Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk 7900 Drops Internet Every 48 Hours

Huminie
Tutor

Nighthawk 7900 Drops Internet Every 48 Hours

Having what I think is a weird issue.  Every 48 hours (I could almost set my watch to it) my Nighthawk 7900 router loses it's interent connection.  If I log into the web interface it says everything is up and running, but all connected devices can no longer connect to the internet.

When I first noticed it happening I assumed I had a bad unit so I returned it (Costco) and got another unit.  But the new unit still does the same thing.

Firmware = V1.3.0.10_1.2.2

If I preemptively reboot before it goes down, it will extend the time another 48 hours from that point.

Connected devices include Rokus (one wired, one wifi), Amazon Alexa Echo and 4 dots, Yamaha receiver, Acurite Access weather hub, Windows laptop computer, Windows desktop computer, 2 iPhones, 2 Android phones, 1 iPad, 1 MacBook, 1 Xbox and a couple Kindles.

Not sure if it is some sort of IP collision happening, but it is weird the way it happens on a regular/routine basis.

TIA for any advice or guidance.  I work from home and need a stable connection.  Having the internet drop during web calls is not ok for me.  But otherwise, the router works great.

Model: R7900|Nighthawk X6 AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
Huminie
Tutor

Re: Nighthawk 7900 Drops Internet Every 48 Hours

Just to close this out.  I switched to the R7800 nearly 2 weeks ago, and it has been rock solid.  The issue of the internet connection dropping every 48 hours has stopped.

It would appear that there is some sort of issue with the Costco R7900 firmware.  It doesn't seem to affect everyone, but there are others out there with the same issue.  Hopefully they will get it fixed, but for now, the 7800 seems very capable an no noticible difference other than not having the network go down every two days like clockwork.

Thanks for those who offered advice and suggestions!

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 7

All Replies
IrvSp
Master

This could be the MODEM dropping it on a lease expiration for the WAN IP Address.

On Genie from a Browser, on the Advanced tab, Internet Port, Connection Status you should see the LEASE info... do they add to 48 hours?

What modem do you have?  Most will have you able to access it for looking at logs and power levels using 192.168.100.1 as the URL... look for errors there... and if you find you have a 48 hour lease or many modem errors, call your ISP...

Since the problem happened on 2 routers, I'd suspect an ISP problem with the lease and once it drops the time to get it back might be longer than the router tries to get the WAN IP Address.

Message 2 of 7
Huminie
Tutor

Thank you...very good information.

The lease shows 14 days, and it renewed on my reboot of the router, but you might be on to something there.

My modem is built into my DVR from my cable company.  Here are the details:

ARRIS DOCSIS 3.0 / SIP 2.0 Touchstone Media Gateway
HW_REV: 9
VENDOR: Arris Interactive, L.L.C.
BOOTR: 2.3.1.1
SW_REV: 7.14.75.SIP
MODEL: MG5225G

The event log does show one entry for today:

DHCP RENEW WARNING - Field invalid in response v4 option;CM-MAC=ac:b3:13:ce:87:c1;CMTS-MAC=00:01:5c:a2:b2:59;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3

I will need to research what those MAC addresses belong to.  I don't think they are my router though.

But thanks for the help.  I will do some more observing based on this and see if I can figure it out.

But still open to other suggestions if someone has another idea.

Thanks!

Message 3 of 7
IrvSp
Master

ac:b3:13:ce:87:c1 is owned by Arris... The other is Cadant, probably on the cable modem termination system of your ISP.

It is 'possible' the modem went to RENEW the WAN IP Address and it never get a response back so it dropped the connection.

14 days is quite long... many are either 24 or 36 hours. My ISP, Charter uses 36 hours. It is quite normal at the 1/2 time point for the device to ask for a IP RENEW. If it can't get one it will try again at some pre-determined point.

I really think, and expecially since this is the 2nd router with the problem, the problem resides with your ISP, either the backend of the ISP or something with your lines.

Message 4 of 7
Huminie
Tutor

Ya, so it happened again today.  The lease did not expire, so I am not sure I want to go down the path of working with my ISP.

I am also not fond of using an older version of firmware.

I pulled my box from the attic and found my Costco receipt.  I am pretty sure I will buy the R7800 from Amazon for $185 and return the R7900 and get my $200 back.  It sounds like the R7800 is equally capable and won't have this issue.

Thanks for all the help!

Message 5 of 7
Huminie
Tutor

Just to close this out.  I switched to the R7800 nearly 2 weeks ago, and it has been rock solid.  The issue of the internet connection dropping every 48 hours has stopped.

It would appear that there is some sort of issue with the Costco R7900 firmware.  It doesn't seem to affect everyone, but there are others out there with the same issue.  Hopefully they will get it fixed, but for now, the 7800 seems very capable an no noticible difference other than not having the network go down every two days like clockwork.

Thanks for those who offered advice and suggestions!

Message 6 of 7
natrlhy
Tutor

I also had this strange 48 hour issue. I obtained the test firmware and it seemed to fix things.

There is also this official beta avialable that should fix it:

http://kb.netgear.com/en_US/000058266/

Model: R7900P|Nighthawk X6S Smart WiFi Router with MU-MIMO
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7