Re: Nighthawk AC1900 Smart WiFi Router Model R7000

tjmad1
Aspirant

Nighthawk AC1900 Smart WiFi Router Model R7000

Purchased this today as I was told my internet speed was slow due to my old router a (WNDR3400v2, N600).  I have it hooked up but the speed seems to be slower.  I'm not a computer guy in any way shape or form but I just figured a new router would work.  I hooked up a hard wire to my computer yesterday and got great speed like 80-110 Mpps but with the new router today I'm back where I was around 25-30 mph.  Did I buy the wrong router? 

Message 1 of 6
StephenB
Guru

Are these slow speeds over wifi or ethernet?

Also, do you know that the wifi client adapter is?

Message 2 of 6
tjmad1
Aspirant

slow speed ober wifi.  When I hard wired from the router to my desktop I tripled the speed and morre.  So I figured my old Netgear router was tired so I bought this big time Nighthawk and it doesn't seem any better.  Even my wifes Ipad seems slower.  NO I don't know anything about wifi adapter?  

Message 3 of 6
IrvSp
Master

Is WMM on? It should be.

What Security are you using for the SSID's? It might make a difference.

Older iPad's are slower than expected. I had an iPad2 and 3 and with my 100Mbps down I was lucky to get 30Mbps on them. All due to the antennae's. The newer iPad Pro with multiple antennea's gets 111Mbps down.

What wireless network adapter are you using? Model would help here. What speed as well, and what does the STATUS on the Connectiod in Network and Sharing Center show for the connection speed?

BTW, what is your ISP's speed and what wireless speed are you seeing? How are you testing/determining that speed?

Message 4 of 6
tjmad1
Aspirant

Okay let me try to answer this.

Not sure what WMM is and where to turn it on or off

Not sure about the security ywhere do I find that?

Wireless adaptor, is that the Lynks USB thing connected to my PC?  I know it's old, I actually bought the Netgear AC1200 High Gain WIFI USB ADaptor today , I couldn't get it to load into my HP desktop running windows 10..

My internet provider is sending 150 mpps  or at least that's what I'm paying for.

When I wired the PC to the router I got 80-115 in speed. 

Now with this new router I'm nly getting 25-35 with the wifi.   
Message 5 of 6
IrvSp
Master

@tjmad1 wrote:
Okay let me try to answer this.

Not sure what WMM is and where to turn it on or off

Not sure about the security ywhere do I find that?

Wireless adaptor, is that the Lynks USB thing connected to my PC?  I know it's old, I actually bought the Netgear AC1200 High Gain WIFI USB ADaptor today , I couldn't get it to load into my HP desktop running windows 10..

My internet provider is sending 150 mpps  or at least that's what I'm paying for.

When I wired the PC to the router I got 80-115 in speed. 

Now with this new router I'm nly getting 25-35 with the wifi.   

I'm sorry, but in order to really help you, complete details of the h/w involved would be required.

The 'Lynks USB thing' doesn't really help. Exact model would. Can find that on the device or under Device Manager possibly (use the Windows Key and R key held down at the same time and then enter DEVMGMT.MSC and look at NETWORK ADAPTERS, press > to open the list, should be in there). It is possible that it is 'slow' and you are getting the correct speed for that device.

WMM is a setting on the router under QoS. That would be on the Router page, under ADVANCED tab, SETUP, QoS SETUP. WMM should be checked on for both SSID's.

Security you'll find under BASIC tab, WIRELESS. What are the modes, Security used, and also if 20/40 Coexistance is on?

As for the AC1200 USB Adaptor, it should work. I have that one on one of my PC's running W10. Either more details, "couldn't get it to load" doesn't mean much, or you could call Netgear Support since you just bought it, they should be able to help you.

If your ISP is supplying 150Mbps service and even wired you get only 115 Mbps Max. then it is possible you do NOT have 1GB wired capability but only 100Mbps and then the speed you are getting would be right. What IS the model of the HP Laptop or under Device Manager, what is the model and make of the Wired Network Adapter?

We need hard facts in terms of hardware to assist you. We can't see what you see and it is hard to advise you without full hardware spec's and/or error messages. Need to know how you are measuring speeds as well?

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements