NightHawk R8000 - hangs if USB storage is connected

kbc
Aspirant
Aspirant

NightHawk R8000 - hangs if USB storage is connected

I have been having this issue since the last one plus years. NightHawk R8000 - hangs if USB storage is connected ->> https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/NightHawk-R8000-hangs-if-USB-storage-is-conn...

I basically stopped using USB storage (ReadyShare) for over an year.

Now my firmware is the latest: V1.0.4.18_10.1.49

Still the same issue. If I connect USB (2 or 3) storage, the router hangs.

This is extremely frustrating.

I basically had given up.

Then I thought it's been more than a year, and maybe it's fixed. No it's not.

The same USB storage, it works perfectly fine with an EnGenius router.

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 7
IrvSp
Master

Re: NightHawk R8000 - hangs if USB storage is connected

Both ports work fine for me.

What IS the storage device, make and model? Is it Portable or Powered? Portable draws power from the router and could bog it down or be the reason it doesn't work.

What is the File System format of the storage device? NTFS works best. Some others may not.

Do you see ANY errors? Does it show as attached on the READYSHARE page?

How are you determining if it is 'active'? On Windows 10 by any chance and using Windows Explorer to look for it?

Message 2 of 7
kbc
Aspirant
Aspirant

What IS the storage device, make and model?

iOmega Select Desktop Hard drive

Is it Portable or Powered?

Powered.

Portable draws power from the router and could bog it down or be the reason it doesn't work.

It's got it's own power source.

What is the File System format of the storage device? NTFS works best. Some others may not.

NTFS

Do you see ANY errors? Does it show as attached on the READYSHARE page?

No errors. Just that after about 5 minutes after I connect the USB cable, the router hangs.

i.e. it doesn't accept any WiFi connections. Existing connections are kept dormant - i.e no internet.

How are you determining if it is 'active'? On Windows 10 by any chance and using Windows Explorer to look for it?

Routerstops accepting new WiFi connections.

Existing connections, there's no internet access.

It'll still be connected though.

The point is it used to work perfectly fine before.

Message 3 of 7
IrvSp
Master

You didn't mention the size of the drive? Large, 4TB's or more or small, 1TB or less?

I'd suspect large and you have many multimedia files on the drive. Suspect you've enabled DLNA server as well?

I'm thinking that the 'time delay' is caused by the rebuild of the DLNA database everytime you plug the drive in or reboot the router with the drive plugged in?

Again, if I am correct, you could have a bad media file that stops the building of the SQL DLNA database and that hangs?

Even possible that you have a bad sector on the drive. Take it to a Windows PC and run in a CMD prompt CHKDSK driveletter /F and see if it finds an error. You can't run it via a network share or attached drive.

If you were using DLNA, while it is on the PC, delete the .readyDLNA folder, it gets rebuilt automatically.

Message 4 of 7
kbc
Aspirant
Aspirant

@IrvSp wrote:

You didn't mention the size of the drive? Large, 4TB's or more or small, 1TB or less?

It is 1TB.

I'd suspect large and you have many multimedia files on the drive. Suspect you've enabled DLNA server as well?

Yes, enabled.

I'm thinking that the 'time delay' is caused by the rebuild of the DLNA database everytime you plug the drive in or reboot the router with the drive plugged in?

I ran a chkdsk and then deleted the ".readyDLNA" folder.

And then connected it again. And as usual the router hung.

But this time I left it undisturbed for about 4 to 5 hours.

Still it had NOT recovered.

Again, if I am correct, you could have a bad media file that stops the building of the SQL DLNA database and that hangs?

I ran chkdsk.

Even possible that you have a bad sector on the drive. Take it to a Windows PC and run in a CMD prompt CHKDSK driveletter /F and see if it finds an error. You can't run it via a network share or attached drive.

No bad sectors were found.

If you were using DLNA, while it is on the PC, delete the .readyDLNA folder, it gets rebuilt automatically.

Done that.

Message 5 of 7
IrvSp
Master

Two last questions.... are any PC that are connected running Win10, and specifically version 1709 or later... and what is the FileSystem of the drive?
Message 6 of 7
kbc
Aspirant
Aspirant

@IrvSp wrote:
Two last questions.... are any PC that are connected running Win10, and specifically version 1709 or later... and what is the FileSystem of the drive?

FileSystem = NTFS

Here's the output from chkdsk, on the external HDD::
Windows has scanned the file system and found no problems.
No further action is required.

976760000 KB total disk space.
 260408848 KB in 49719 files.
     15216 KB in 3773 indexes.
         0 KB in bad sectors.
    150748 KB in use by the system.
     65536 KB occupied by the log file.
 716185188 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
 244190000 total allocation units on disk.
 179046297 allocation units available on disk.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements