?

All routers have an Ethernet INPUT jack (RJ45) in the back. All modems should have a matching output jack. I should as Modem/Router combo's do NOT have that type of input connector usually.

This is the R6100, https://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/wifi-routers/r6100.aspx, and it fits your 'specifications'!

Now this part, "would like more range to my garage also", might be your REAL questions? Is it? If so, more data, like how far away IS the garage?

There are many solutions to that 'request'. Power line adapters, Wifi Extenders, Mesh systems... but you have to realize basically most routers will have the same distance for both the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz bands... and those distances can be modified by what is between the router and the device as well as any interference along the path as well.

So, what do you want/need? Specific as well as the SPEEDS of the devices.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7