Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

New router

Walkert20
Aspirant

New router

I have changed my routers name but when I look at selected devices. I still see a netgear37 5g. What is this? Why is there two different modems to choose from and is my password the same for both of them?
Model: R6900|Nighthawk AC1900 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
IrvSp
Master

Re: New router

@Walkert20wrote:
I have changed my routers name but when I look at selected devices. I still see a netgear37 5g. What is this? Why is there two different modems to choose from and is my password the same for both of them?

Not sure what you are saying?

Off hand if you are seeing BOTH the old name and new name for the router, just how and where are you seeing this? What 'program'? What OS?

If you see 2 different SSID's, and the one with 5G is the one you are questioning, that is the GUEST SSID I believe.

Password the same? Are you using SMART CONNECT?

Sort of sounds like changing the NAME of the router forced some other settings changes you didn't have before to me?

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 5

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What ISP Modem Mfr. and model # do you have?

Are you sure you changed both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz radios? Walk thru the set up wizard and it will help you set up and change the wireless SSID names of the WIRELESS. Not modems. You can manually change the SSID names as well. 

Any other neighbors with a Netgear router near by? 

@Walkert20wrote:

Message 2 of 5
IrvSp
Master

@Walkert20wrote:

Not sure what you are saying?

Off hand if you are seeing BOTH the old name and new name for the router, just how and where are you seeing this? What 'program'? What OS?

If you see 2 different SSID's, and the one with 5G is the one you are questioning, that is the GUEST SSID I believe.

Password the same? Are you using SMART CONNECT?

Sort of sounds like changing the NAME of the router forced some other settings changes you didn't have before to me?

Message 3 of 5
Walkert20
Aspirant

Thanks for the help.
I am seeing the main SSID in which I changed the name and I am seeing one that is associated with the router that is NETGEAR 5g. I have tried to use the same password to connect to it but it will not connect. I am not using the smart connect. I’m not sure I need or will use or know what the 5g SSID is used for. I was worried that it’s associated with the router but I couldn’t log into it.
Model: R6900|Nighthawk AC1900 Smart WiFi Router
Message 4 of 5
IrvSp
Master

Unfirtunately I can't see what you are seeing? I'll need more info. Like 'where' are you seeing this? On a PC as possible connections?

What device sees this? I assume it is a N or AC device? Are you seeing it in your device app or something else?

When you open the Router with Genie on a Browser, and look at the wireless settings. What are they all, 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz, and the same for the Guest accounts? List the SSID's.

I wonder if you are seeing a neighbor's router SSID's?

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7