Nighthawk AC1750 R6700v3 is not registering same sped as modem.

Zimm226
Tutor

Nighthawk AC1750 R6700v3 is not registering same sped as modem.

Comcast just upgraded me from 200mbps to 300mbps package. I have separate Netgear Modem and Router. When I plug my laptop directly into the modem using Ethernet cable, my laptop registers 360mbps. When I plug that same cable into the router and use the nighthawk app to test the router speed, I only get 200mbps. And then if I plug my laptop directly into the router using Ethernet I still only get 200mbps. Why is my router no registering or producing the same 360mbps I get when plugged directly into the modem?
Message 1 of 6
Zimm226
Tutor

Re: Nighthawk AC1750 R6700v3 is not registering same sped as modem.

No one? No one ever had this problem before?
Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 2 of 6
Ryan1973
Aspirant

I just bought the same router and I'm having the same issue.  I get 450mb down through Spectrum and 450/250 through the Spectrum provided POS router but only 180MB down through the Netgear Nighthawk router whether I'm on either of the wireless networks or plugged in.  Spent two hours on the phone with customer service and they told me either the router isn't compatible with my ISP or it is defective and to replace it with another one.  Yeah right...

Message 3 of 6
duckware
Prodigy

Well, if you are about to give up, try this (there is a small risk of bricking the router)...

Install the latest firmware (use router web interface / ethernet; not app; not wireless), wait for everything to come back up, then wait 5 more minutes, and then factory reset the router (small recessed button).  You will need to set up router again (like you just got it from the store), but only change wireless SSID / password and nothing else (or as little as possible).  Is speed test any better?

If you want to test the R6700v3 LAN to WAN speed in your own LAN (eliminates Internet), duckware.com/testwan2lan describes how.

Message 4 of 6
Zimm226
Tutor

Thank you both for the reply. So here is what I tried and also found out.

I made sure I had the router firmware updated last night.... this is before I saw these reply’s this morning, but last night I did a hard reset on the router with the little reset button on the back, then once the router was up and running, before changing any setting besides updating my password, I tried a speed test on my laptop again wired directly into Ethernet of router and no change. Still getting just under 100mb speed from the router while plugged into laptop with Ethernet cable. I also tried running the netgear speed test to test the actual router speed and still maxing out just below 200mbps which it was also doing before So that didn’t work.

What I did find out, when I run a speed test on my iPhone, when connected to the 2.4 band, I’m still getting below 100mbps, however I figured I would try switching to my 5.0 band and ran the speed test on my phone again and boom, I’m showing over 200mbps and one or twice it actually did get up to 300+, but again when I re-ran the netgear app Speedtest for the router it’s still maxing out around 200mbps or less so I don’t know what to think.

On wireless 5gig band I get the speed, on 2.4 wireless I don’t..... when I text speed through the netgear nighthawk app for the actual router it’s 200mbps or less still, when I Ethernet me laptop directly to the modem it’s 300-360mbps. Then when I plus that same Ethernet I got the 300-360mbps into my netgear r6700 router and then Ethernet my laptop to it, back down to under 100mbps.

I don’t get it.

Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 5 of 6
duckware
Prodigy

On the router web interface: advanced home page, click on "Show Statistics" button (Internet section).  Are all connected Ethernet ports "1000M/Full"?

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E