Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Night Hawk X6 R8000 AC3200 Firmware Upgrade Causing New Problem!

Rich-Hatch
Aspirant

Night Hawk X6 R8000 AC3200 Firmware Upgrade Causing New Problem!

After upgrading to the latest firmware release two days ago, I try to go to any websites that I haven't been to before or haven't been to in a long time like "gearhead.netgear.com", I have to refresh the page multiple times in order to view the  page.

Websites like CNN.com or Amazon.com will work fine, it just the websites that are new or haven't been to in a long time will not load the first time. It happens with any browser or any device in my household.

When I try to go to the gearhead.netgear.com page, I get the following page displayed.

Web Page Display When Going to Netgear!.jpg

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Night Hawk X6 R8000 AC3200 Firmware Upgrade Causing New Problem!

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

That URL redirects me to https://www.netgear.com/home/services/gearhead/ at work. Not sure if same would be behind the router. 

Message 2 of 8
plemans
Guru

what firmware version are you on? 

Is IPv6 enabled? (try enabling it if not)

Message 3 of 8
Rich-Hatch
Aspirant

My NG is connected to Xfinity PN/CGM414X Modem/Router. I have had this Modem/Router for years without any problem. The only thing that changed in my system was updated NG firmware.

Is there a way to move the firmware back to the old version?

Message 4 of 8
plemans
Guru

A couple things. 

1. you can downgrade the firmware. You download it from the support site, extract it, and then follow the manual update process but use the older firmware. 

2. Your gateway is a modem/router combo device. It causes a double nat which can sometimes cause issues. 

A double nat happens when you cascade more than 1 router.
https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
Fixes? There’s 3 options but only use 1.
1. Put the modem/gateway in modem only/pass through mode. This disables its routing functions.
2. Leave the modem/gateway in router mode but put the Netgears IP address into its DMZ. This forwards the data to the netgear. You can either leave the modem/gateway’s wireless enabled or disabled. Just make sure its using a different wifi channel to prevent interference
3. Put the Netgear into access point mode. This disables its routing functions. Wifi/ethernet still works but it does disable some features.
https://kb.netgear.com/26765/Which-features-are-disabled-on-my-NETGEAR-router-when-it-is-set-to-AP-M...

Message 5 of 8
Rich-Hatch
Aspirant

I'm on firmware version V1.0.4.76_10.1.82.

1) I guess I'm not connected to IPv6. See below:

2) Do I need IPv 6? I didn't need IPv6 before firmware upgrade.

Do I Need IPv6? I didn't need IPv6 before firmware upgrade.Do I Need IPv6? I didn't need IPv6 before firmware upgrade.

Message 6 of 8
plemans
Guru

I'd try enabling it. It then has the router use the ISP's IPv6 dns server and that can sometimes help. 

If it doesn't, then try the downgrade. 

Message 7 of 8
Valkrey
Initiate

If you haven't already figured it out by now, it is the latest firmware on your Nighthawk that is causing your problem.  I had the same issue a few months ago so I rolled back to version 1.0.4.68 and have had zero problems.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7