Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk AC1900 R7000 Questions

19rellimcm37
Aspirant

Nighthawk AC1900 R7000 Questions

I have to upgrade my home wifi ap/router due to lack of firm ware updates and I am interested in puchasing this one.

However I have few questions.

1.  Does this device support dd-wrt firmware? 

2.  What is the typical cycle time that Netware will support this device with firmware? 

thanks

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 13

Accepted Solutions
LeeH
Prodigy

1.  Does this device support dd-wrt firmware? --- Yes

2.  What is the typical cycle time that Netware will support this device with firmware?  

The firmware is fairly mature now and there are actually not that many problems with the firmware.  The R7000 appears to be one of NetGear's most popular routers.  I would expect firmware support to be supported for several more years given the number in use and the number being sold.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 13

All Replies
LeeH
Prodigy

1.  Does this device support dd-wrt firmware? --- Yes

The firmware is fairly mature now and there are actually not that many problems with the firmware.  The R7000 appears to be one of NetGear's most popular routers.  I would expect firmware support to be supported for several more years given the number in use and the number being sold.

Message 2 of 13
IrvSp
Master

Yes, DD-WRT supports the R7000.

Support and release of new firmware I don't think NG runs on a time schedule. It is both fixes severity and new exploits discovered and fixed that must be fixed that determine when a release is made as the router has been out for a few years now.

Message 3 of 13
schumaku
Guru

@19rellimcm37 wrote:

1.  Does this device support dd-wrt firmware? 

Might happen there are DD-WRT builds available for the R7000 platform. If you can't figure out I'm not convinced you should consider alternate firmware at all.

@19rellimcm37 wrote:

Usually then security and some operational issues occur. You can build a a time line if oyu desperatley based on the information available from Search Netgear Support:R7000 Firmware Version - of corse, this deos not cmpare to the almost weekly builds some geeks are maitaning and building.

Message 4 of 13
19rellimcm37
Aspirant

Hmmm...I tried to search under the DD-WRT using the following terms:  Nighthawk and R7000

Wasn't able to find it.

I just want to make sure I can fall back to a 3rd party for firmeware if the Netgear doesn't put out firmware for it in the future.

thanks

Message 5 of 13
StephenB
Guru

@19rellimcm37 wrote:

Hmmm...I tried to search under the DD-WRT using the following terms:  Nighthawk and R7000

Wasn't able to find it.

Try here: https://www.myopenrouter.com/download/dd-wrt-kong-mod-netgear-r7000-2017-01-18

I've never tried it, this is just a link.  You'll need to create an account there to download.

Message 6 of 13
19rellimcm37
Aspirant

I was searching this site originally:

https://www.dd-wrt.com/site/

Didn't realize that Netgear had its own open source community. 

thanks

Message 7 of 13
pwnerman
Aspirant

Here is another good option I use personally on my R7000

http://xvtx.ru/xwrt/index.htm

Message 8 of 13
bpbp
Aspirant

Good afternoon, how did you accomplish this? The zip file comes in the wrong format and cant seem to find out how to make that work. Thanks!

Message 9 of 13
IrvSp
Master

@bpbp wrote:

Good afternoon, how did you accomplish this? The zip file comes in the wrong format and cant seem to find out how to make that work. Thanks!

You are new to this thread. What router, what file did you get, and WHAT is the extension?

Message 10 of 13
bpbp
Aspirant

This is in regards to the AC1900  R7000. The firmware I am trying to flash is v380.65 from xvtx. The file extension that comes in the zip is .trx. I am being told that I need a .chk file.

Thanks!

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 11 of 13
pwnerman
Aspirant

I just downloaded the zip myself to check and the chk file is in there. I promise.
Message 12 of 13
bpbp
Aspirant

I see it in there, however it got corrupted someone during my download. I will have to try again! Thanks!

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7