NightHawk X8 (R/D?)8500 - Does it support NAT loopback / Hairpin routing?

metafor
Aspirant

NightHawk X8 (R/D?)8500 - Does it support NAT loopback / Hairpin routing?

Hi, I am looking to buy a new modem and require it to meet specific requirements.

It HAS to have the following as I host servers and like to use the external address on the internal LAN:

- NAT Loopback (Some call it Hairpin routing?)

I would also like to confirm that this modem is sutiable for:

- Low latency gaming via VDSL

- Link Aggregation to a NAS ( I believe that it has this )

So I guess my only quesition is, does the NightHawk X8 D8500 support NAT loopback ?

Also what is the difference between the D8500 and the R8500, many thanks.

Model: R8500|Nighthawk X8 Tri-Band AC5300 WiFi Router
Message 1 of 19
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: NightHawk X8 (R/D?)8500 - Does it support NAT loopback / Hairpin routing?

Welcome to the community, @metafor

Yes, both devices supports NAT loopback.

R8500 is a router while the D8500 is a modem and router in one. 

It looks like the R8500 meets your requirement. 

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 2 of 19
GearNetRouter
Virtuoso

R7000 does not I know for sure. I would check the manual first as seems like in theory they don't suppor the capability. I asked this question on Amazon after purchase and their "expert" rep lurking there didn't know what it is. Went completely over the boy's head. Even a Linksys WRT 54g from back in the old days has NAT loopback.

Message 3 of 19
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@GearNetRouter Can you direct me to that amazon page? As far as I know, R7000 should support NAT loopback. 

Edit: The R7000 supports NAT loopback. 

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 4 of 19
GearNetRouter
Virtuoso

I know what I read. In fact saw it again recently while looking there for clues to a technical problem I could not get answered here. Unfortunately I am not willing to wide thorugh 1000's of reviews for the benefit of NG. It's there if you and NG want to look for it. I know its not in my R7000 manual nor GUI. You deal with it as you should do this work and you should know it = onus is on you and NG.

Message 5 of 19
GearNetRouter
Virtuoso

IMO I want to add and be more blunt about my point. Instead of saying "as far as I know:" you should say I know it does or I know it does not. Dont ask us to do your work. Support is bad enough when calling in. And if you are not sure then you to are wasting the cusomers time. Enough issues where NG absolutely embarrases themself already.

Assuming you really didn't know, then you should communicate directly with NG and post the answer or look it up in the manual assunming your dont have some other database. Frankly Im pissed that you would ask me to do your work. Its BS.

Message 6 of 19
metafor
Aspirant

So just to confirm, given the confusion above.

If I buy this modem I will be able to connect to an INTERNAL web server by using my EXTERNAL url that is mapped to my modems external IP . ie NAT loopback.

If I buy this modem and cannot do the above (ie traffic does not leave the network and come back into the network via the external URL) , then this will not do what I want and does not have NAT loopback and I will have to return it.

Just looking for extra confirmation and any source documents to back it up if possible. As I have no wish to buy a $500-600 modem if it cannot do what I need it to do.

Thanks again
Message 7 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

R8500 is a Router, not a modem. if there is a D in front of the model # this is the DSL version of the router. So D8500 is a Modem with a built in router however I don't see a D8500 as a dsl modem/router available. 

http://netgear.com/home/products/networking/dsl-modems-routers/

My Setup (Cable 1Gbps/50Mbps)>CM1200 v2.02.03(LAG Disabled)>RBK50 v2.7.2.104(WW) Circle, DST and Traffic Meter>Enabled
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CAX80/CM2000, Orbi CBK40, R7800, R7960P, EX7500/EX7700, XR450 and WNHDE111
Message 8 of 19
GearNetRouter
Virtuoso

BTW my R7000 replaced a Linksys WRT 54g. I placed the R7000 into service the year it was introduced by NG. NAT loopback was a feature used by me on the WRT 54g to test some other hardware I run. It was not part of the R7000 feature set. I had an expecation that a $200 router would have NAT loopback. You can search this topic here on NG's board "R7000 NAT lolopback" and see other compaints. I beleive the router is capable of it if you use open source firmware but its not possible with Netgear fimware. Same for RFC 1483 transparent bridge mode. For the less techically inclided they are not gonna swap out their firmware -- assuming that even works. 

