× Some paid Circle Parental controls customers may be showing free options only. Router firmware correcting this issue will be available ASAP. Visit Status.NETGEAR.com for updates.

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Top Contributors
Highlighted
Aspirant

Night Hawk R7800 5 GHz band connection issues

We were having some trouble with the internet at our home so the cable guy came out and gave us a new modem.  I had to do a factory reset on the router because it wasn't being recognized.  Now the 2.4 GHz band works fine (all my devices are on that band).  The SSID for the 5 GHz band shows up on the list of WiFi options, but when any device is connected to the 5GHz band there is never any internet connection.  It looks like it's working but it never connects.

Has anyone else been able to solve this connection issue.  It is not intermittent.  Or is is just time for me to buy something other than Netgear?

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 Wifi Router
Message 1 of 9
Highlighted
Master

Re: Night Hawk R7800 5 GHz band connection issues

If you had done a search you would have found many more customers with the same issues. 

IMHO Netgear firmware right now is crap and return for some other vendor if within return window.

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Message 2 of 9
Highlighted

I see you have go the usual unthinking, tedious and unhelpful response from someone who boasts of having no Netgear stuff on their Netgear, a guarantee that their information is, er, deficient.  So, rather than hijacking your discussion and telling you to buy something close, let's tackle your problem.

What firmware version do you have on the device?

A number is more useful than "the latest". (It may not be by the time people read this.) There can also be newer versions, or "hot fixes", that do not show up if you check for new firmware in the browser interface.

There have been issues for a handful of people with the latest firmware for the R7800, so trying an earlier version might be a good idea.

It might also help if you told people what the modem is in front of this router. The model number could be useful. Is it, by any chance, also a router, with a set of LAN ports on the back?

When an ISP replaces a modem, you have to rebuild the network from scratch. The router has to forget its time connected to the old modem. Your reset should have cleared that. But did you also restart everything as required?

Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:

• Turn off and unplug modem.
  • Turn off router and computers.
  • Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
  • Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it connect.
  • Turn on computers and rest of network.

@Southland62 wrote:

The SSID for the 5 GHz band shows up on the list of WiFi options, but when any device is connected to the 5GHz band there is never any internet connection.  It looks like it's working but it never connects.

Did you set up the SSIDs as before? Have you told your wifi clients to forget the connection and set it up again from scratch?

Here too the devices may be remembering things best forgotten. After all, wifi is a two-way process. Sources and clients have to play nicely together.

Have you tried playing around with the wifi modes? Turned off/on Smart Connect?

Settings:

>> Advanced >> Setup >> Wireless Setup

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 3 of 9
Highlighted
Master

@michaelkenward 

I like to make sure you keep your blood pressure up. 

And as you know I have helped folks both with fixes and ideas, not just suggest different vendor. 

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Message 4 of 9
Highlighted
Aspirant

Thanks for taking the time to answer me with a helpful response. :-)

The firmware version on my router is V1.0.2.62.

The modem in front of the router is an Arris model number TM1602.  It is not a router type modem.

I did power cycle the modem, router and computers in the order

I gave the 2.4 GHz SSID the same name as I had before.  I gave the 5 GHz SSID a new name with 5G at the end.  So I don't think it's a problem with the SSID connections being stale.  Because the 2.4 GHz band with the same SSID as before is the one that works.

I have not used Smart Connect because it will assign devices to the 5 GHz band and there will not be any internet for those devices.

Any other ideas would be appreciated.

Message 5 of 9
Highlighted

@Southland62 wrote:

The firmware version on my router is V1.0.2.62.

Did you reset the router to factory settings after the firmware flash?

New firmware sometimes introduces changes that are not compatible with the old configuration.

So while it isn't guaranteed to fix problems a factory reset is the first thing to try if you have issues with new firmware.

This is a nuisance because you then have to reconfigure the device all over again.

You can backup your settings before you reset and restore them later. But that may just bring back the fault. Then again, at least you will know if the reset fixed the problem.

The factory reset is more a "witchcraft" move than a technically informed solution, but it does seem to fix problems, especially on the wifi front.

@Southland62 wrote:

I gave the 2.4 GHz SSID the same name as I had before.  I gave the 5 GHz SSID a new name with 5G at the end.  So I don't think it's a problem with the SSID connections being stale.  Because the 2.4 GHz band with the same SSID as before is the one that works.

It isn't so much stale connections as a "disagreement" between the wifi clients and router. If you look at the connections, you'll see that the router takes its cues from the MAC addresses of the wifi clients. The SSID and password are just a part of the picture. So it sometimes helps to tell the wifi clients to forget any older connections they made to wifi devices with the same SSID

In this case, that doesn't seem to be a likely issue.

Some people have had issues with the latest firmware on the R7800. For them the previous version is better.

I have not used Smart Connect because it will assign devices to the 5 GHz band and there will not be any internet for those devices.

Have you tried it? Or are you just assuming that it will mess things up?

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 6 of 9
Highlighted
Master

The .62 firmware is known to (still) have issues with the 5 GHz band. I recommend downgrading to .58

Routing: NETGEAR R7800 - Voxel Firmware 1.0.2.77SF & kamoj addon
Switching: 2x NETGEAR 8-ports (GS108v4) / 1x NETGEAR 16-ports (JGS516v2)
Desktop: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - Server: Intel Core i7-7700K - NAS: Intel Pentium G4400
Message 7 of 9
Highlighted
Aspirant

Have you tried it? Or are you just assuming that it will mess things up?

I actually tried it for a while.  It soon started assigning devices the to 5 GHz band and then they all stopped being able to connect to the internet.

I'll try the factory reset again.  I did that when the technician gave us a new modem.  Do you really think it will help to do it again?  It's such a pain.

@michaelkenward wrote:

Some people have had issues with the latest firmware on the R7800. For them the previous version is better.
What version of Firmware is better?

Message 8 of 9
Highlighted
Aspirant

Thanks.  I just asked that question to someone else.

Message 9 of 9