Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk AC1900 (R7000) Slow WiFi Download Speeds

LOLGuy
Guide

Nighthawk AC1900 (R7000) Slow WiFi Download Speeds

Hi All,

Using R7000 as an wireless access point running from a FIOS Quantum modem/router on 150/150 service.  While WiFi upload speeds are very strong via various Speedtest servers (~130 Mbps), download will not go beyond 30 Mbps on any device (laptops, iPads, phones).  Wired performance via the Quantum router is very strong (~160/160) and has not been impacted by Nighthawk installation.

Installed the router last night via wizard and as part of set-up the latest firmware was installed to the R7000.

I appreciate any perspectives.

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 14

Accepted Solutions
LOLGuy
Guide

Disabling 5GHz?  No.

Eliminated the Quantum router and now have the R7000 as the only device.  No issues.  Turns out the Quantum was failing and my Frontier CO is in the process of installing additional capacity.  Frontier was the cause of the erratic readings and router the cause of the disparity between Up and download.

Had a couple of issues with R7000 settings but Netgear's customer service was very helpful.

View solution in original post

Message 13 of 14

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

What wired speeds are you seeing if you connect to an R7000 lan port?

Message 2 of 14
beanamonster
Initiate

Are you using the 5GHz channel, by chance? In my house, the 5GHz get's incredibly low speeds, and seems to slow down the 2.4GHz connection just by broadcasting. If you're not overly attached to the 5GHz, I recommend disabling it in your router settings. 

For my router, I do the following: Log in to your router, (1) click the ADVANCED tab, (2) click the "Advanced Setup" dropdown and select "Wireless Settings", then (3) uncheck "Enable Router Radio" under "Wireless Advanced Settings (5GHz a/n)".

Capture.PNGI didn't have time to open Photoshop

Also, I might just be stupid, but have you ever gotten these devices to get above a 30mbps speed?  

From what I've seen, some devices aren't capable of very high speeds. Phones and tablets sometimes have a pretty low bandwidth. I've seen an iPhone 6s achieve speeds of over 400mbps where an iPhone 5 could only achieve about 80, so it could vary by brand and model.  

Laptops, on the other hand, should be able to reach a higher speed than 30, unless it's pretty old. 

Anyway, I'm probably not very helpful, but since no one else has replied yet, I thought I'd try to give some insight.  

Good luck.

Message 3 of 14
StephenB
Guru

@beanamonster wrote:

In my house, the 5GHz get's incredibly low speeds, and seems to slow down the 2.4GHz connection just by broadcasting.

That sounds unusual. 5 Ghz generally has less interference and gets better speeds at short range. A longer ranges 2.4 ghz can outperform it. I haven't heard of any other case where simply enabling the 5 ghz radio hurts 2.4 ghz performance. I'd be interested in hearing if others have seen this.
Message 4 of 14
LOLGuy
Guide

I'll check that this evening and post.

Message 5 of 14
LOLGuy
Guide

Wired speeds are consistent with wifi.  150+/150+.

Message 6 of 14
LOLGuy
Guide

Devices used to benchmark are capable and have achieved much higher speeds via the Quantum router.  Speed was never the issue with that device but range wasn't the best in a larger two-story house where the signal is coming in from the first floor of one corner and diminshes greatly by the time it gets to the second-story opposite corner.

Message 7 of 14
StephenB
Guru

@LOLGuy wrote:

Speed was never the issue with that device but range wasn't the best in a larger two-story house where the signal is coming in from the first floor of one corner and diminshes greatly by the time it gets to the second-story opposite corner.

Mine is 3 story.  I was able to shift my router to the center of the 2nd floor, which helped a lot with coverage.

If you connect the R7000 to the network with a LAN port do you get better uplink speeds?

Message 8 of 14
LOLGuy
Guide

The R7000 is attached to the Quantum router via a LAN connection.  Wifi is disabled on the Quantum.

How did yo relocate your router?  Cable run?

Thanks for your responses.

Message 9 of 14
StephenB
Guru

@LOLGuy wrote:

The R7000 is attached to the Quantum router via a LAN connection.  Wifi is disabled on the Quantum.

The normal setup instructions for AP mode have the R7000's internet port connected to the Quantum router.  I'm suggesting that you try one of the four LAN ports instead.  One side effect is that you might not be able to reach the router UI unless you set a static IP address for it.  But connectivity would still be there, so you could test performance, and then just move the connection back.

I'm basically wondering if something isn't quite right with that connection path between the R7000 and the Quantum -  bad internet port in the R7000 router or maybe a bad LAN port in Quantum, or maybe a bad cable.  Is the cable grade Cat 5e or Cat 6?

@LOLGuy wrote:

How did you relocate your router?  Cable run?

Pretty much (though a bit more complicated).  The house is wired for ethernet, with switches in the basement, along with the Verizon ONT, quantum router, and my ReadyNAS.  

Note with FIOS I still need the Quantum router, otherwise I lose TV services. I could of course just put the Quantum on the second floor, and not use the R8500 at all..  But I prefer the R8500.  So I double-route (the quantum router's LAN is set to 192.168.1.x, the R8500 routes that to a 10.0.0.x home network).  

One more complication is that the second floor rooms only had one cable each, and normally I'd have needed two.  I use a virtual LAN (VLAN) setup to let me put both the 192.168.1.x traffic and 10.0.0.x traffic on a single ethernet cable.  Kind of tricky, but I wanted to avoid hiring someone to run another cable (I can run my own to the first and third floors, but getting to the middle floor isn't so easy).

Message 10 of 14
LOLGuy
Guide

Still at a loss and not sure why I am attaching the R7000 to the Quantum..  As I do not need the G1100 for TV service, tomorrow I may try and just use the R7000 on its own - Quantum from the wall iinto the R7000 WAN.  We'll see how it goes.

Message 11 of 14
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Have you had the chance trying the suggested step yet?

Message 12 of 14
LOLGuy
Guide

Disabling 5GHz?  No.

Eliminated the Quantum router and now have the R7000 as the only device.  No issues.  Turns out the Quantum was failing and my Frontier CO is in the process of installing additional capacity.  Frontier was the cause of the erratic readings and router the cause of the disparity between Up and download.

Had a couple of issues with R7000 settings but Netgear's customer service was very helpful.

Message 13 of 14
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Thank you for the update!

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements