Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk AC1900 Smart WiFi Router, Model R7000 is GARBAGE - How do I get an RMA?

Dsrtplyr
Tutor

Nighthawk AC1900 Smart WiFi Router, Model R7000 is GARBAGE - How do I get an RMA?

I've had my Nighthawk AC1900 Smart WiFi Router, Model R7000, since 06-10-2017 and have had nothing but irritation and agrevation at this piece of junk.  The firmware Netgear sends out is CONSTANTLY buggy and I end up spending hours reading chat groups, troubleshooting sudden problems only to discover that the last firmware is crap and I have to roll it back 2 or 3 versions.   I have to reboot it at least 2 times a week to get Internet connectivity because it will work great for a couple of days with download speeds above 50 and then every device in my house will slow down and get speeds around 12 DS, at times as low as 0.80 DS.  Spectrum techs have been out 3 times since November 2017, replaced their modem every time, and the problems continue.  Their final word was to buy a non-Netgear router.   

If what I'm reading everwhere is correct, since they do NOT provide live tech support after the initial 90 days, I now have to PAY $89.99 for a service contract just to be able to call them and get an RMA so they can replace this piece of junk?  Netgear is unbeliebably fu#@ed up!!!!

So any suggestions as to how I get this thing returned for one that might, just MIGHT actually work?   Or should I just beat it to dust with a baseball bat, save the $89.99 and buy a Linksys or D-Link router for $150 (as suggested by Spectrum) and never purchase Netgear again?

Model: A7000|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi USB Adapter - USB 3.0
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
Dsrtplyr
Tutor

Re: Nighthawk AC1900 Smart WiFi Router, Model R7000 is GARBAGE - How do I get an RMA?

UPDATE TO MY NETGEAR NIGHTHAWK AC1900 SITUATION: 

I wanted to give everyone an update to my situation and how it was resolved.

The Spectrum tech came to my apartment and spent almost 2 hours running equipment tests, line tests, resetting all of the equipment several times, wiping the Modem completely and having it remotely recoded (?) by Spectrum, etc. and the signal was still dropping.  I have an older Netgear N600 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router (WNDR3800) and he even swapped out the Nighthawk and tested the signal on the N600 but it did exacxtly the same thing. 

When he had done all he could, he explained that the reason my internet kept disconnecting over and over was due to the 30+ year old coaxial wiring that feeds to my apartment from the cable junction box at the far end of my building.  He said the cable was from the 1980's and "can't handle the number of channels that a modern cable signal pushes through the line, and when enough of the various channels [or 'frequencies'] in the signal fail the router can't compensate for what the modem sends it so it drops the signal." He also explained that "Unfortunately, unless the old drop cable in the wall coming from the junction box is completely replaced with new cable this is the pretty much the cable service you are stuck with."  My complex has 142 units spread over 8 buildings and it would cost around $150,000 to have the entire complex rewired - - that's NOT going happen. I asked if a brand new router might handle the signal issues better and he said I could try a new modem that's not Netgear, but he couldn't guarantee it would be any better. He recommended any Linksys Dual Band Router with a model number higher than 1600. 

After he left my internet was running with a download of around 50mbps. About 20 minutes later, with only my laptop and a smart TV connected, it dropped to 35-40mbps, and less than an hour after the tech left it tested at download speeds of around 3.8 mpbs and then I lost the internet completely. I used my Verizon phone as a mobile hotspot for 2 days until I used up my data. Just before being cut off completely I looked up Linksys routers like the tech recommended and found a Linksys EA7500 Max-Stream AC1900 MU-MIMO Gigabit WiFi Router at BestBuy on sale for $99 down from $158. It's listed on Amazon and Ebay for $45 to $70, but I was tired of waiting.

