Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

NightHawk 8500 - Throughput speeds slow when using router vs direct PC connect - WebPass ISP

mpmdallas
Initiate

NightHawk 8500 - Throughput speeds slow when using router vs direct PC connect - WebPass ISP

My ISP is WebPass. They provide direct network access into my building.  There is no cable modem that I connect to. By default the ISP expects a direct connection from the wall outlet straight to the PC/MAC. WebPass only guarantees their speeds directly to a PC or MAC as they do not provide or support any Wi-Fi routers.

My router is a NightHawk R8500.

Connecting an ethernet cable from the wall into my PC directly allows me get up 300MBPS when perfoming a Speedtest.net evalutation. If I plug the ethernet cable into my NightHawk 8500 and connect my MAC  to the NightHawk either via hardwire or wi-fi, my test speeds drop to between 2 - 9 MPBS, depending.

When I first setup my NightHawk 2 months ago, I verified that I could get speeds via wi-fi between 250 - 290.  After about 2 weeks then, I noticed speed degradation. However, a hard reset fixed the problem. Now in the last few weeks,  I have noticed the same degradation. My troubleshooting attempts include the following:

1) Factory reset (holding reset button for 20 seconds). Did this twice.

2) Reinstalled the lastest firmware.

3) Tried turing on/off QoS.

4) Several reboots.

It is odd to me that NetGear would have problems like this, so I'm hoping there is a setting that perhaps I am missing.  I have gleaned through this forum, but did not find anything new to try.

Any information is appreciated. Thanks.

Model: R8500|Nighthawk X8 Tri-Band AC5300 WiFi Router
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
TheEther
Guru

Re: NightHawk 8500 - Throughput speeds slow when using router vs direct PC connect - WebPass ISP

Go to Internet Setup on your router and clone your computer's MAC address.  This will fake out the ISP into thinking your router is your computer.  This may bypass any potential bandwidth throttling the ISP may be using to prevent people from installing their own routers.  There is no guarantee that this will work.

Other things to try are to temporarily disable traffic metering, MAC address access control and port forwarding rules on the router to rule out their involvement.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
TheEther
Guru

Re: NightHawk 8500 - Throughput speeds slow when using router vs direct PC connect - WebPass ISP

Go to Internet Setup on your router and clone your computer's MAC address.  This will fake out the ISP into thinking your router is your computer.  This may bypass any potential bandwidth throttling the ISP may be using to prevent people from installing their own routers.  There is no guarantee that this will work.

Other things to try are to temporarily disable traffic metering, MAC address access control and port forwarding rules on the router to rule out their involvement.

Message 2 of 3
mpmdallas
Initiate

Thanks for the info. I did what you suggested about cloning the MAC address. It make a significant jump in speed to almost 100MB. I now think the the ISP does some sort of throttling without saying it does. Thank you very much for the tip.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7