Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk 7800 wifi access using hotspot

Mahsyw
Aspirant

Nighthawk 7800 wifi access using hotspot

Is it possible to use a mobile hotspot wifi signal as the input for the 7800 Router? I have a very slow dish network as my usual internet provider. The Nighthawk router provides excellent wi-fi coverage in my house and surrounding property. My smartphone hotspot has very fast download speed with an unlimited data plan. Can I this hotspot or a dedicated hotspot modem to link via wi-fi to the router?

Message 1 of 6

Re: Nighthawk 7800 wifi access using hotspot

R7800?

I see no indication in the manual that the R7800 will work as a wifi repeater or bridge.

You might be able to use it as an AP wired into a hotspot modem. (There's a separate section for talking about those.)

Visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

and feed in your model number and check the documentation for your hardware.

See the section Use the Router as a WiFi Access Point.

Message 2 of 6
Kitsap
Master

I use the R7800 as a router.  In the Advanced - Advanced Setup section there is an option to configure the device mode for use as a router, access point, or bridge.

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 Wifi Router
Message 3 of 6

@Kitsap wrote:

I use the R7800 as a router.  In the Advanced - Advanced Setup section there is an option to configure the device mode for use as a router, access point, or bridge.

Sadly, the "bridge" word has several different meanings. But you are right, there is a "wifi/repeater bridge" option in there. However, to use that you have to be able to set up the source of the wifi signal. Not all routers can act as the source for a bridge.

As the manual says, the first step is "Make a note of the WiFi settings of the other router to which this router will connect."

Is that even possible with a "mobile hotspot wifi signal"? That would be an interesting experiment.

I mentioned using a mobile hotspot modem because you might be able to use one of those as the source for a router, even if you have to use it in AP mode. To see if that is an option, you'd have to pick a mobile hotspot and check its manual.

Message 4 of 6
Mahsyw
Aspirant

Thank you. I looked at that. I think this process requires connection with an ethernet cable from the hot spot to the R7800. Am I wrong? I am hoping it can connect wirelessly to a Verizon Jetpack?

Message 5 of 6

@Mahsyw wrote:

Thank you. I looked at that. I think this process requires connection with an ethernet cable from the hot spot to the R7800. Am I wrong? I am hoping it can connect wirelessly to a Verizon Jetpack?

That's the first time you have mentioned the Verizon Jetpack. It always helps to have full details.

You have been told that there are two ways to use an R7800. As a wifi access point wired in, or as a wireless repeater (bridge). The manual you were directed to explains how to set up either of these.

The people behind the Verizon Jetpack are the only ones who can tell you if their kit can work as the front end of a wireless bridge (repeater).

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7