ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: NightHawk x10 r9000 wifi dropping issue

@dabears Feel free to keep us updated. 

Message 26 of 170
Redtulips7
Luminary

I have finish installing Nighthawk r9000 Router, so far no dropping with new non beta firmware!! But hey Netgear no QOS setting? And Devices name nad pictures are way outdated example Note 4, Window 8 etc. why not put Desktop, Laptop etc. one bad thing about Netgear, they take forever to release stable firmware, i am with Netgear over 15 yrs or more............... 

Model: R7900|Nighthawk X6 AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi Router
Message 27 of 170
Neurotix82
Tutor

The latest firmware my device will find is v1.0.2.32

Is this update available for download somewhere aside from the router's GUI search? This could very well solve my current problem.
Message 28 of 170
DodgeDeBoulet
Apprentice

The beta version of the firmware under discussion here is older than the firmware version you're currently seeing as available. The wireless driver update that fixed the wifi dropping issue for most people is included in 1.0.2.32, so if you've installed it and are still experiencing a problem, it's probably not related to the fix that 1.0.2.30 (beta) or 1.0.2.32 (GA) provides.

Message 29 of 170
kmerenda1
Star

Netgear replaced my router before the current firmware was available. I did not have any problems with the old firmware on the new router, and I’m not having any problems now with the new firmware.
Message 30 of 170
focuspuller
Guide

Ever since I upgraded to V1.0.2.32 I have been having not only WiFi dropping but wired connections dropping internet.

I did the factory reset after the upgrade, but nothing changed from my settings.

Then yesterday the router dropped all WiFi and changed SSID to factory default.  All my settings were gone including the reserved IP addresses.

Reconfigured the router beck to my settings and all has been fine since.

Can't figure why it took three days from a factory reset for the unit to respond.

Message 31 of 170
JamesR1
Star

I currently rolled my Firmware back to V1.0.1.36.....It is nice to have some of the features working again.  So far, the network has been stable but we are only 24 hours in.  The current Firmware I had to reset 2 times a day, then I rolled back one and had to reset about one time a day.  I had QOS enabled on the current firmware and the router was nice enough to reset itself multiple time a day and sometime an hour.  I hope V1.0.1.36 goes well as I know I had less problems in the past with one of these.....I still think this router is junk...

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 32 of 170
Carlos70
Tutor

I have to agree with you. After resetting the router Im still loosing wifi connection. It is frustrating to invest in a high-end router and experience such a basic problem which should be solved with a quick (and urgent) firmware upgrade, I'm going back to my R8000 until this is fixed.

Message 33 of 170
focuspuller
Guide

As a side note....

I have my house wired for a MoCA network.

I'm using a Actiontec WCB6200 WiFi Extender.  Since it is wired by coax to the netowork and then goes WiFi, I haven't had dropping issues connecting to the extender.  Which means there is issues with the Netgear Firmware.

Message 34 of 170
Neurotix82
Tutor

I, too, am reverting back to the R8000. The speeds are faster, regardless of separate or merged 5g bands, and connectivity is seamless. The range with R9000 was greater right out of the box, but the R8000 is now superior in terms of range, as well.

I watched prices for the R9000 fall from 550 to 450, and just recently from 450 to a range varying between 330 and 400. This pattern normally takes place as a newer model hits the shelves, however, the R9000 remains latest model.

With that being said, prices don't plummet due to a small handful having issues. It is obviously a product with widespread flaws and I have yet to see any official statements released regarding them.

This will most likely be my last netgear product, as I've also witnessed my 30 dollar TP-Link 750ac extender outperform a 120 dollar netgear 1900ac.. significantly. A product I was actually able to return. Unfortunately, it doesn't help the $550 mistake sting any less.

Good luck with this. R9000 was my only reason for having to browse and post this forum. Hopefully I may still be able to snag 100 bucks off eBay for it. The poor performance seems to be fairly well contained from the marketing aspect.
Message 35 of 170
JamesR1
Star

7 days now with V1.0.1.36 and life is much better.  I have not had to reset this router one time and it is not reseting itself.  I have not tested speeds, I'm just glad it is allowing me time in my day again to do other things other than work on it.

Message 36 of 170
maxman1
Apprentice

I was having issues with my r9000 with Xbox online gaming lagging and dropping (connected via wireless). So I went back to my r8000 as the main router. I then changed my r9000 to bridge mode and have the Xbox One, PS3, QNAP, and Tivo connected via lan cables to the r9000. Now I have having problems with the Xbox One not connecting unless I restart the r9000 each time.

1) I am fairly pissed to move back to the r8000 because of the money I spent on the r9000. The r8000 works better than the r9000. The r9000 was supposed to be king. Now seeing these posts, it makes me think I am having the same wireless issues as others here.

2) I am even more pissed that the r9000 cannot function properly as a bridge. It is the most expensive brick I have ever purchased. One thing I notice, when the XBox One cannot connect, when I log into my r8000, the r9000 is not showing connected. AKA, if I try to log into the r9000, the page never come up. If I turn off the r9000 router and turn back on, the r9000 shows up as an attached device for the r8000, and the Xbox works. 

3) I also have my r6300 connected as a bridge in another room and has giving me NO problems whatsoever. Works great all the time.

I have the latest firmware on all devices. I have reset the r9000 multiple times and configured as a bridge. The r6300 is not causing any issues as I was having this issue with the 9000 as the 6300 sat idle in my closet. When both the r6300 and r9000 show up as connected to my r8000, one other thing I notice is the r6300 is identified as r6300 while the r9000 does not show identified as the r9000, just shows dashes.

Any help? 

$500 is a lot of money for a device that neither works well as a router nor a bridge!

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router,R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 37 of 170
JamesR1
Star

change the fireware to V1.0.1.36, I still have issue.....but life is better.....Netgear wrote some horrible firmware for this recently and any version newer than V1.0.1.36 has more issues

Message 38 of 170
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@maxman1 Kindly register your R9000 so that we may log a case for you. Once done, let me know so that I can ask our support team to reach out to you for further debugging.

@JamesR1 What's the exact issue you're having with the R9000?

Message 39 of 170
JamesR1
Star

it depends on the firmware version.

old R9000

would drop wired connections but not to my synology server on aggregation

new R9000

drops differnet wireless connections

drops wired connections but not to my synology server on aggregation

QOS does not work / router will reset multiple times per day on its own if on

drop some wire and wireless

PC not able to find printer, wireless cameras, or Stereo on network but all listed as being connected

poor preformance

new fireware will not list what is connected to router

many more........

Message 40 of 170
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@JamesR1 Will forward you to one of our support team for further debugging.

Message 41 of 170
Awsam
Tutor

Im so furious, with every firmware update 2.4 & 5ghz gets more and ore unstable. Half my clients are wired, 5-6 are wireless. They're being dropped multiple times a day randomly. QoS is off, currently on 1.0.2.40 and its worse than ever. Also, Media server (not plex) refuses to play first media file selected, demands to skip or stop. Then will play a file as normal. It will also do this randomly when playing multiple files.

My old Asus ac6800U performed better than this overpriced POS. Please link me to an old firmware that is functional. 

Message 42 of 170
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Awsam Did you try reinstalling the firmware and factory reset?

Some users have tried firmware 1.0.2.32 and 1.0.1.36.

Message 43 of 170
mharris134
Tutor

My Wifi is continously having issues across multiple devices on the 2.4ghz band. Randomly the device will lose connectivity and will be unable to see the SSID from the router. Once i reboot the router everything can connect again. Has Netgear done any more research on this problem and i assume that you all dont want to be continously replacing 500 dollar routers for free.

Message 44 of 170
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@mharris134 Have you submitted a case with support? Every case is different and there are things need to be considered in troubleshooting a particular issue.

Message 45 of 170
focuspuller
Guide

Over and over one user after another has reported this issue of WiFi and or Internet dropping on the R9000 $500.00 White Elephant.

And time after time on this forum we are told to try this or that and to give more details.

THIS UNIT IS A LEMON OUT OF THE BOX!!!  If it would be an automobile it would be recalled.

Netgear needs to set up to the plate and either fix or replace the router!

Message 46 of 170
DodgeDeBoulet
Apprentice

While I don't disagree that the X10 has had wi-fi connectivity issues, mine went away when i upgraded from 1.0.1.36 to 1.0.2.32. The "Connected Devices" list is now broken (and NetGear has been patiently working with me in an attempt to troubleshoot it but I've been very busy).

I rely on my X10 all day every day; it serves as my primary household wifi router in a fairly large home (roughly 3200 ft/sq), and functions as a switch to connect an in-law apartment in a separate outbuilding via a couple of MOCA 2 adapters. We frequently have 3 HD streams running concurrently, wired and wireless, and never drop a connection.

I'm not dismissing in any way that you're experiencing problems; I'm just pointing out that they're not universal issues.

Message 47 of 170
maxman1
Apprentice

Well lucky you. I have tried all versions, currently running v1.0.2.40 and I have to turn off and back on at LEAST once a day. It has gotten so bad I connected a smartplug to my smartthings hub, which is connected to Alexa, so I can tell Alexa to turn the router off and then back on again.

I also find it strange that you are posting here... how would someone whose device is working super duper fine even run accross this site about it NOT working? 

Message 48 of 170
DodgeDeBoulet
Apprentice

@maxman1 wrote:

Well lucky you. I have tried all versions, currently running v1.0.2.40 and I have to turn off and back on at LEAST once a day. It has gotten so bad I connected a smartplug to my smartthings hub, which is connected to Alexa, so I can tell Alexa to turn the router off and then back on again.

I also find it strange that you are posting here... how would someone whose device is working super duper fine even run accross this site about it NOT working? 

Sorry you're having problems. As I said, I'm not dismissing anyone's issues; just reporting that they're not as all-pervasive as some appear to believe.

As to why I'm posting here ... I've been involved with this thread for some time and receive updates when new posts are made. I was experiencing wifi connectivity issues with earlier firmware. And the router has shown other problems; for me, DDNS was funky until I acquired a paid No-IP account, and the "connected devices" list is broken unless I enable QoS.

Apologies if I mellowed your harsh.

Message 49 of 170
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@maxman1 Support has reached out to you. Feel free to contact them to make a follow-up on your case.

Message 50 of 170
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7