Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

New setup have connection but no internet Nighthawk X6 R8000

walkl1
Aspirant

New setup have connection but no internet Nighthawk X6 R8000

I have spent the last 3 hours trying to troubleshoot why my computer, android phone and TV all show connected but have no internet.  I am not a techy but I followed the steps I believe.  Is there anyone out there that can walk me through the steps in simple terms as I am about to send this into orbit!!  

Message 1 of 17

Accepted Solutions
KGalore
Initiate

Re: New setup have connection but no internet Nighthawk X6 R8000

Symptom: no internet connection for connected wireless devices (wired fine)
How I fixed it myself...
Reset modem, reset router, set security setting on ONE bandwidth from WPA to none.
Tested connection and it worked.
Put the security WPA BACK on and everything still worked. Netgear support never tried that with me after an hour on the phone.

View solution in original post

Message 14 of 17

All Replies

You have a router. You also need a modem to connect that router to the Internet.

There is documentation ion this router here:

R8000 | Product | Support | NETGEAR

The Quick Start guide is a good place to begin. It shows how to plug things together.

Message 2 of 17
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Message 3 of 17
walkl1
Aspirant

I do have a modem hooked up to the router I followed the quick start Guide and same thing
Message 4 of 17
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@walkl1 Who is your ISP? What lights are lit on the router? 

Message 5 of 17
William10a
Master

Can you post a picture of the router's lights may be a picture or two will help to shine some light on the problem ?

Message 6 of 17
walkl1
Aspirant

A new day and a new start I reset everything and tried again.  I have internet but I do have a question.....why is it that the network Netgear18 shows on my PC but my phones, tv etc have Netgear18 and the 2 Netgear18 5G 1 and Netgear 5G2...which ones do I connect to?  I know stupid question!

Message 7 of 17
William10a
Master

Does your computer support the 5ghz band if not you could  get a usb ac wifi adaptor if you have a usb 3 port use that standard it will handle up to 4.8 gb data rate usb 2 supports 480mb data rate in a perfect world.

If your devices see the 5gz bands as well as the 2.4 ghz you can either but I would go for the 5ghz faster and less wifi traffic on it.

The netgear 18 is yor 2.4 ghz band and the netgear 18 5g's are 5ghz bands.

You may want to set up the router  now you have it work in default now

Message 8 of 17
LeeH
Prodigy

Netgear18 is your 2.4GHz network radio.  It is slower than the other two but it will give you a network connection farther away from the router than the other two 5GHz network radios.

Netgear18 5G 1 is one of your 5GHz network radios and Netgear 5G2 is your second 5GHz network radio.  They use different frequencies (bands) and work at the same time.  They give you a faster network speed but are more limited in range as compared to your Netgear18 network radio.

Message 9 of 17
KGalore
Initiate

So I have a similar problem...

Connection setup = ISP modem to R8000 router to wired laptop, AND wireless ipad

Internet access thru router via modem is confirmed on the wired laptop by connections to exernal web pages

Wireless connection is ON and confirmed on the wireless ipad ==> able to connect to the router Genie

Internet access cannot be secured on the wireless ipad despite being connected to the router

I spent an hour on the phone with NetGear support desk and ending having the reset the router...

Multiple resets on the router and the modem...

The firmware is up to date.

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 10 of 17
sofrustrated
Initiate

Unable to get an internet connection  - did the update of 1.0.3.36_1.1.25 and the connection was very intermittant but now I get nothing. Reboots to no avail. Hard reboot with the help of netgear's tech help, but when that did not work, they told me I was no longer in warranty and could pay to have further assistance. I have tried the auto detect through Netgear Genie... nothing. looking for any articles to try....

Message 11 of 17
sofrustrated
Initiate

Unable to get an internet connection  - did the update of 1.0.3.36_1.1.25 for my R8000 and the connection was very intermittant but now I get nothing. Reboots to no avail. Hard reboot with the help of netgear's tech help, but when that did not work, they told me I was no longer in warranty and could pay to have further assistance. I have tried the auto detect through Netgear Genie... nothing. looking for any articles to try....

Message 12 of 17

You have just joined in on an existing conversation that may or may not have anything to do with your problems.

There is a good chance that the official support team is busily monitoring new conversations and may miss your addition to this one.

If you want help with your problem, it helps to check all previous stuff that may be related, but then you should start your own discussion. In  this was you can also provide your own version of the information that the forum suggests that you provide.

If you do decide to ask a question, you really need to provide more details. For example, as this is a router, it helps to know what modem you are using and the various things that you have tried to fix the problem.

@sofrustrated wrote:

they told me I was no longer in warranty and could pay to have further assistance. 

That's a well known Netgear support scam that isn't even guaranteed, or likely, to fix your problem.

Message 13 of 17
KGalore
Initiate

Symptom: no internet connection for connected wireless devices (wired fine)
How I fixed it myself...
Reset modem, reset router, set security setting on ONE bandwidth from WPA to none.
Tested connection and it worked.
Put the security WPA BACK on and everything still worked. Netgear support never tried that with me after an hour on the phone.
Message 14 of 17
William10a
Master

Ever once in a while the answer to a problem is outside the normal box of answers glad you found a answer to fix your issue from the sound of your posting.

Message 15 of 17
pdj524
Aspirant

I upgraded today 5/8/2017 and I have the same problem 2.4 works fine but the 5g says no internet connection.

The version is V1.0.3.36_1.1.25

Message 16 of 17

@pdj524 wrote:

...2.4 works fine but the 5g says no internet connection.

What is telling you that there is no connection? The router? A wifi client?

Have you been through the steps described in the solution here?

PS You have joined in on an older discussion so there's a chance that the official support team will be too busy following new stuff to find your message. It is usually better to start your own fresh discussion if you want their attention.

Message 17 of 17
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 7 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7