NightHawk X10 R9000 horrible wifi speed and range

GotBoost
Aspirant

NightHawk X10 R9000 horrible wifi speed and range

well I just purchased this router last night and I have the router set up in one of the bedrooms and when i go to the other bedroom its down to 1 bar and keeps dropping out. speeds are ridiculously slow. it doesnt even work in my kitchen which is halfway to the other bedroom. mind u my apartment is only 1100 sq ft. the router to the kitchen is not even 30ft away. the other bedroom is probably about 75 feet away. there has to be something wrong somewhere. this is not possible for a $500 router.. my Arris surfboard 7580 was working everywhere even halfway down the hall to the lobby of the complex. Please tell me what im doing wrong...

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4

Re: NightHawk X10 R9000 horrible wifi speed and range

Is that both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz wifi?

As this is a "smart" device, it may take some tweaking.

There is a manual for your device somewhere at the end of this link:

>>>> R9000 | Product | Support | NETGEAR <<<<

Try a few things and see if that helps. As it is, we don't know much about how you have set the thing up.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 2 of 4
GotBoost
Aspirant

well support had me downgrade the firmware and some other things, made no difference. they told me to exchange it. went to BestBuy and exchanged it for a new one. Took it out the box and connected it. MADE ZERO changes to the settings and didnt even upgrade the firmware this time. I left it as is. V1.0.0.68  I even purchased a brand new modem as well. I purchased the CM1000. and so far at least being only 30ft away from the new router it isnt dropping out. but the signal strength is very very weak still. within 1-3 ft from the router its at 100% then at about 20 ft away it drops down to 70-80% and at about 40ft it drops down to 25-35%. which is still very very weak. I dont know what to do... at least it isnt dropping out but its still a very very weak signal. Any suggestions???

Message 3 of 4
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Change channel on the router. 

Improving 2.4Ghz Wireless Performance by Changing Channel

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies