Re: NightHawk R8500 VPN Service TAP or TUN for Android

bh56
Tutor

NightHawk R8500 VPN Service TAP or TUN for Android

Just received my new NightHawk R8500 Router.  I thought it was going to be the latest and state of the art router.  Disspointed to discover the VPN Service is only OpenVPN and that it currently does not appear to support Android.

Looks like the R7000 might be getting an update.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/R7000-VPN-Service-TAP-or-TUN/m-p/998601#M202...

But who knows when the R8500 might get one.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/R8500-TUN-VPN-iOS-Support/m-p/1009160#M21559

Replacing an Asus one that had both Open VPN and PPTP clientless VPN Server.

Documentation appears that it shoould work but does not.

Has anybody figured out how to change the configuraiton file to get it to work on Android?

Netgear, are you working on this?  I may end up returning this router if it can do the basics for me.

Asus had this several years ago.

Message 1 of 13
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Welcome to the community, @bh56

That might be a possibility that it will be supported soon.

Let me ask our engineering team about this.

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 2 of 13
bh56
Tutor

Thank you for your response and looking into this.  I will hold off returning my R8500 a little bit until I hear back from you.  I have started looking at alternative Routers that can support this functionality.

Message 3 of 13
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@bh56 They said that they plans adding it but we do not have any ETA.

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 4 of 13
bh56
Tutor

Thanks for the reply, but that doesn't give me much confidence in delivery.  To me this is basic functionality and very important to me.  As I mentioned my 2+ year old Asus router support for this out of the box.  I can't see why this wasn't there to begin with.  I belive OpenVPN has supported this for a while.  With the increase focused on security, VPN is a lot better then opening a tunnel into your home network.  I would think many more consumers would be interested in this feature working.  I think you should get an ETA from them for others.  I will continue my search for one that has out of box functionality.  I don't want to downsize to your R7000.  I will probably look at your competitors options.  Obvious choice my previous vendor.  Let me know if you can find out anything more specific.

Message 5 of 13
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Thank you for that feedback.

I definitely understand your concern.

Rest assured that I will let the management team know about this.

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 6 of 13
pspec
Guide

did they come back with a date yet

thanks

Message 7 of 13
bh56
Tutor

No.  The R7000 firmware has been in beta for some time as well with no relase date the last time I checked.  This is why I returned my router and purchased a new Asus one that has it, to upgrade my older one.

Message 8 of 13
Creaton
Aspirant

I'm on the same page - I just bought this Netgear R8500 after having an Asus rt-ac66u for 2 years and:

#1 - could access basic network shares remotely MUCH easier (with sufficient security); didn't require me to buy ReadyNAS HW or be stuck sharing from the attached USB drive only...

#2 - due to #1, VPN support (via TUN for mobile) is REQUIRED for this thing. I'm stuck trying to get eqivalent basic function as to my cheaper Asus.

Admittedly, the Asus router had buggy FW for a while to start with when it was new - and I do see a definite advantage to the extra HW in this puppy. I'm just basically a little annoyed that it was $399 and still not basic function. ARGH!!!!

Also, the SW in general on the Asus was a lot smoother looking and easier to manage around. I like the attempt at the Network Device visual map on the Netgear - but, it needs work... it all looks just a little dated. Not confidence inspiring.

A random security concern I found; if you could actually access the browser that a router admin had used to configure the router (password recovery specifically) then form autofill will get you the router password. By simply going to the router login page and starting password recovery, they will get the recovery questions and can simply try each letter of the alphabet and autofill will pop up the correct answer when they get to the starting letter. 2x and they get the router password. That seems kind of like basic security stuff that shouldn't happen - again - not confidence inspiring.

I'm kind of on the fence about taking it back too for an Asus; I'd like to see a roadmap or definite date of availabiltiy for FW or a better accessible beta FW page or SOMETHING... cutting edge is fine - just throw those taking the ride a better bone!

Message 9 of 13
Arepaking
Aspirant

Any updates about R8500 supporting VPN for smartphones?

Message 10 of 13
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Arepaking It looks like that it's in the pipeline but it's uncertain as to when it will be implemented.

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 11 of 13
Morac
Initiate

I'm curious about this as well. 

I am looking to buy a new router and was looking at the R8500 (and R8000) since they support OpenVPN.  I was disappointed when I saw that they didn't support TUN, more so when I saw that the R7000 added support for TUN back in November's 1.0.5.48 firmware, which isn't even the latest firmware.

Message 12 of 13
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Morac NETGEAR values your feedback. I suggest that you give a kudo on this idea which was already posted in our Idea Exchange board.

Thank you!

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 13 of 13
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E