Newbie + Bandwidth Restrictions

Craigs
Aspirant

Newbie + Bandwidth Restrictions

Hi,

Can someone point me to a newbie guide on how to restrict bandwidth using the R8000?

I want to stop the kids iPads from slowing down Netflix on the Apple TV every time they hit up Youtube.

I'm not a network guy, so beyond a vague, "I think the router can do that?", I'm not sure where to go.

Ta.
Craig.
Message 1 of 7
TANWare
Star

Re: Newbie + Bandwidth Restrictions

With the new FW there is supposed QoS and this may help but I am not too sure. The best way for won is put them on the 2.4 GHz and make a separate password for the 5Ghz for yourself. This will limit them to the bandwidth of the slower connection and give the faster one.

Myself I have a 60/30 mbps connection so there is no real issue. Not knowing your internet speeds that may not be the case.
Message 2 of 7
Craigs
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply. They are already on a separate channel. The choke point is the internet connection. Rural ADSL2+. Considering where I am, it's not too bad. 3 kids streaming at the same time is fine. Throw Netflix in and it's one stream too far. My current strategy is to kick one kid off. But the whining gets a bit much. I'd much rather have all their devices get choked back a bit when I'm watching something.

So I need to wait for the next firmware? When is that due?
Message 3 of 7
TANWare
Star

I do not think, even with QoS, there is a way to do that specifically. All of you would be chocked, problem is you can't create bandwidth from nothing. It does allow for WIFI mm streaming but all of you are doing Multimedia.

What you can do is not enable QoS on your channel but use it to choke theirs. This though would be a 24/7 issue of limited bandwidth for them for everything.

Just be careful as if you use a drive for a NAS that drive will be choked over those wireless channels.
Message 4 of 7
Craigs
Aspirant

This would be where my lack of knowledge comes in. See I thought I could use the MAC addresses of the 3 ipads and the MAC address of the Apple TV. And tell the router that if the Apple TV turns on it should be given priority over the ipads. It's pretty clear I don't really know how QoS works 🙂
Message 5 of 7
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Craigs wrote:
This would be where my lack of knowledge comes in.

See I thought I could use the MAC addresses of the 3 ipads and the MAC address of the Apple TV. And tell the router that if the Apple TV turns on it should be given priority over the ipads.
🙂

You are correct this is how it use to work before this " dynamic crap " hit the scene. Now they (NG) set up rules which you can't delete. It's a joke who better than the admin knows what's a priority, they (NG) prioritized by type of service rather than user.
Message 6 of 7
TANWare
Star

searay wrote:
You are correct this is how it use to work before this " dynamic crap " hit the scene. Now they (NG) set up rules which you can't delete. It's a joke who better than the admin knows what's a priority, they (NG) prioritized by type of service rather than user.

Which I agree with too. There should be a way to disable the dynamic stuff and go back to the old way of forcing admin. In that respect I am sorry to see my old Trendnet go.

The only thing I don't know is if you do have a channel without QoS if it gives it the full pipe and then only allocates the remaining bandwidth to the QoS channels or visa-versa. Again all new here too for the dynamic stuff.
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E