Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: NightHawk x10 r9000 wifi dropping issue

dabears
Star

NightHawk x10 r9000 wifi dropping issue

Hello,

I just purchsed Netgear Nighawk X10 AD7200 R9000 wifi router last week and i installed the latest firmware version 1.0.1.36 and I am having issue where the WIFI SSID Drops totally from the network and when you go back and try to connect any devices, you can't see the SSID.  Its like it doesn't exist on the network.  The only solutions is that i have to reboot the router and the SSID and connections are made again successfuly and everything works as it should.  This happens to all across the board frequency's 2.4 GHz, 5 Ghz, or the new 60 GHz.  I would like to know if any one else is having similar issue with the router or if there is a bug on the new firmware version what is the fix for it?   I also did change the channels on 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz.  2.4 GHz on channel 11 and 5 GHz on channel 161.  Any help would be apperciated or else only resort for me is to return the router within 14 days and get different option. 

Thank You

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 170

Accepted Solutions
kmerenda1
Star

FYI to all:

I called Netgear support to tell them flashing the firmward didn't work, so they are going to replace the unit.  I exeplained to the representative that there were mutliple users complaining of the same issue on the community site, and he told me that the team that handles the advanced issues (tiger team, he called it) told him to replace the unit.  There wasn't anything else he could do.  

Maybe if the next unit has the same problem they will finally engage engineering, as no one seems to be watching this community site.

View solution in original post

Message 13 of 170

All Replies
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Welcome to the community, @dabears

When did the problem start? After updating the firmware?

Did you try resetting the unit after firmware upgrade?

If you have not, factory reset it then reconfigure the settings manually. 

Message 2 of 170
dabears
Star

I purchased unit on 3/3/2017.  As soon as i go the device i updated the firmware to latest version and than configured the device.  Are you aware of the any issue?  If not that i will have return the device and get different brand.

Message 3 of 170
LeeH
Prodigy

Did you do the reset that @ElaineM was talking about?  You usually have to reset after any firmware change because many problems can occur after a change if the reset is not done.

Message 4 of 170
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

We do not have any known issue as what you have described.
If you the SSID disappears then check for the LED on the unit and if it's turning off intermittently then you might have a faulty unit. 

Message 5 of 170
schumaku
Guru

Not experienced such issues on the Nighawk X10 AD7200 R9000 on 1.0.1.36, rock solid. If the issue remains following a factor reset, I suspect a hardware issue. 

When talking of the 60 GHz - you have a system supporting 802.11ad on 60 Ghz already?

Message 6 of 170
dabears
Star

I will have to try reset and see what happens. Most likely i am suspecting bad unit but lets see.

Message 7 of 170
kmerenda1
Star

I can confirm that I have the exact same issue.  Wi-Fi disappears every night.  Have to restart to repair.

I called Netgear support and they had me re-flash firmware, staying on v 1.0.1.36.  The issue happened again two days later.  I even did a factory reset after the firmware flash, but no luck.

Message 8 of 170
dabears
Star

I had similar issue where 2.4 GHZ wifi just dropps of the network. I did reset the device as well as flush the firmware but still no luck. There can't be two devices that are defective?  I think its firmware issue.  In my case the wifi drops and the white light on the router for 2.4 GHz is not ligt anymore.  I am going to Best Buy today and returning this device.  If i spend $500 for a device i would expect to work without any issue.  Let me know thoughts?

Message 9 of 170
dabears
Star

By the way it happend last night at 11:41 PM.. dont know if that matters but i keep track of time when it happens.

Message 10 of 170
kmerenda1
Star

Same here - 2.4g light goes out. Both 2.4 and 5g networks are gone, but only the 2.4 light is off. In the router config, both Networks are enabled and broadcasting
Message 11 of 170
kmerenda1
Star

I haven't caught the exact time my wi-fi goes out, but it is sometime between 10p-5a.

Message 12 of 170
kmerenda1
Star

FYI to all:

I called Netgear support to tell them flashing the firmward didn't work, so they are going to replace the unit.  I exeplained to the representative that there were mutliple users complaining of the same issue on the community site, and he told me that the team that handles the advanced issues (tiger team, he called it) told him to replace the unit.  There wasn't anything else he could do.  

Maybe if the next unit has the same problem they will finally engage engineering, as no one seems to be watching this community site.

Message 13 of 170
dabears
Star

Thank you for reaching out to support for us..  but i am still not sure if they have multiple units go bad at the same time.  I am going to roll back to older firmware and see if that is stable.. It could be bad stable firmware as it always happens with vendors that releases firmware without testing in the lab environment and makes customers as their QA testers  and fixes the bugs along the way as we report them.  If the problem still exist than i will return the router.

Message 14 of 170
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@dabears Kindly contact support for further analysis of the issue. 

Message 15 of 170
dabears
Star

Hello,

I have returned my original unit and waiting for the replacement to arrive today.   Once that arrives i will  reconfigure and see if we still have same issue.

Message 16 of 170
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Thank you for the update. Keep us updated.

Message 17 of 170
kmerenda1
Star

I just got my replacement unit.  Upon initial setup, I found something interesting:  it shipped with firmware v1.0.0.68, and the "check for update" feature within the router says that the firmware is up-to-date.   The support page for this product still shows 3 other firmware releases.  I wonder if Netgear identified a bug and pulled the advertisements so routers wouldn't update until they fixed it.  Just a theory.

I'm going to manually update to 1.0.1.36 and see how it goes.

Message 18 of 170
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@kmerenda1 How's the connection so far? I tried replicating what you mentioned but now it sees the updated firmware. 

Message 19 of 170
dabears
Star

I just got mine yesterday and i updated to firmware  V1.1.0.36  and it shipped with the version V1 1.0.20 .  I am going to see if the issue happens again. It doens't happend right away.  you have to wait and it pops up out of no where while you are in the middle of using your network.  

Message 20 of 170
kmerenda1
Star

So far it has been stable, but it's only been one night. I had the old one in operation for just over a month before I had any problems.
Message 21 of 170
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Keep us updated. 

Message 22 of 170
Carlos70
Tutor

Hi my R9000 is updated to the latest firmware and when i switch it from router mode to bridge mode the WIFI signal disappear (both 2.4 and 5 GHZ).

Also it has been presenting connecting delay when trying to open sites.

I'll probabluy switch to my R8000 as it is far more stable thant R9000.

is there any firmnware uopgrade coming to solve these issues?

Carlos

Message 23 of 170
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Carlos70 When you use Bridge mode, the router will not broadcast any SSID anymore. What it'll do is that it will connect to the main wireless router wirelessly. When it's in bridge mode you can only use the LAN portion of the unit to connect your devices. 

What is bridge mode and how do I set it up on my NETGEAR router?

Message 24 of 170
dabears
Star

Update: After getting replacement router  and manually updating router with 1.1.0.36 version it hasn't gone done yet. It has been solid. Its been 2 weeks so far.  Keep you posted if it goes crazy again.

Message 25 of 170
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7