Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk AC1750 R6400

Murby
Aspirant

Nighthawk AC1750 R6400

My Nighthawk Router is plugged into my ISP's modem/firewall/router.   

When the Netgear Nighthawk loses power or has to be rebooted, the time setting gets screwed up and it can't get the new time because the ISP's router is blocking it.

Which ports do I need to forward or trigger to allow the time server to get through my ISP's router?    I don't even know what time server my Netgear device uses or what ports because there's no documentation for it. 

Here's the screwy part..  It would seem that when the Netgear Nighthawk's time is wrong, it no longer BLOCKS SERVICES to the devices I have set to block.    THAT IS DANGEROUS AND VERY DISTURBING that such a simple setting glitch would completely inactivate this devices security when it comes to blocking services to specific IP addresses.

Also, why doesn't it remember the time?  Is there a battery that needs to be replaced inside the router or something?  One of those button cells like a PC Computer has?

Model: R6400|AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
booboo59
Apprentice

RFC 5905 governs NTP (time server), which means you must always use UDP port 123. Try that...  I don't see why Netgear would use a non-standard port.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 6

All Replies
Murby
Aspirant

In simpler terms, to be more clear:

My ISP's firewall/modem is blocking whatever time server the Netgear router uses.    If I drop the ISP's firewall, the time on the netgear router works fine. 

What ports do I forward/trigger on my ISP's firewall,  or what do I need to do in order to allow the Netgear router to update its time automatically? 

Thank you

Message 2 of 6
plemans
Guru

Are you running both your ISP modem/router AND the R6400 in router mode? that can cause many issues. 

https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT

In terms of settings not getting remembered, I'd just snag a cheap backup power supply (UPS). If you're power is surging/going out that much, I'd highly recommend a UPS. I've burned out a high end router once due to power fluctuating in my area from construction. You can bet I ordered a UPS when I ordered the new router. 

Message 3 of 6
booboo59
Apprentice

RFC 5905 governs NTP (time server), which means you must always use UDP port 123. Try that...  I don't see why Netgear would use a non-standard port.

Message 4 of 6
Murby
Aspirant

I am running both in double NAT.     I can turn off the router and allow almost everything to pass but that also makes my IP address visible on the internet and I don't want to do that.

I've become quite adapt at forwarding and trigger ports, just need to know which it is.    As the other poster said, its UDP 123..  I had it configured for TCP 123 so that's probably the problem.  

If it goes out TCP and comes back UDP (can it even do that?), then I'll have to reconfigure again. 

My computer won't update its time either unless I drop the firewall for a few seconds and push the manual "Internet Time" button while its down..   Oh wait.....

EUREKA!    My computer updates without having to drop the firewall..   LOL.     

Thanks to you, and thanks to the other poster who said the time server was UDP 123

Message 5 of 6
Murby
Aspirant

I went into the ISP's modem/router, set it to trigger on UDP port 123 and it works..  well... at least it works on my computer now.   My PC wouldn't update its time unless I dropped the firewall, now it updates with the firewall up..    Going to assume the Netgear router will do the same.
Thank you,

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7