Once I picked it up and was home, I had it hooked it up and installed in less than 30 minutes. For the last 2 days I have had 2 smart tv's, 2 laptops, a desktop, a smart phone, a Philips Hue Hub, an external 4TB network drive, a security camera and a network printer all attached to this new router (3 via Ethernet, 7 via 2.4Ghz WiFi) accessing the internet and haven't had a single second of signal loss! My download speeds have been consistently running 35 to 50 mbps. Plus, the Linksys router's browser interface is 200% easier to use than Netgear's and it has a great look to it. It also allows me to access the configuration remotely so if the WiFi part is down I can fix it via the Internet interface.

This experience has shown me that Netgear (at least the AC1700 and the N600) aren't advanced enough (or made well enough) to compensate for signal loss issues and still provide a usable internet signal.   

I will NEVER go back to Netgear equipement. Never, Never, Never!

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 5

All Replies
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Dsrtplyr

I have sent you a PM.

DarrenM

Message 2 of 5
myersw
Master

I would not have put up with issues from 2017. Would have tosed in bin and moved on to another vendor long ago. Currently Netgear is putting out IMHO very good hardware, but REALLY crappy firmware. Time to move on. 

Message 3 of 5

I'm in the same boat of looking for a non-Netgear router. All firmwares post-.42 have rendered my router completely unusable. The forums are littered with similar stories on .60, .64, and .88.

Message 4 of 5
Dsrtplyr
Tutor

UPDATE TO MY NETGEAR NIGHTHAWK AC1900 SITUATION: 

I wanted to give everyone an update to my situation and how it was resolved.

The Spectrum tech came to my apartment and spent almost 2 hours running equipment tests, line tests, resetting all of the equipment several times, wiping the Modem completely and having it remotely recoded (?) by Spectrum, etc. and the signal was still dropping.  I have an older Netgear N600 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router (WNDR3800) and he even swapped out the Nighthawk and tested the signal on the N600 but it did exacxtly the same thing. 

When he had done all he could, he explained that the reason my internet kept disconnecting over and over was due to the 30+ year old coaxial wiring that feeds to my apartment from the cable junction box at the far end of my building.  He said the cable was from the 1980's and "can't handle the number of channels that a modern cable signal pushes through the line, and when enough of the various channels [or 'frequencies'] in the signal fail the router can't compensate for what the modem sends it so it drops the signal." He also explained that "Unfortunately, unless the old drop cable in the wall coming from the junction box is completely replaced with new cable this is the pretty much the cable service you are stuck with."  My complex has 142 units spread over 8 buildings and it would cost around $150,000 to have the entire complex rewired - - that's NOT going happen. I asked if a brand new router might handle the signal issues better and he said I could try a new modem that's not Netgear, but he couldn't guarantee it would be any better. He recommended any Linksys Dual Band Router with a model number higher than 1600. 

After he left my internet was running with a download of around 50mbps. About 20 minutes later, with only my laptop and a smart TV connected, it dropped to 35-40mbps, and less than an hour after the tech left it tested at download speeds of around 3.8 mpbs and then I lost the internet completely. I used my Verizon phone as a mobile hotspot for 2 days until I used up my data. Just before being cut off completely I looked up Linksys routers like the tech recommended and found a Linksys EA7500 Max-Stream AC1900 MU-MIMO Gigabit WiFi Router at BestBuy on sale for $99 down from $158. It's listed on Amazon and Ebay for $45 to $70, but I was tired of waiting.

Once I picked it up and was home, I had it hooked it up and installed in less than 30 minutes. For the last 2 days I have had 2 smart tv's, 2 laptops, a desktop, a smart phone, a Philips Hue Hub, an external 4TB network drive, a security camera and a network printer all attached to this new router (3 via Ethernet, 7 via 2.4Ghz WiFi) accessing the internet and haven't had a single second of signal loss! My download speeds have been consistently running 35 to 50 mbps. Plus, the Linksys router's browser interface is 200% easier to use than Netgear's and it has a great look to it. It also allows me to access the configuration remotely so if the WiFi part is down I can fix it via the Internet interface.

This experience has shown me that Netgear (at least the AC1700 and the N600) aren't advanced enough (or made well enough) to compensate for signal loss issues and still provide a usable internet signal.   

I will NEVER go back to Netgear equipement. Never, Never, Never!

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7