What irks me is NG clearly asked "what's that?" on an AMZN thread I read ages ago and today on this board they are clueless still - uncertain of their own products features and instead asking the customer. Insane.

Message 9 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

https://community.netgear.com/t5/General-WiFi-Routers/Need-a-Home-WiFi-Router-that-supports-NAT-Loop...

My Setup (Cable 1Gbps/50Mbps)>CM1200 v2.02.03(LAG Disabled)>RBK50 v2.7.2.104(WW) Circle, DST and Traffic Meter>Enabled
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CAX80/CM2000, Orbi CBK40, R7800, R7960P, EX7500/EX7700, XR450 and WNHDE111
Message 10 of 19
GearNetRouter
Virtuoso

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/NAT-Loopback-on-r7000/m-p/1186436#M44276

The person used non NG firmware to get it to work. I don't see any tick box in the GUI. Not discussed in manual at all. What up?

Anyway NG should respond. Customers debating and BS ing about a feature and support starts hiding. What kind of service is that?

Message 11 of 19
metafor
Aspirant

Agreed, I'd just like a definitive answer from some one who KNOWS for certain what their products can do.

The question I need answered, once again is.

Does the Netgear X8 D8500 Modem Router support NAT loopback?

Here is the product page for those who can't find it.

http://www.netgear.com.au/home/products/networking/modem-routers/D8500.aspx

Background:

I had an old NG ADSL2 modem that DID support Nat loopback, that was fine until I moved to iinet and got VDSL, so they gave us a modem for VDSL but it didnt have Nat loop back, so currently I have VDSL modem in bridge mode, connected to the old ADSL2 modem to use its Nat loopback functionality, then onto my network. I would like to replace BOTH of these modems with a single Modem Router (X8 D8500, for the great wifi, also for the link agregated ethernet ports for my NAS) as long as this modem FOR SURE has Nat loop back.

I would love it if an NG rep could confirm this, and supply proper documentation backing up their claims so that I dont go out and buy this modem only to find out they were wrong.

Message 12 of 19
GearNetRouter
Virtuoso

Have you looked through the manual?

Message 13 of 19
metafor
Aspirant

Yes, there is no mention of Nat loopback, nor hairpin routing

Message 14 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Loopback isn't something thats mentioned in user manuals or seen on support sites. It was mainly for advanced uses and server configurations. I believe since years have passed. Some Mfrs have removed the feature in some of there routers since the average home user probably don't have a need for this kind of configuration. Seen this with other router Mfrs. Home class routers are designed for the average home user. Just want to un-box it and get it set up and run it. More advanced users or business class configurations should look into researching Mfrs for features they specifically need as Business class routers usually have this feature. Ya maybe cost more however better suited to these configurations. Users can also check into 3rd party FW as well. 

Modems usually don't have loopback. If your wanting details on a specific modem thats marketed in a specific region, users should phone contact the router Mfr support and ask them for specific before buying. 

Message 15 of 19
GearNetRouter
Virtuoso

IMO consumers should demand this feature. If running an IOT device you want to be able to check remote access with it. I agree hardware has become more about ease of use and made for the average Joe. Combo/modem routers, VPN without dual authentication etc. Its all rubbish.

Message 16 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Loopback isn't really needed for IoT devices. Most Mfrs have the ability to let users test and check there devices from home or from remote locations. 

Message 17 of 19
GearNetRouter
Virtuoso

Hmmm i have conventional devices. Impossible to pretend you are on remote if you are on the LAN. Your's must be from Star Trek.

Message 18 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

I have conventional devices too. Routers, cameras, DVR. Nothing special. 

Message 19 of 19
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements