Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk AC1900 R7000 2.4ghz wifi not working

Steve_tanner
Aspirant

Nighthawk AC1900 R7000 2.4ghz wifi not working

I'm running the most recent firmware V1.0.7.6_1.1.99. So my R7000 will broadcast 2.4ghz inconsistently, until none of my devices are able to connect to it. The devices will be "No internet, secured". I've run troubleshooting on two different laptops on that network, and both devices give me different reasons as to why they cannot connect.

I've done a number of factory resets, changing the SSID's each time. I've maybe been using this router for 24 hours. It's worth noting that my 5G network works well enough.

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 20

Accepted Solutions
JamesGL
Master

Hi kman68,

Reset the router to factory default and try to reconfigure it manually.

View solution in original post

Message 19 of 20

All Replies
TheEther
Guru

Have you tried changing the Wi-Fi channel?  Perhaps the one in use is unusable due to too many neighboring networks or interference.

Message 2 of 20
Steve_tanner
Aspirant

I have tried that, actually. No change. Very few wifi connections around me anyways. Definitely not enough to interrupt my signal.

Message 3 of 20
TheEther
Guru

Try performing a factory reset.

Message 4 of 20
Steve_tanner
Aspirant

If you refer to my original post, you'll see that I've already tried a number of factory resets. I feel quite confident another won't give me different results. I appreciate your input, though!

Message 5 of 20
IrvSp
Master

@Steve_tanner wrote:

The devices will be "No internet, secured". I've run troubleshooting on two different laptops on that network, and both devices give me different reasons as to why they cannot connect.

I think that means something different. That means I believe that they devices ARE connected to the router but there is NO Internet connection? That is they ARE connected to the LAN but not the WAN.

What were the various reason you did get?

On the failing PC's/Laptops please open a CMD prompt and run IPCONFIG /ALL on them and paste the results here, especially if one is connected and one isn't.

Important items would be the IPv4 Address, Default Gateway, DHCP Server, and DNS Server if you only want to post those without all the other

info.

On the failing wireless devices can you connect a cable to rule out something on the LAPTOP causing a problem?

Also, enable logging if you had not and see if anything appears there?

Did it work with older F/W versions? Have you tried going back to the last one you had?

Did you re-enter all your settings after flashing the new version?

Message 6 of 20
Steve_tanner
Aspirant

OK! A lot of info to pack into this, so I'll piece by piece here:

The most common problem Windows troubleshooting finds is "The DNS server isn't responding" I also occasioanlly get "Your computer appeats to be correctly configured, but the device or resource (www.microsoft.com) is not responding.

The info from my IPCONFIG /ALL is as follows:

IPv4 Address: 192.168.1.5

Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1

DHCP Server: 192.168.1.1

DNS Server:: 192.168.1.1

I can confirm that a wired connection works with both laptops unable to connect to the 2.4ghz network.

and I have to admit I'm not suuuuper savy when it comes to networking issues so I'm not sure what these last two lines mean:

"Did it work with older F/W versions? Have you tried going back to the last one you had?

Did you re-enter all your settings after flashing the new version?"

Message 7 of 20
disgusted_
Aspirant

Steve,is right, my 2.4ghz never woks.  Past time to return.

i have discovered that the model R7000 has the same problems. These were rated very high and many many users have the same problem. Netgear refuses to upgrade their FW.  Class action suit is clearly in order, or if anyone wants to buy this worthless device let me know.

has anyone found a solution to this?

i have put in countless hours and may need to find another modem/wifi device

i

Message 8 of 20
IrvSp
Master

@Steve_tanner wrote:
I have to admit I'm not suuuuper savy when it comes to networking issues so I'm not sure what these last two lines mean:

"Did it work with older F/W versions? Have you tried going back to the last one you had?

Did you re-enter all your settings after flashing the new version?"

Those are questions about what you had before and did after if you updated the firmware.

I assume you updated the firmware to get to the latest release, the router was NOT shipped with that version.

If so, what version were you using before you updated? Don't know, that is OK too.

Last question is vital. If you DID update to the latest firmware, you should (must according to NG) re-enter all your settings. Manually, not re-loading saved settings.

I noticed in your initial post that you've tried 'Factory resets'. That means you did the pressing and holding of the recessed button in the back, right? Not powering off and on the router right?

Also you said " I've maybe been using this router for 24 hours." but does that mean with the latest firmware or that the router was brand new with that level of flash and you've only had it a day? If it is new, CALL NG support as you might have a bad router (or return it to the place of purchase and get another).

Message 9 of 20
wgblondel
Aspirant

Re : Nighthawk AC1900 R7000 2.4ghz wifi not working

I almost have the same problem. Since I upgraded to the latest version, the signal quality of the 2.4Ghz network is extremely poor. Even the signal quality of the 5Ghz network is better.

Message 10 of 20
Steve_tanner
Aspirant

Yes I have reflashed the most recent firmware a number of times, (their customer service advised me to do this as well) and I don't know which version it shipped with.

When I say I have done 'factory resets' I mean that I've gone into the router webpage and reset the router to factory defaults. But I've also used a paper clip to hold in the 'reset' button for 60sec to reset the routher that way too.

The reason I don't think it's broken is, prior to this I bought a comparable Asus router and had the exact same issue. I ended up taking it back a few days later and replacing it with the nighthawk. It's not impossible for both routers to have the exact same issue, but it kind of seems unlikely right?!

Message 11 of 20
TheEther
Guru

If two routers from different brands had the same issue, then it's very likely that the routers were not the problem.  Instead, it's likely that the 2.4 GHz band is unusable in your area.  You should run a Wi-Fi Analyzer program to survey what networks are around you.  If you live in an apartment, for example, that would potentially be a worst case scenario.

Message 12 of 20
Steve_tanner
Aspirant

I live in a neighbourhood in a rural town, so there are SOME other connections but the channels aren't really overcrowded. Most of them are unused in fact. It's worth noting that up until a few weeks ago when it fried, my old TP-Link duel band worked perfectly inspite of the other connections in my area.

Message 13 of 20
IrvSp
Master

What OS are you running? Know it is windows, that is all you've shared.

Hardly likely to be a router problem as you stated the original router (TP-Link) worked fine but the replacement and the NG do not. That sort of points back to the individual network adapters IMHO.

It could be possible the network adapters are SET to always connect to the TP-Link SSID. Not there, they give up. Are you using a different SSID than the one you had on the TP-LINK? I guess you could try changing the NG wireless properties to match the old TP-Links SSID and passphrase.

Did you MANUALLY set the desired IP Address on the wireless device properties? If so they must be on the set network, 192.168.1.1 in your case.

In Windows you CAN reset the NETWORKs. Google "reset windows xx networking" substituting you windows version for 'xx' as there are different ways to do that in different  versions.

Message 14 of 20
howzatar
Aspirant

WOW...I can't believe the trouble this router has caused.  I have been watching all the threads about the 2.4 GHz not working for the last year now.  After trying v1.05... and v1.06...I previously resorted to running on software v1.0.4.28_1.1.64.  It worked well enough for a while.  I made some changes to allow me to use PLEX...since then, I started having some minor issues.  So I decided to look up the software versions again to see if it got any better.  It seemed like people were okay with the latest version, so I thought I would give it a shot...

About a week ago, I decided to try upgrading the firmware to V1.0.7.6_1.1.99 to see if they finally got it working.  I have tried numerous times...and in numerous ways.  Yes, I have tried a factory reset and entered in fresh programming (not an import of backup settings).  I tested it as I went to see if there were any particular settings that would trigger the problem.  Unfortunately, it didn't show until about 24 hours later.  I went back down to v1.0.4.28_1.1.64 and now it also seems to be having issues with the 2.4 GHz.  I upgraded today to 1.0.7.10_1.2.3...including a factory reset and freshly programmed inputs.  No go.  

I'm going to try one more time going to the V1.04.  If it still has issues with 2.4 GHz, I'm done.  This is rediculous that they never fixed the problem.  I have read so many threads on this site about the problem and some things work for some people and some do not.  That's a problem.  

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 15 of 20
kman68
Star

Same issue with the R7000.  It is driving me nuts.  I guess they still haven't fixed it?  Over the last couple of months my 2.4ghz band has dropped to 4Mbps down and .5Mbps up on average.  I have 300Mbps cox internet and my 5ghz band easily runs at 200Mpbs.  2.4 was running at 80 to 100Mbps.  Very frustrated right now.

Message 16 of 20
JamesGL
Master

Hi kman68,

What is the firmware version of the router? Make sure to update it.

https://kb.netgear.com/000038289/R7000-Firmware-Version-1-0-7-12

Message 17 of 20
kman68
Star

@JamesGL wrote:

Hi kman68,

What is the firmware version of the router? Make sure to update it.

https://kb.netgear.com/000038289/R7000-Firmware-Version-1-0-7-12

That is when it broke.  Worked fine with last firmware.  When I updated to the latest one is when it went bad along with lots of other people having the same issue.  This is a Netgear firmware and genie problem.  Not a user problem.

Message 18 of 20
JamesGL
Master

Hi kman68,

Reset the router to factory default and try to reconfigure it manually.

Message 19 of 20
JamesGL
Master

Hi kman68,

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if you need further assistance.

Message 20 of 20
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 19 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7