Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: New to netgear

SaintJulio
Aspirant

New to netgear

Im planning to get a netgear and have a couple questions. Does Netgear need a modem to work or does it work as soon you connect the coax cable from the wall to the netgear will it work? Do you have to pay monthly like Xfinity for example? Im new to this and hopefully find an answer to this
Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions

@SaintJulio wrote:
Im planning to get a netgear and have a couple questions. Does Netgear need a modem to work or does it work as soon you connect the coax cable from the wall to the netgear will it work? Do you have to pay monthly like Xfinity for example?

A Netgear what?

What is the "coax cable from the wall"? It may or may not need a  modem, depending on what sort of Internet you get.

Ask your ##Internet service provider what equipment you need. It may offer to rent of sell you something. But most will let you use your own equipment

Xfinity is an ISP. All ISPs that I know of charge for access.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 11

All Replies
microchip8
Master

Yes, it needs a modem.
No, you don't have to pay monthly. It's your equipment.
Message 2 of 11
SaintJulio
Aspirant

Thank you so much for replying
Mind if i ask where i can buy a modem?
Message 3 of 11

@SaintJulio wrote:
Im planning to get a netgear and have a couple questions. Does Netgear need a modem to work or does it work as soon you connect the coax cable from the wall to the netgear will it work? Do you have to pay monthly like Xfinity for example?

A Netgear what?

What is the "coax cable from the wall"? It may or may not need a  modem, depending on what sort of Internet you get.

Ask your ##Internet service provider what equipment you need. It may offer to rent of sell you something. But most will let you use your own equipment

Xfinity is an ISP. All ISPs that I know of charge for access.

Message 4 of 11
SaintJulio
Aspirant

Thanks for writing back

I had xfinity but recently changed to fios but canceled there service not to long agoi

Netgear i was planning to get was ac1900 router
Message 5 of 11

@SaintJulio wrote:

I had xfinity but recently changed to fios but canceled there service not to long agoi

You'll have to sign up with someone to get onto the Internet. I'd wait until I chose that before deciding what equipment to buy.

Netgear i was planning to get was ac1900 router

That's not a Netgear model number. AC1900 is not a unique Netgear model number. Some devices come with the AC tag, but it is essentially a label that Netgear, and others, attach to hardware to describe wifi speeds.

AC1900 is also a somewhat ancient wifi technology from about five years ago. Does Netgear still sell that stuff?

Message 6 of 11
SaintJulio
Aspirant

LMAO okay what router do you recommend i should get
Message 7 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

I would check out something RAX or maybe a MK MESH system. R series routers aren't being made anymore and will eventually be EoL. 

Message 8 of 11
SaintJulio
Aspirant

Got you thanks bro
Message 9 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

👍

Message 10 of 11

@SaintJulio wrote:
LMAO okay what router do you recommend i should get

I would never recommend anything without knowing what you need. We don't all live at the bleeding edge

Go for the cheapest that fills the bill and meets your budget.

Try plugging your needs into the filters on the product pages:

Wireless Routers for Home | NETGEAR

and

Orbi: Whole Home WiFi System for Better WiFi Everywhere | NETGEAR

Then check back here for reports on the things you are considering, but remember that people turn up in this community with problems, not compliments. So look at reviews on Amazon, for example.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7