Re: Nighhawk AC1900 Power Light Amber, two other white lights won't access the internet.

awillford
Aspirant

Nighhawk AC1900 Power Light Amber, two other white lights won't access the internet.

This morning while using wifi everything went dark. The router was not working. I reset the router and modum several times. I've tried hard resetting the Router mulitple times all with the same result. 

the power light is a solid amber, Guest wifi is white and wifi on/off is white. I can plug a device in and the port will light up but no internet. I've confirmed with my ISP that the internet is working and I can plug directly inot the Modum and successfully access the internet. 

I'm not sure what else to do. Everything I've read says solid amber and hard resetting not working is a hardware issue or corrupt firmware. 

Model: R6900P|Nighthawk Smart WiFi Router with MU-MIMO
Message 1 of 7

Re: Nighhawk AC1900 Power Light Amber, two other white lights won't access the internet.

I'm not sure what else to do. Everything I've read says solid amber and hard resetting not working is a hardware issue or corrupt firmware. 

There is the answer. Broken firmware.

If you cannot rescue it with a recovery reset:

• Press reset for 30 seconds
  • Keep pressing reset while removing power
  • Keep pressing reset for another 30 seconds while apply power

Then you may be reduced to trying TFTP:

How to upload firmware to a NETGEAR router using Windows TFTP | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 2 of 7
microchip8
Master

And next time, turn off Automatic Firmware Updates. Always do it manually on a wired PC

Routing: NETGEAR R7800 - Voxel Firmware 1.0.2.86SF & Kamoj addon
Switching: 2x NETGEAR 8-ports (GS108v4) / 1x NETGEAR 16-ports (JGS516v2)
Desktop: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - Server: Intel Core i7-7700K - NAS: Intel Pentium G4400 - Cruncher: Intel Core i5-7400
Message 3 of 7
awillford
Aspirant

Thank you, I'm afraid that might be above my ability but I will give it a try. I will turn off auto-updates I never thought it would cause this issue.

I'm having trouble pinging the router when I plug my laptop into it - I'm not sure what the IP address is so I was just trying everything I found on the web. thoughts? 

Message 4 of 7
microchip8
Master

The router's own address is http://192.168.1.1

also check on your computer if you get an IP address from the router. If not, you can't reach it

disabling auto update is in the Advanced administraction -> firmware upgrade

Routing: NETGEAR R7800 - Voxel Firmware 1.0.2.86SF & Kamoj addon
Switching: 2x NETGEAR 8-ports (GS108v4) / 1x NETGEAR 16-ports (JGS516v2)
Desktop: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - Server: Intel Core i7-7700K - NAS: Intel Pentium G4400 - Cruncher: Intel Core i5-7400
Message 5 of 7
awillford
Aspirant

You're saying, hook the ethernet cable to my computer and then one of the ports on the router? Run the comand Ping 192.168.1.1?

Message 6 of 7

You might find it useful to throw a question at Google:

Google Search – how to unbrick a router

If you can find a video, it can help guide you through the process.

It isn't a straightforward process, but it can save you the cost of a new router.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements