Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: NightHawk x10 r9000 wifi dropping issue

dabears
Star

Hello,

I am the orignial poster here for this wifi dropping.  After returining my defective router and getting replacement router my connection has been stable.  My current version of the firmware is 1.0.2.32 and now 1.0.2.40 is available now.  I would like to know how stable is the new firmware?  I don't have any disconnect issues but i do see time to time my cell phone gets disconnected at night and when i wake up in the morning the  phone is not connected to wifi. My phone is Samsung Galaxy S8. 

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 51 of 170
mharris134
Tutor

Elaine,

There has been a support case opened for me that i got an email about. I also just noticed the router is emitting weird burst of static noises from the front left side of the router. Maybe the Unit is defective.

Message 52 of 170
maxman1
Apprentice

How do I get a ticket open to replace my router? This blows!

Message 53 of 170
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@maxman1 You should have it in your email. If not, contact support and they should be able to pull up your case.

Message 54 of 170
maxman1
Apprentice

Yeah, so I have a case 28915646. They told me yesterday they were going to send me a replacement. Now I have to show them my receipt. I don't have it. Then they say 'can't I go to Fry's to request one'.

You know what? FU Netgear! I am never buying your crap again. I hope everyone gets the message this is a $500 brick, and if you even want to think about dealing with support, they make you jump through hoops for a DEFECTIVE product!

I have a history of buying your products, and you can see them registered! No more, you are like Seagate and hard drives that fail! I stopped buying them for Western Digital about 5 years ago. I've never had a WD hard drive crash, but 2 Seagates have crashed. You are the new Seagate for routers!

Message 55 of 170
Spunner
Aspirant

Elaine,

I wanted to update you on my progress with the v.106 beta firmware, as I was suffering from daily drops on my Nest cameras.  It was never one or two of the cameras, but all 4 would drop routinely throughout the day.  I updated to the v106 firmware about a week ago and I've yet to see an email from Nest saying a camera was offline.

I've had no issues with the FW thus far and my 'drops' are gone.  Thank you very much!

Message 56 of 170
maxman1
Apprentice

Lucky you, some of us continue to have problems. One would expect with a $500 device you wouldn't need to go through this!

Message 57 of 170
focuspuller
Guide

I still had dropping issues with v.106 beta firmware.

Went back to version without QOS....still have dropping issues but not as often.

Netgear has tried and failed to fix this issue with serveral firmware updates. 

Netgear needs to be proactive and keeps customers happy by replacing these units. 

Message 58 of 170
maxman1
Apprentice

Another day, same problems. You still have not shipped my replacement r9000. 

I'm going to keep posting here. If it takes getting an attorney, I will do so. Selling junk to the public and not making it right!

Message 59 of 170
maxman1
Apprentice

So I had to restart my r9000 3 times yesterday, already one time today. At least I can yell to Alexa to restart it instead of needing to get to the cord or power button.

If you are thinking about buying the r9000, stay away! It is a $500 brick, and Netgear will not make it right!

Message 60 of 170
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@maxman1 One of our customer care team had sent you an email regarding your concern.

Message 61 of 170
Carlos70
Tutor

You're lucky you live in the US. I live in Colombia and i cant replace mine. I'm using my old R8000.

Message 62 of 170
lkelly
Tutor

I have the same issue, went through three different "support" persons, got case numbers. The second person told me to call back after my last attempt to flash the firmware. If it failed, they would replace the unit. It failed, I called back. Got a very rude punk who refused to send a replacement. Asked for his supervisor. They would not get on the phone, but refused, as well. I paid $700.00 for the thing and I swear I will NEVER buy another Netgear product. I have 2 extenders ($150 each). SO mad at them. Do NOT buy their product! Dropping wifi is a known problem to them and the guy I got was an az!

Message 63 of 170
maxman1
Apprentice

Yeah, they still have not addressed my issue! They want me to send the router back to them, and once they get it they would replace mine, and it will takes WEEKS! I think they have a screw loose.

I bet you dimes to donuts everyone with this router has this issue, but most just don't know it. When people find out Ntegear's top-of-the-line product does not work properly, and then how they treat their customers with the issue = bye-bye Netgear! I've already written it, they are the new Seagate , but for routers. Their name is synonymous with POOR quality and POOR customer service. 

Message 64 of 170
DodgeDeBoulet
Apprentice

You'd lose that bet.

I work from home, and am often connected to multiple VPNs through multiple virtual machines via the 5GHz radio on my R9000. ALL DAY LONG, AT LEAST 5 DAYS A WEEK. In the evening, I watch Netflix for hours in glorious 4K HDR without a hiccup. The router serves both the main house and an in-law apartment via wired ethernet bridged via MOCA 2, and a TiVo Bolt+ serves a couple of TiVO minis in both the main house and in-law apartment. Everything hums along nicely.

Trust me, if there was a problem endemic to this router that everyone is having, I'd certainly have noticed it.

Seriously, I'm sorry your having problems and hope NetGear can solve them. But some of your assumptions have little basis in fact.

Message 65 of 170
maxman1
Apprentice

For someone's who router is working great, glad to see you searching for posts about problem's with this router. Or maybe you just work for Netgear.

We'll see what pans out if this becomes a class action. 

Message 66 of 170
DodgeDeBoulet
Apprentice

You appear to have either a very short memory or a reading comprehension problem. 

To refresh your memory: I've had problems with earlier versions of the firmware. I participated in this thread well before you did, and am subscribed to it because of my earlier participation. I don't go "searching" for anything. I get emailed your uninformed and argumentative posts automatically when you make them. I'm not denying that you're having problems, but I am pointing out that NOT EVERYONE IS.

