Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk AC1900 R7000 Slow Hardwired Speed

djbiehl6
Aspirant

Nighthawk AC1900 R7000 Slow Hardwired Speed

Router Model: Nighthawk AC1900 Smart Wifi Router Model R7000

PC: Intel gigabit ethernet adapter (up to 1000mbps)

The new pc I built does not have a wifi card built in so all I have is ethernet hardwired connection available.

I subscribe to comast xfinity internet where I am supposed to get at least up to 180mbps download speeds. I noticed my speeds were slow on my PC. I could get around 50mbps when doing speed tests from various websites. I then did the speedtest on my router through the nighthawk app and get speeds consistent speeds of up to 190mbps. The next test I did was plug my ethernet cable directly from my asus modem to the pc. Consistently performed speed tests on my pc with that connection at 290mbps download. That lead me to believe that the ethernet cable can handle the full speeds that my cable provider can supply. For some reason I cannot get any speeds higher than 50 mbps from my nighthawk router (Port 1) to my pc. My network traffic is non extistent otherwise as this is the only computer connected. So it cannot be other devices slowing down the connection. My router model is supposed to support up to 1000mbps through hardwired.

Sidenote: when I connect my phone to wifi and do a speedtest I can pull about 100mbps consistently.

Anyone have an idea of what the heck is going on?

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
myersw
Master

Latest from app does not give me a number. I am not a mind reader. 

Also have you tried reset and reconfigure? That would probably be the next step as you probably have auto update on and the router was updated without your knowledge. 

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 8

All Replies
myersw
Master

First question is what version of firmware are you running, number not something like latest. 

What steps have you taken to try to fix? 

Things like reset the router and reconfigure. Know that is a pain, but does fix issues, especially if new firmware install. Things like auto update on can cause issues as you are not aware that a firmware update has happened. 

Message 2 of 8
djbiehl6
Aspirant

@myersw wrote:

First question is what version of firmware are you running, number not something like latest. 

What steps have you taken to try to fix? 

Things like reset the router and reconfigure. Know that is a pain, but does fix issues, especially if new firmware install. Things like auto update on can cause issues as you are not aware that a firmware update has happened. 

Bill,

I checked my latest firmware from the nighthawk app yesterday and it said it was up to date already. I restarted my modem and router and couple times yesterday when trying to troubleshoot the issue.

Message 3 of 8
myersw
Master

Also have you tried reset and reconfigure? That would probably be the next step as you probably have auto update on and the router was updated without your knowledge. 

Message 4 of 8
myersw
Master

You might want to read this thread. Folks having issues similar to yours and some suggestions as to possible firmware to try. I am assuming you are on the .64 firmware since that is "latest". 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/1-0-9-64-Firmware-Upgrade-Advise/m-p/1708453...

Message 5 of 8
djbiehl6
Aspirant

@myersw wrote:

You might want to read this thread. Folks having issues similar to yours and some suggestions as to possible firmware to try. I am assuming you are on the .64 firmware since that is "latest". 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/1-0-9-64-Firmware-Upgrade-Advise/m-p/1708453...

@myersw wrote:

Bill,

I am sorry. I am not at home to check the firmware number. I will verify when I get home and report back. After I verify the firmware, I will reset and reconfigure. Make sure auto update is not on. If that doesn't do it, I will rollback the firmware to .42. I'll report back with any updates.

Thank you,

Dayton

Message 6 of 8
djbiehl6
Aspirant

I was running firmware V1.0.9.64_10.2.64.

I ended up factory resetting the router and when I finished setting it up again I ran a speed test. 295mbps download with the hardwire connection. It's unfortunate I couldn't figure this out sooner. By the way, I'm still running on firmware V1.0.9.64_10.2.64 and those are the speeds I am getting. Everything is working now. Thanks for the help.

Message 7 of 8
myersw
Master

Glad all is good now. Thanks for the update. 

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7