Nighthawk AC1900 addition to extend range

MartinLierschof
Aspirant

Nighthawk AC1900 addition to extend range

Hi Guys,

I recently bought the great AC1900 and it works flawlessly but i have  a problem that i need a range extender in my house. In the Cellar i have my router installed and in the second floor i want my nighthawk router (connected via ethernet from the cellar) but i need another access point in the first floor which should have the same ssid etc.. so basically i want to keep the nighthawk router on the second floor and add another one in the first floor. The first floor has its own ethernet access to the modem. Sadly i cannot patch the cables that i can take the ethernet port of the nighthawk router and wire them to the first floor.

The trouble i face is that i could use the ethernet from the modem or a wifi range extender but i really dont want the performance loss of extending the range from the nighthawk.

Can you advise me what to buy?

Message 1 of 6
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: Nighthawk AC1900 addition to extend range

look at power line adapters depending on house wiring they make work,

Message 2 of 6
MartinLierschof
Aspirant

Well i have a network cable to from my modem to my router and a nw cable from my modem to the first floor. So id rather use the nw cable if possible.

Message 3 of 6
TheEther
Guru

Can you clarify whether the device in the cellar is a pure modem or a combination modem/router?  I'm going to assume you have a router in the cellar.

I see two options:

1. Move the Nighthawk to the first floor.  I believe it projects signals upwards better than downwards, so it may be able to cover both the first and second floor by relocating it.
  2. Install a range extender that can function as a wired Access Point on the first floor.  Wire it to the router in the cellar.

Regardless of which option you use, you should enable AP Mode on your Nighthawk.  Generally, you don't want to have two routers operating in a home network.  Otherwise, you will have two isolated networks, two levels of NAT, possibly reduced speeds and gaming problems.

Message 4 of 6
MartinLierschof
Aspirant

Thanks for the answer,

Yes the modem is a router too, but the signal from the cellar is very bad even on the first floor.

Right now i have only the modem/router in the second floor and the signal varies from bad to non existent directly above, and in all the other rooms in the second floor i have no connection (even when i tried with the nighthawk directly attached to the modem/router in the first floor).

The second solution i would like to do, which netgear product would you recommend with a strong signal for all the rooms in the first floor?

Message 5 of 6
TheEther
Guru

I tend to favor something with external antennas due to the tendency of such devices to have better range, except that one's personal sense of aesthetics may call for something more compact and discreet.  The EX7000, which is the range extender equivalent to the R7000, is an option.  One step down is the EX6200.  I hesitate to recommend the EX6200 outright because of the uncertainty I have on whether it supports wired AP Mode.  Allegedly, Netgear added support for it in a recent firmware update, but I have not seen any official confirmation of that.  You could get another R7000, although it would be a bit of a waste as most of its functions would be unused while operating as an AP.  The R7000 does have a reputation for excellent range.  I have one and it nearly covers my entire, 2 story house.

If either or those options are out of your budget or if none of your devices support 5 GHz Wi-Fi, then you may want to consider a more economical, single-band range extender.  I don't have any specific model to recommend.  It's best to do your own research (link).

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E