Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk 7000P extensions not working

Zaradi
Aspirant

Nighthawk 7000P extensions not working

Just within the past few days my devices can no longer connect with the Netgear extensions 2ext or 5ext.  I don't have a clue what to do.  Is it the router?  I keep resetting my modem and that doesn't make any difference.  I have to go back and choose the version without any extensions.   I would like to fix this problem..... thanks

MacMini...running Big Sur.  Nighthawk is 7000P.  

Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
Zaradi
Aspirant

I spent the entire morning, after factory resetting, getting the darn thing back up and running.  Finally after much effort it seems to be working.  I suspect updating the router is what caused the problem to begin with.  Just like Apple IOS, updates aren't necessarilty a good thing.  I never did get to the .net or .local pages as suggested....never could connect with them.  Next router is going to have to be MUCH easier to set up and deal with.

Thank you for all your help.

View solution in original post

Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 9 of 10

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Do wired devices work? 

Is the wireless broadcasting?

What firmware is on the router? 

Did you factory reset the router and try? Push and hold reset for 7-15 seconds while its powered on. 

Message 2 of 10
Zaradi
Aspirant

Do wired devices work?  No.  My wired computer cannot connect to the ext addresses.

Is the wireless broadcasting?  What?  My Netgear 2.4 and 5 GHz lights are flashing but then so is the one that looks like a circle with a satellite.  Lights 2-4 after the power light.  

Firmware is V1.3.1.64, apparently I'm running V2.4.42.

I have not done a factory reset yet.  I had enough trouble setting this up the first time so I'm a bit leery of doing that unless absolutely necessary.  Once I reset it I want it set up with my mac mini not a mobile device.  I need to find instructions on that first.  

Thank you for the response!

Message 3 of 10
plemans
Guru

You're using an extender? 

What one? 

You didn't put an extender model in there anywhere.

If the R7000P is working fine, lets look at the extender

Message 4 of 10
Zaradi
Aspirant

Well I have my usual network address, say Hawk15, then it shows Hawk15_2GEXT and Hawk5_GEXT.  Those are extensions aren't they?  I'm not a huge techie so this is very confusing to me.  I know that any device that used to use 2GEXT can no longer connect and I have to go back to Hawk15 alone.  Perhaps I need to figure out how to disable or delete these two EXT parts.  

@plemans wrote:

You're using an extender? 

What one? 

You didn't put an extender model in there anywhere.

If the R7000P is working fine, lets look at the extender

Message 5 of 10
plemans
Guru

Usually the Hawk15_2GEXT and Hawk5_GEXT part is from a network extender. 

Do you have any extenders on your network? 

Message 6 of 10
Zaradi
Aspirant

I have no extenders on my network.  The manual says it installs the 2ext and 5 ext and then when I activate a device it chooses the one with the highest level of connectivity.  If I understand it correctly.  This just showed up a week ago now and it may have been after an update as it says everything is up to date.  The only way I got onto this site was to bypass the router entirely and hook directly from my modem to my computer.  That and that my stupid iPhone immediately deletes email from netgear now.  Another apple issue.  

So I really don't know what to do.  My modem is operating fine so it has to be the router.  While I've had the router only a couple of years I notice that it was made in 2015.  Out of date?  I know I should try a reset but in doing that it won't let me access the router.net site to complete the setup.  Dont recall how I got around that before.    

Thank you for the help.

Message 7 of 10
Zaradi
Aspirant

Ok, I've done a lot of Youtube videos and it would seem it's definitely a router issue.  Again, to get here I had to hook directly in to my modem and bypass the Nighthawk.  Hooked up to the Nighthawk just made no connection possible or extremely slow to load.  One I bypass it everything happens very fast.   The 2.4 and 5 I've been referring to are the bands even though they have "ext" after them.  I now have to assume the next thing to try is a factory reset.  Can't afford to replace this router since I've only had it 2 years.  

Message 8 of 10
Zaradi
Aspirant

I spent the entire morning, after factory resetting, getting the darn thing back up and running.  Finally after much effort it seems to be working.  I suspect updating the router is what caused the problem to begin with.  Just like Apple IOS, updates aren't necessarilty a good thing.  I never did get to the .net or .local pages as suggested....never could connect with them.  Next router is going to have to be MUCH easier to set up and deal with.

Thank you for all your help.

Message 9 of 10
Zaradi
Aspirant

Dang!  My issue is not solved.  With the modem and router connected my signal and ability to load pages is slow or not at all.  To get here I had to bypass the router and hook directly into my computer as I can't even bring up the Netgear website.  I did a full reset of the modem, router etc.  I spoke at length with a Spectrum tech and the modem is apparently not the issue.  All tests on that passed.  Router and modem are up to date.  

So I'm back to not knowing what to do.  Everything through the Netgear Genie looks good but obviously something is not right.  I am out of warranty and cannot afford to buy a service plan.  It would be cheaper just to throw the router out and start fresh.  Genie says I have great connectivity on all the devices it monitors.  As soon as I hook back into the router from the modem I'm back to having these connectivity issues.  

Any ideas.  Wish I could talk to a Netgear tech.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7