Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

NightHawk R7000 Connected to Netgear CM1100 , updated Firmware v1.0.11.116_10.2.100, slow Net speed

gary60
Follower

NightHawk R7000 Connected to Netgear CM1100 , updated Firmware v1.0.11.116_10.2.100, slow Net speed

Hello all ,  I have an issue with getting data throughput close to what my current plan is.  Here is the scenerio.

I am with cable provider Sparklight.  I was on a 100 mbs plan but recently upgraded to 600plus plan.

My equipment: 

HP Envy x360 laptop with Win10 64bit Version 1909 OS Build 183631440 and GigaBit ethernet interface. , RAM 16GB , Intel i7-85550U CPU @ 1.80 Ghz

Router - Nighhawk R7000 , firmware version V1.0.11.116_10.2.100 (the latest as of April 2021) firmware was v1.0.09.xx util a few days ago. , no QoS setup , no access control setup .  Except for SSID names and PWs , all other settings are at default.

Cable Modem - When I upgraded the plan , I bought a Netgear CM1100 to replace the Arris SB6183 to utilize the the new plan 600mbs throughput.

Laptop is less than a 1-ft behind the R7000 router and the Cable modem is approx 8-ft away from the other devices.

Cables -  ALL ETHERNET CABLES ARE CAT6

Cable modem to wall is coaxial R58

Computer is hardwared into R7000 , R7000 is hardwired into CM1100.

I began speed testing my throughput.  I was getting somewhere between 45 mbps to 130mbps , all depends on the time of day,  way below the 600mbps.  So I began troubleshooting. Checked laptop and router.  Nothing (won't bore u wth my troubleshooting procedures).   Then connected computer to CM1100 network port.  Approx the same thruput usually less than 100mbps.

Next day Sparklight tech came out, checked the coxial cable connections entering home and to the Loft which equipment is located.  He placed his analyzer on the line,  got one time a reading of 600mbps BUT any further readings were about 95mbps.  He told me that his analyzer was acting up and the last few visit to customers and company would not give him a replacement.  But when I connect laptop to the cable modem again I would get simmilar to what the tech got.

Tech left and needless to say I had same performance until evening of the next day.  Connected directly to cable modem port and began getting 400 to 530mbps speeds consistantly.  But then connected laptop to the router different port and thruput went down between 80-120 mbs.

I tried our Android Smartphones and a Apple iPad Pro. All devices had a speedtest of less than 80 mbps.

I reset the router to factory,  Reinstalled the firmware ver V1.0.11.116_10.2.100 then did another factory reset.  Reconfig R7000 to basic settings and it did not change anything.   So I know now that  the cable modem and my computer ports can do the speed over 500mbps .  The issue is the R7000 router .  I exhausted my ideas and I do not have port analyzing equipment to diagnose the ethernet ports on the router.     Please any thoughts on this issue.

Message 1 of 5
lpn24
Aspirant

Re: NightHawk R7000 Connected to Netgear CM1100 , updated Firmware v1.0.11.116_10.2.100, slow Net sp

Have same prob any solution pls.

Message 2 of 5
Kitsap
Master

Re: NightHawk R7000 Connected to Netgear CM1100 , updated Firmware v1.0.11.116_10.2.100, slow Net sp

You have powered on/off, connected, and disconnected many times for each piece of hardware.  They are confused and retain some of the old settings even after a restart.

Start off by powering down your modem, router, and computer.  By power down I mean turn off and disconnect the power cord.

Disconnect the ethernet cables.

Power on and startup the modem.  Give it plenty of time to go through the startup process and stabilize the connection over your cable. 

Connect an ethernet cable between the modem connection LAN 1 and your computer.  Then power up and boot the computer.  Use the stand alone Ookla test application available from the Windows store.  This should give you a baseline value and match what your ISP plan provides.

Power down and disconnect the power from your laptop computer and disconnect the ethernet cable.

Leave the modem powered up, connect an ethernet cable from the modem LAN 1 port to the router WAN port.  Power up and start the router.  Give it plenty of time to go through the startup process and stabilize.  Check the router LED’s.  In particular your power on and internet connection LED’s should be white in color as opposed to amber.

Connect an ethernet cable from the router LAN 1 port to your laptop.  Power up your computer and let it fully boot and stabilize.  Run the Ookla test application and compare to your baseline.  It should compare well.

For the Wi-Fi coming from your router, if you have good hardware on the receiving end and connect to the 2.4 Ghz band, a good value is 100 Mbs.  For the 5.0 Ghz band, a good value is 300 Mbs.

The above values are not speed.  By definition speed relates distance over time, such as miles per hour or feet per second.  The data values above are volume, such as gallons per minute for liquid or cubic feet per second for air.  The marketing world has completely tainted the units of measure by calling them speed.

When you reset your router, you are not resetting it to factory.  You most likely have no idea what firmware was installed when it left the factory.  Reset changes all of the values to firmware default, not factory default.

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 3 of 5
antinode
Guru

> [...] Reinstalled the firmware ver V1.0.11.116_10.2.100 [...]

Not the latest.  And "latest" and "best" are spelled differently for
a reason.

Visit http://netgear.com/support , put in your model number, and look
for Downloads.  (For older versions, under Firmware and Software
Downloads, look for "View Previous Versions".)  Find the kit(s).
Download the kit(s) you want.  Read the "Release Notes" file for
instructions.  (In the User Manual, look for "firmware", and,
especially, for a topic like "Manually Upload Firmware to the Router".)
When that fails because of a deficient User Manual, try:

https://kb.netgear.com/23960

> Cables - ALL ETHERNET CABLES ARE CAT6

Tested?

> Then connected computer to CM1100 network port. Approx the same
> thruput usually less than 100mbps.

> The issue is the R7000 router .

Not the most obvious conclusion.

> The above values are not speed. By definition speed relates distance
> over time, such as miles per hour or feet per second. [...]

That's _one_ definition of "speed", not _the_ one definition of
"speed".

> [...] The data values above are volume, such as gallons per minute for
> liquid or cubic feet per second for air. [...]

No, they're speeds.  And they're certainly _not_ "volume".

The usual definition of "volume" implies a unit of measurement like
"gallons" or "cubic feet" (or liters), which are not specific to liquids
or gases ("air").  Any _rate_ (quantity/time), such as "gallons per
minute" (obviously _not_ a "volume") or bits per second, qualifies as a
"speed".  At least it might to someone who doesn't think that "gallons
per minute" describes a "volume".

So, the magnitude of a linear velocity is a "speed", but the
magnitude of an angular velocity" is _not_ a "speed"?  And such a
definition is useful _how_, exactly?

> [...] The marketing world has completely tainted the units of measure
> by calling them speed.

Sure.  Where "tainted" means "usefully generalized".  If you want to
waste everyone's time by getting all pedantic, _without_ generating
laughter, then it might pay to make some sense.

Yow.

Message 4 of 5
lpn24
Aspirant

Thank you..
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7