Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Newbie question

DaveLeitch
Guide

Newbie question

Hi I want to force a device (Yamaha wx10 speaker) to connect on 2.4 and I'm using "smart connect". Is there any way to make that happen?

At the moment the device is sometimes visible to Apple Airplay 2 but not at other times. 

Equally even when the device is working it doesn't show up in the devices list. Like now. The music is playing but the device isn't visible to the Netgear app or when I log into the router on the computer.

On the other hand another device names Bose-SoundTouch does show up, and I don't own one of them. I guess maybe the Yamaha and the Bose share an ancestry?

Still its forcing the device (which I could rename) onto 2.4 that I want to do but still leave smart connect on for everything else

help appreciated as always. 

Model: RAX200|Nighthawk Tri-band AX12 12-Stream Wi-Fi 6 Router
Message 1 of 8
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

You could try to disable smart connect and then connect it to the band you want and then try enabling smart connect again. This may not work as smart connect decides what band to put each device on.

DarrenM

Message 2 of 8
plemans
Guru

1. what modem/gateway are you using? 

2. According to the manual, that speaker only supports 2.4ghz. 

3. what firmware is on the router? 

Message 3 of 8
DaveLeitch
Guide

Hi Plemans 

it is the latest/current  version of the firmware for both the router and the Yamaha. I don't see how the gateway is relevant but it's a Sagecomm 5366 reading the label. 

It is nice to confirm the speaker is 2.4 only, that is what I thought. I am becoming confident the issue is when the router puts it on 2.4 it works fine. Then from time time the router assigns the speaker to 5 ghz and it drops off. 

so I think I should assign to 2.4 permanently but I want smart connect for everything else. Sigh it seems gadgets still aren't good enough to do what seems so simple conceptually. 🙂

Message 4 of 8
plemans
Guru

The speaker won't move to 5ghz because it doesn't have the capabilities. 

You  might have a double nat issue as that sagemcom is a modem/router combo device. It could be whats causing your airplay issues. 

https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT

Do you have the sagemcom in modem only/passthrough mode? 

Or have you put the netgears IP address into the sagemcoms DMZ?

or you have put the netgear in access point mode?

Message 5 of 8
DaveLeitch
Guide

There could be a double nat, I will check that out, but I doubt it's the issue. In any case to get rid of double nat do I turn dhcp off in the sagecomm?  I get that the speaker won't do 5 ghz. 

Message 6 of 8
DaveLeitch
Guide

I see I have to put the Sagecomm into bridge mode. From memory it doesn't just have a direct way to do that. So I will need to work out what Bridge mode settings actually are. I remain of the view this is a minor issue and not the cause of the speaker disconnect.

Message 7 of 8
DaveLeitch
Guide

Well apparently the Sagecomm doesn't do bridge mode. That therefore was an opportunity to cut the Sagecomm out of the setup altogether so now the RAX 200 connects viat a FTTC box to the internet without any other cable modem. This is good as it must remove some overhead from the system, and it does indeed feel snappier. Will check whether it helps with the Yamaha speaker disconnecting.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7