And I'm self-employed, thank you very much. I've paid my money to NetGear. They've given me great support, although they haven't solved every problem I've had. On the balance, though, I'm happy with my R9000.

Message 67 of 170
maxman1
Apprentice

I've set up automatic logging awhile ago, and the logs shows this happens mutiple times everyday from a few seconds up to a half a minute. So depending on what you are doing and when you may or may not notice it.

AKA, many users may not notice it. My bet is this is common to everyone, and I also bet Netgear is well aware of the problem.

Message 68 of 170
DodgeDeBoulet
Apprentice

I'd notice it.

Message 69 of 170
DodgeDeBoulet
Apprentice

So, just to make sure that I wasn't actually missing anything, I set up a spare Raspberry Pi 3 to montor the 2.4GHz network. It's been running for 27 hours now, checking signal strength every 2 seconds.

Here's the extract, showing the distribution of the signal strength over that time period:

1 Link Quality=44/70 Signal level=-66 dBm
     79 Link Quality=45/70 Signal level=-65 dBm
    441 Link Quality=46/70 Signal level=-64 dBm
   3802 Link Quality=47/70 Signal level=-63 dBm
   8414 Link Quality=48/70 Signal level=-62 dBm
   3210 Link Quality=49/70 Signal level=-61 dBm
   7031 Link Quality=50/70 Signal level=-60 dBm
  20856 Link Quality=51/70 Signal level=-59 dBm
   4758 Link Quality=52/70 Signal level=-58 dBm
      6 Link Quality=53/70 Signal level=-57 dBm

No errors, nothing over that time period that would indicate the signal dropped.

Unfortunately, the RasPi only supports 2.4GHz but it's the only Linux host I  have available where I can easily script this sort of thing. It's theoretically possible that something is happening on the 5GHz wlan that isn't happening on the 2.4GHz wlan, but I'm not seeing it. The work I do is very interactive and demands constant, stable connectivity between my home office and the entities I work with. My 4K TV is also connected to the 5GHz network, and I would expect any instability to be obvious when watching 4K/HDR content ... and I do spend 2-3 hours most evenings doing just that.

Is it possible that local RF congestion is causing your grief? I live out in the country and can't see any BSSIDs that I didn't set up myself. I no longer have any 2.4GHz non-wifi devices (other than Bluetooth), don't live on the flight path near an airport, can't see any high tension wires, microwave or cell towers within a mile or so of the house, etc.

Message 70 of 170
maxman1
Apprentice

It was very clear Congestion isn't causing it. My logs show this is happening whether anyone is at home or not. Granted, we have a lot connected overall, but this hasn't been a problem. Here is what has transpired.

Prior to the r9000, I had the r8000 as our main router. The r8000 has always worked like a charm. I bought the r9000 because I liked the new benefits this was to bring, and I am a nerd when it comes to tech... love having the latest and greatest. Plus, this having built in Plex server was a plus.

So I disconnected my r8000 and put in my new r9000. Same location, same everything in the settings. I did not set up Plex at this point. It seemed to be working well. I've worked from home for the past 4 years, so I am on the internet constantly. We soon began noticing drop outs, but I didn't think too much of it at first. However, my son was complaining he kept lagging while playing online games, and I also found my self either lagging, or at worst, getting disconnected from online games. 

At this point, there was only one finger to point to, and it was the new r9000 router. I moved its location, but still had the same issues. I tried resetting on multiple occassions. I always made sure the firmware was up to date.

A couple weeks of this, I decided to put the r8000 back in as the main router. And again, works like a charm. All the lagging and disconnets went away. The r8000 works great.

So, I then decided to set up the r9000 as a bridge to my LR site. My LR site has a QNAP server, XBox One, Tivo Bolt, and a PS3 connected. As I put in a previous post, I found I had to turn the r9000 off and back on mutiple times a day, to the tune of adding a Wemo swtich so I can yell at Alexa to turn off and then back on.

The r9000 wasn't working properly as a router, and now isn't working properly as a bridge. That is when I searched for issues for the r9000 and found this site.

A couple of weeks ago, I replaced the r8000 with the r9000 as our main router again. And surprise, it still drops connection! So now I have a script logging the disconnects. Like I just posted a few days ago, it happens multiple times during the day from a brief few seconds up to a half a minute.(and side note, it SUCKS that the r8000 does not have the ability to be used as a bridge!)

So here I am, with an expensive brick.

And Netgear can careless. Apparently they got my money, and they are ok I have a crappy product.  

Message 71 of 170
ehscsp
Aspirant

Same issues...even called Netgear - Support Case #28878279 and they sent a replacement unit...it is doing same thing.  Multiple phone calls to support to fix, not helpful...spent a long time on phone for them to tell me to try changing channels...again

Message 72 of 170
maxman1
Apprentice

You know.. Just thinking out loud at this point, but this seems reminiscent of memory dump issues from a decade ago on old Windows.. And it would explain much.

But if this is the issue, firmware may be able to fix, but more likely is a hw problem.. Again just speculation...

Netgear has detective r9000s in its possession. Test for it.
Message 73 of 170
maxman1
Apprentice

'Netgear has detective r9000s in its possession'.. Just to be clear my bet is they are all defective.. Most haven't noticed it..
Message 74 of 170
mkbrog
Tutor

Am having constant and noticeable drop outs since updating to 1.0.2.40 firmware.  Tried factory reset adn downgrading .  Problem is baked in - it actually makes it impossible to use for any streaming service as the wi-fi drops out.

$700 brick at moment.  Any alternative suggestions /?

Message 75 of 170
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7