Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Night hawk Router AC1900 Model R7000 with Extender EX6110

Lumo
Follower

Night hawk Router AC1900 Model R7000 with Extender EX6110

Hi,

I have become the resident house IT person due to Covid lockdown (meaning I am out of my depth most of the time).

I have a Nighthawk router R7000 located upstairs in my office.  

Due to Covid lockdown there are now 5 people working from home.

I work upstairs and the others work in rooms downstairs.

I placed a wifi Extender EX6110 downstairs approx 3.5m lineal distance from the router. Signal strength to that part of the house is approx 90%.

I need to extend the signal another 4.5m from the Extender location through 2 x block walls. Currently the signal keeps glitching.

I contacted Netgear Support and they advised to get the EAX 80.

Would this be effective with my R7000 router

Your help is really appreciated by me and the entire family. 

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Block walls are great at blocking wifi. 

I'm not surprised you're having issues with a stable signal through those walls. 

Even going to an EAX80 isn't going to change much as the basic transmission power of routers/extenders hasn't changed with new standards (actuall decreased with 6E). They've just gotten a little more sensitive and able to operate better on a lower signal. 

And the EAX80 is quite expensive. 

If you need to get something through 2x brick walls, a better bet might be to check into a powerline setup with a wifi access point like the PLW1000. Or to use a moca adapter (ethernet over coax) to get through the walls. 

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 5

All Replies

@Lumo wrote:

I contacted Netgear Support and they advised to get the EAX 80.

Are you asking of you can add this to the network that already has the EX6110? Or do you want to replace it?

The EX6110 is a pretty basic repeater. I am not surprised that it has a limited range. The property you describe doesn't sound that huge.

The EAX80 is a fancy and horribly expensive device that does Mesh wifi. Neither the EX6110 or the R7000 supports Mesh, so you would get none of the benefits of that technology, which is designed to provide seamless wifi between a network of wifi sources.

Have you tried moving the EX6110 nearer to the "dead zone"?

The EAX80 might be powerful enough tp eliminate the need for the EX6110, but so would a more powerful, but less expensive, extender that doesn't do Mesh.

What sort of devices do people want to connect to the network? Wifi devices or fixed things like PCs that can do Ethernet? If so, it might be worth investigating Powerline Ethernet. This uses the mains circuit as a substitute for wired Ethernet.

You can even get Powerline devices that come with a wireless access point as the remote plug. That would be one way to get wifi into the dead spot.

You might also get more help in the appropriate section for your extenders.

WiFi Range Extenders & Nighthawk Mesh - NETGEAR Communities

You could also go to the products pages and feed in your needs:

WiFi Boosters & Extenders | Wifi Range Extenders | NETGEAR

Message 2 of 5
plemans
Guru

Block walls are great at blocking wifi. 

I'm not surprised you're having issues with a stable signal through those walls. 

Even going to an EAX80 isn't going to change much as the basic transmission power of routers/extenders hasn't changed with new standards (actuall decreased with 6E). They've just gotten a little more sensitive and able to operate better on a lower signal. 

And the EAX80 is quite expensive. 

If you need to get something through 2x brick walls, a better bet might be to check into a powerline setup with a wifi access point like the PLW1000. Or to use a moca adapter (ethernet over coax) to get through the walls. 

Message 3 of 5
sktn77a
Virtuoso

Get the WiFi Analyser app on your (android) phone or windows computer and read the signal strengths directly at the different locations.

Message 4 of 5

@sktn77a wrote:

Get the WiFi Analyser app on your (android) phone or windows computer and read the signal strengths directly at the different locations.

Good thinking.

Get as much evidence as possible, and play around with what you have now, especially before you splash out on an expensive Mesh extender.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7