Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: NightHawk Update

DreSt56
Aspirant

NightHawk Update

I don't have a smart phone, just a Dell laptop. Can I use the NetGear app on my laptop?

I'd like to update my NightHawk firmware but can't find the proper cable.

Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 1 of 14

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

If you're truly dedicated to making sure you do it over ethernet, they make a usb-ethernet adapter. it looks like your model has usb C and usb A ports so either adapter should work for you. Just search amazon for usb 3.0 ethernet adapter. Or usb c ethernet adapter.  You'll find quite a few and then just choose the one you want.

Or you can try it over wireless.

Or even borrow someone's laptop that has an ethernet port for you to use.

Up to you which route you choose. 

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 14

All Replies
plemans
Guru

@DreSt56 wrote:

I don't have a smart phone, just a Dell laptop. Can I use the NetGear app on my laptop?

I'd like to update my NightHawk firmware but can't find the proper cable.

I would recommend using a browser and not the app. I've had inconsistency with the app and the best results using the browser gui. You can login via routerlogin.net or using the IP address of the router.  

Any firmware upgrade is recommended over an ethernet cable. if you don't have that option, you can do it over wireless. It just increases chances of corruption or errors. Thats why hardwired is always recommended. Here's your support site where you can get firmware, manuals, etc. 

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/R7000P.aspx

Message 2 of 14
DreSt56
Aspirant

Hi Plemans!

Thanks for your reply.

I see that on the front of my NightHawk P7000R, there is a USB port.

Can I use that to connect to my laptop for the update?

Sincerely,

Andre'a

Message 3 of 14
plemans
Guru

No. Conncecting your laptop to the router by the USB port wouldn't work with your device.

If you don't have an ethernet cable, you can do it over wireless. it'll still work this route but it's recommened to be done over an ethernet connection. 

Message 4 of 14
DreSt56
Aspirant

Hi, again!

My laptop has several USB ports and a HDMI port. The ethernet cables I have access to, don't have an end that is compatible. If I were to purchase an ethernet cable, which one would work with my laptop? I'd rather not deal with any corruptions or errors that might occur doing it wirelessly.

Thanks, again!

Message 5 of 14
plemans
Guru

What model is your laptop? 

Message 6 of 14
DreSt56
Aspirant

I have a Dell Inspiron 7573.

Message 7 of 14
plemans
Guru

If you're truly dedicated to making sure you do it over ethernet, they make a usb-ethernet adapter. it looks like your model has usb C and usb A ports so either adapter should work for you. Just search amazon for usb 3.0 ethernet adapter. Or usb c ethernet adapter.  You'll find quite a few and then just choose the one you want.

Or you can try it over wireless.

Or even borrow someone's laptop that has an ethernet port for you to use.

Up to you which route you choose. 

Message 8 of 14
DreSt56
Aspirant

Hi Plemans,

Thanks for the info!

I'll get an adapter.

Thanks again,

Andre'a

Message 9 of 14
DreSt56
Aspirant

So, I'm getting ready to do the update. Am I using the correct cable? It's yellow has the appropriate connectors and is labeled:

"Patch Cord 2835 E87647-DG 5|...| AWM 60(degrees)C 30V   LL58663 CSA AWM   1  A 80(dregrees) 30V FT1    ETL VERIFIED TO TIA/EIA 568A CAT5"

Also, how will I know that my laptop is using the wired internet access and not using the wireless?

As you may be aware, I'm not very techy and appreciate the hand-holding!

Message 10 of 14
plemans
Guru

Did you buy the USB adapter? If so plug it in. In you windows network settings, it should show a wired connection. If you want to, you can disable the wireless by placing cursor (mouse pointer) over wifi signal bars bottom right, right click, open network and sharing center, change adapter settings, right click on any adapters that say wireless and select disable. You can reenable by reversing this.
Message 11 of 14
DreSt56
Aspirant

Hi Plemans,

I finally got around to trying to do the Update and got as far as downloading the Firmware to my desktop. Once I did that I tried to open it but all that happened was it opened my File Explorer. There are 2 files there.

I opened the one that's titled "R7000P-V1.3.1.64_10.1.36.chk" (which is a "Recovered File Fragement") whereupon I get a pop-up warning asking what I want to open it with. When I clicked on "use a web service to determine which program to choose I just got an internet search of "open chk". This all seems suspicous.

The other file is an HTML doc that describes the fixes and suggests downloading the update by following the instructions in my Users Manual. Isn't that what I was doing to begin with?

How should  I proceed?   

Thanks,

Andre'a

Message 12 of 14
schumaku
Guru

@DreSt56 wrote:

I finally got around to trying to do the Update and got as far as downloading the Firmware to my desktop. Once I did that I tried to open it but all that happened was it opened my File Explorer. There are 2 files there.

One is he release notes html to read, the other is the firmware file which will be selected by the upload process.

@DreSt56 wrote:

I opened the one that's titled "R7000P-V1.3.1.64_10.1.36.chk" ....

Exactly follow the process as shown in the release notes, e.g. https://kb.netgear.com/000060566/R7000-Firmware-Version-1-0-9-64 - there is no word of open (double click, whatever) the .chk file.

Message 13 of 14
DreSt56
Aspirant

Hi,

I followed all the steps you gave me but the file you sent was "incorrect". I then tried the "update" button on the routerlogin.net page and it worked!

After the update I got a page that asked if I wanted to get the updates automatically. Yeah!

Thanks,

Andre'a

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7