Nighthawk AC1900 Attached Devices

bartosz-l
Aspirant

Nighthawk AC1900 Attached Devices

(firmware V1.0.6.28_1.1.83, from what I experienced it's even worse after firmware upgrade.)

When network approaches 64 connected devices, sometimes wifi drops, resets or prevents users from connecting to wifi. 50 out of 60 devices connect via ethernet. Few times all wifi, lan and wan interfaces went down for a minute and restarted, reseting uptime back to 0. Logs does not explain what happens.

then Is there are limit of how many devices can connect?

kind regards

Bartosz

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 7
labatt
Mentor

Re: Nighthawk AC1900 Attached Devices

In the case of Netgear firmware, newer is not better. Time for Netgear to drain the swamp. 

Most folks have best results with the .42 version. Suggest you downgrade to that.

Modem CM2050V
Message 2 of 7
bartosz-l
Aspirant

thanks, I will try to downgrade later this week to test it.

regards

Model: A7000|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi USB Adapter - USB 3.0
Message 3 of 7
IrvSp
Master

@bartosz-l wrote:

(firmware V1.0.6.28_1.1.83, from what I experienced it's even worse after firmware upgrade.)

What f/w are you running? That is 'ancient'! V1.0.9.42 is the most stable for users it seems.

@bartosz-l wrote:

When network approaches 64 connected devices, sometimes wifi drops, resets or prevents users from connecting to wifi. 50 out of 60 devices connect via ethernet. 

Quite normal.

@bartosz-l wrote:

Few times all wifi, lan and wan interfaces went down for a minute and restarted, reseting uptime back to 0. Logs does not explain what happens.

Logs will not on a reboot, it starts fresh over again.

@bartosz-l wrote:

Is there are limit of how many devices can connect?

Yes, LIMIT is 32 devices per SSID. When that happens usually someone gets kicked off... Should not cause a reboot though.

Message 4 of 7
bartosz-l
Aspirant

thanks for reply:

we have maybe 10 wifi clients and 50 ethernet. so we're not even close to 32 limit.

try to downgrade on friday

maybe 64 is maximum router can handle.

regards

Message 5 of 7
labatt
Mentor

Don't know if 64 is max for router or just wireless. In any case 50 Ethernet attached is going to do some stressing I would think. 

You may be approaching needing to look at the more commercial side either Netgear, yes Netgear has commercial grade, or someone else as I am guessing your network is going to keep adding clients. As example if you take the leap, each AP I have is rated at 200 clients and since I have 2 that is 400 clients. With good router and gig Internet I would be in good shape. However, this is in my home and not even 50 clients. 

Modem CM2050V
Message 6 of 7
bartosz-l
Aspirant

Maybe its time to get a proper soho/enterprise router + APs.

With so many brands it's not easy to pick right one.

regards

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E