Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk AC1900 Wifi Cable Modem Router -- Choppy and slow wifi

rscharfer
Aspirant

Nighthawk AC1900 Wifi Cable Modem Router -- Choppy and slow wifi

Hello.

I have recently purchased said router and Comcast Xfinity high speed Internet with speeds "up to 400 Mbps".  Standing next to my Netgear modem/router, however, and measuring speeds with the Speedtest app on my mobile phone, I very rarely get speeds at 200 Mbps or over. Usually the test result is 170 - 180 Mbps.  (This is the 5G channel.) Is this something I should complain to Xfinity about?  (Luckily, I decided to only purchase one month of Internet from them and am not in a contract.) 

Anothet thing that I have noticed is that when I toggle betwen the 5G network and the 2.4,  my Samsung Galaxy will always at first say "connected without Internet". A few seconds later this goes away and I am connected with Internet. 

Anything I can try?

Thanks for any help!  

Message 1 of 4

Re: Nighthawk AC1900 Wifi Cable Modem Router -- Choppy and slow wifi

@rscharfer wrote:

I have recently purchased said router and Comcast Xfinity high speed Internet with speeds "up to 400 Mbps".  Standing next to my Netgear modem/router, however, and measuring speeds with the Speedtest app on my mobile phone, I very rarely get speeds at 200 Mbps or over. Usually the test result is 170 - 180 Mbps.  (This is the 5G channel.) Is this something I should complain to Xfinity about? 

AC1900 tells us nothing about your modem/router. AC1900  is not a reliable guide to model number. Many devices come with an AC tag, but it is essentially a label that Netgear, and other brands, attach to hardware to describe wifi speeds.

There isn't much that Xfinity can do. It is not responsible for your wifi signal. As long as your Netgear modem/router gets 400 Mbps, Xfinity has done its bit.

You will never get wifi speeds to match wired speeds. That's down to physicist. For many mobile devices, 200 Mbps is pretty good.

Does your mobile phone get much faster wifi speeds anywhere else?

It might help to do a bit of background reading on what you can expect from wifi.

Understand Wi-Fi 4/5/6 (802.11 n/ac/ad/ax)

@duckware knows their stuff and can bust a few myths and cut through marketing hype.

Message 2 of 4
rscharfer
Aspirant

Hey, there.

Thanks for responding. 

I guess I am more after how I can improve my the subjective experience of my network.  I tried video chatting with a family member on my cell phone and it was pretty bad.  Loading time for my apps seems to take 4-5 seconds while the app is probably fetching data from the network. In our previous house, this was not the case.   I mean how much physics is involved when I am standing directly next to my router?  What is knocking the 400 Mbps that is coming into my house down to > 200 Mbps?

One thing that I did that seemed to drastically improve the situation was setting the router on a higher spot, which makes sense.  

Questions I have though:
    -  How do I know Xfinity is doing their part and switching to Internet providers wouldn't help?
     - If I purchased the next higher speed from Xfinity (up 600 Mbps), would that help my situation, or is the bottleneck my home network set up? I purposely purchased a router that purportedly can handle high speeds (up to 960 Mbps per what is on the box)
     - Should I move to a mesh network?  This would help with the range but what's coming out of the router is the most disappointing. 
     - Maybe I should try a new router?

There are so many variables involved.  It's hard to narrow it down. 

Model: C7000|Nighthawk - AC1900 WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 3 of 4

@rscharfer wrote:

What is knocking the 400 Mbps that is coming into my house down to > 200 Mbps?

The fact that you are using wifi to connect.

The way to check that Xfinity is delivering the speed you pay for is to measure the wired speed coming out of your modem. Wifi speeds tell you nothing useful.

To repeat an earlier qiestion, have you looked at the speeds that your phone gets on other wifi sources? There is nothing that Xfinity, Netgear or anyone else can do to make a phone go faster of it is designed to work at 200 Mbps, which is faster than anything that most applications come anywhere. Streaming HDTV needs nothing like that speed.

@rscharfer wrote:

- If I purchased the next higher speed from Xfinity (up 600 Mbps), would that help my situation, or is the bottleneck my home network set up? I purposely purchased a router that purportedly can handle high speeds (up to 960 Mbps per what is on the box)
     - Should I move to a mesh network?  This would help with the range but what's coming out of the router is the most disappointing. 
     - Maybe I should try a new router?

If your phone is working as fast as it can, then changing the rest of the network will have no effect.

@rscharfer wrote:

I tried video chatting with a family member on my cell phone and it was pretty bad.  Loading time for my apps seems to take 4-5 seconds while the app is probably fetching data from the network.

Once again, you are talking about the phone. What about other devices you use?

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7