Night Hawk R6700v3 not getting 1 gig speed

AocGham
Aspirant

Night Hawk R6700v3 not getting 1 gig speed

I just upgraded to 1 gig speed and when I connect to my comcast modem through ethernet I get about 900 mbps. My router however, when I connect to it with an ethernet cable I only get up to 250 mbps. This goes across for all my devices that are connected to my router. I am using all CAT 5e and CAT 7 cables. Why am I not getting the speed that I am paying for. I know it not always going to be 1000 mbps but I always got 200 mbps before I upgraded my speed. If I'm going to pay for it I at least want it faster than 200 mbps.

Message 1 of 5
plemans
Guru

Re: Night Hawk R6700v3 not getting 1 gig speed

@AocGham wrote:

I just upgraded to 1 gig speed and when I connect to my comcast modem through ethernet I get about 900 mbps. My router however, when I connect to it with an ethernet cable I only get up to 250 mbps. This goes across for all my devices that are connected to my router. I am using all CAT 5e and CAT 7 cables. Why am I not getting the speed that I am paying for. I know it not always going to be 1000 mbps but I always got 200 mbps before I upgraded my speed. If I'm going to pay for it I at least want it faster than 200 mbps.

do you have anything like access control, trafficn monitoring, qos, or any other traffic monitoring enabled on the R6700v3? If so, it disabled ctf (cut through forwarding). I've even read of them being disabled but the settings being retained for some reason. 

First thing I'd start with?

Factory reset the router. 

When you install the router new, only setup your ssid/password configuration. Test it from there. If that's hitting your speeds, then you can change other settings.

Plus QoS isn't recommend >250mbps. 

What modem is it connected to?

Firmware on the router? 

Current setup: CM2000-> RBKE963B-> Trendnet TEG-S380-> GS716T-> pi-hole
1.4gig download/50mbps upload
We’re members of the public helping out on our own time.
Message 2 of 5
AocGham
Aspirant

@plemans wrote:

@AocGham wrote:

do you have anything like access control, trafficn monitoring, qos, or any other traffic monitoring enabled on the R6700v3? If so, it disabled ctf (cut through forwarding). I've even read of them being disabled but the settings being retained for some reason. 

When you install the router new, only setup your ssid/password configuration. Test it from there. If that's hitting your speeds, then you can change other settings.

Firmware on the router? 

I did do a facotry reset and setup my router on my own without the genie or wizard. Everything is turned off. Still no high speeds. The modem is the newest one from comcast. Connecting straight to the modem gives me high speeds. My router is connected straight to the modem via cat 5e. The router is more than capable to handle those speeds. I dont know whats going on. firmware is up to date. I believe its the 1.0.4.8something. 

Message 3 of 5
AocGham
Aspirant

@AocGham wrote:

@plemans wrote:

@AocGham wrote:

Firmware on the router? 

I did do a facotry reset and setup my router on my own without the genie or wizard. Everything is turned off. Still no high speeds. The modem is the newest one from comcast. Connecting straight to the modem gives me high speeds. My router is connected straight to the modem via cat 5e. The router is more than capable to handle those speeds. I dont know whats going on. firmware is up to date. I believe its the 1.0.4.8something. 

@plemans 

Message 4 of 5
plemans
Guru

@AocGham wrote:

I did do a facotry reset and setup my router on my own without the genie or wizard. Everything is turned off. Still no high speeds. The modem is the newest one from comcast.----what one is it? this is key. comcasts newer ones are integrated router/modem devices with their own qos/routing function  Connecting straight to the modem gives me high speeds. My router is connected straight to the modem via cat 5e. The router is more than capable to handle those speeds. I dont know whats going on. firmware is up to date. I believe its the 1.0.4.8something. ----again, this is important. R6700v3 got the netgear armor update. Some devices had issues. But we won't know for sure without knowing your comcast setup to make sure its running right. 

Current setup: CM2000-> RBKE963B-> Trendnet TEG-S380-> GS716T-> pi-hole
1.4gig download/50mbps upload
We’re members of the public helping out on our own time.
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E