Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

NightHawk x10 r9000 bottlenecking internet/ Not getting Full internet speed

nerfedweapons
Aspirant

NightHawk x10 r9000 bottlenecking internet/ Not getting Full internet speed

I have a CM700 netgear Modem (1.4GBps capable)

the R9000

currently paying my ISP for a gigabit

Have had a tech come out twice to check the connections, both time, same results as follows:

when checked with the Technicians hardware:

970 down from the cable

960 down from the modem

300-400 down from the router

When checked with my laptop (2011 macbook pro, is gigabit capable, i checked multiple sources including the laptop itself):

Modem: could not connect

Router: max reading wa 425 wireless, 400 wired.

When checked with my Xbox one (it is gigabit capable I checked):

wireless: 20-30 mbps

wired: 20-40 mbps

The anomaly with the xbox is that the connection is all over the place, speed test provide the 1 readout but actually downloading a game to put a strain on the network provided better real time results, I would see mostly 10-20 mbps, occasional spike up to 150 but only lasting approximately 2-3 seconds before dropping back down. I did see it twice spike up to 800 mbps but for literally a split second before it dropped back down to 10-20 mbps.

I've gone through netgear customer support, couldnt figure it out.

I've gone through my ISP's support, couldnt figure it out.

I even called Xbox customer support thinking it might be my xbox, still couldn't figure it out.

^^^

thats the hard facts. My problem is I'm paying for gigabit internet and thats whats coming down the line but somewhere its getting slowed way the hell down. I also tried to look for firewall settings but couldn't find any, and also tried to check the QoS settings but all it had there was 2 check boxes for WMM setup for the 2.4 and 5Ghz bands, basically turning it on and off, no actual specific settings to allow me to direct most of it to the xbox, which is what i'm trying to do.

I have not yet tried a factory reset BUT I'm about to do that to both my modem and router to see what happens. I just wanted to post this first to give anyone out there time to read this and possibly provide some advice on the situation.

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
nerfedweapons
Aspirant

Re: NightHawk x10 r9000 bottlenecking internet/ Not getting Full internet speed

-wired speed from the modem measured with the ISP Tech guys device was 960
-Wired speed measured with the Mac is 400
-Wired speed measured with the Xbox is 10-20

All that being said, the ISP tech came out again and ran new cables from the telephone pole and installed one of their modems, the speeds improved significantly as follows:

-wired speed with ISP Techs device is 960
-wired speed with Mac is 600-700
-wired speed with Xbox is 150-300

I think there is something wrong with the Xbox for it not to be getting the full speed but it is getting a good amount so I'm happy with it for now.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 6

All Replies
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello @nerfedweapons

I suggest that you log a case with support. 

Message 2 of 6
William10a
Master

What do you mean ((When checked with my laptop (2011 macbook pro, is gigabit capable, i checked multiple sources including the laptop itself):

Modem: could not connect)) did you use lan cable port to port from the modem to the Macboox? or try by wifi?

Message 3 of 6
nerfedweapons
Aspirant

I mean that I checked it with an Ethernet through the router and then through the modem and it would not connect to the modem at all and the speed listed was what I got through the router but I figured out the problem it was the modems chipset so the modem was the issue
Message 4 of 6
StephenB
Guru

I suggest focussing on wired performance first, then circling back to wifi.

I'm not completely sure I'm following this correctly, But I think you are saying 

-wired speed from the modem output is measured at 960 mbits with the mac pro

-wired speed from the router LAN output is confirmed to be 400 mbits with the same mac pro

-wired speed to the router from the xbox is on measured at 20-40 mbits.

If correct:

The router is capable of keeping up with the modem output (smallnetbuilder measured 938 mbits WAN->LAN throughput).  I'm not sure what is causing speed drop, but I am wondering if you have another PC or MAC to test with. 

But i'd start with the horrible xbox wired performance.  That is either a hardware problem with the xbox, a bad cable, or a LAN port issue with the router.  You can rule out the cable by trying another one (likewise with the LAN port).

Message 5 of 6
nerfedweapons
Aspirant

-wired speed from the modem measured with the ISP Tech guys device was 960
-Wired speed measured with the Mac is 400
-Wired speed measured with the Xbox is 10-20

All that being said, the ISP tech came out again and ran new cables from the telephone pole and installed one of their modems, the speeds improved significantly as follows:

-wired speed with ISP Techs device is 960
-wired speed with Mac is 600-700
-wired speed with Xbox is 150-300

I think there is something wrong with the Xbox for it not to be getting the full speed but it is getting a good amount so I'm happy with it for now.
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7