Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk AC1900 default gateway changed to 10.0.0.1

sc204
Tutor

Nighthawk AC1900 default gateway changed to 10.0.0.1

Router was working fine untill I tried to use it as a wireless access point on top of my Cablevision supplied wireless router.  When I did that I got a message that something (probably the gateway was being changed to 10.0....

Wireless access point did not work out.

When I went back to trying to use the router as a standalone the gateway did not return to 192.168.1.1

Although internet will work at 10.0.0.1 my wireless printer will no longer connect. 

I treied multiple rests of the router, turned everything off etc.  always stays at 10.0.0.1

If I connect the cablevision router alone the gateway is 192.168.....

How do I get the Netgear router back to that.

Thanks,

Stuart

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
TheEther
Guru

When operating as a router, the NIghthawk will automatically switch it's LAN subnet to 10.0.0.0/255.0.0.0 if it determines that 192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0 is in use on its WAN port.  It's likely that your Cablevision is using this subnet.

If you are still interested in using the Nighthawk as an AP, try the following.

1. Disconnect the Nighthawk from everything.
  2. Perform a factory reset by pushing in the reset button for at least 7 seconds.
  3. Connect a PC or laptop to a Nighthawk LAN port using an Ethernet cable.
  4. Point your browser at www.routerlogin.net or www.routerlogin.com or 192.168.1.1.
  5. Configure your Wi-Fi networks (name, password, and channel) and save your changes.  Wait for the router to reconfigure.  You may have to log in again.
  6. Go to Advanced > Advanced Setup > Wireless AP and select Enable AP Mode and click Apply.  Your browser will probably lose its connection to the Nighthawk at this point.
  7. Connect the Nighthawk WAN port to your Cablevision router LAN with an Ethernet cable.

Test your Wi-Fi access and/or Ethernet access through the Nighthawk.  You should be able to access the Internet.  You should also still be able to use routerlogin.net or routerlogin.com to log in so long as your device is connecting through the NIghthawk.  192.168.1.1 will probably not work if it's used by the Cablevision.  But you can find the IP address assigned to the Nighthawk by logging into it and checking the Internet status page.  Or you can log into the Cablevision router and find the IP address there.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 6

All Replies
Daenerys
Luminary

Older Netgear router(s) will automatically change its IP address to 10.0.0.1 once it detected connectivity with another DHCP capable modem/router. As for the Nighthawk, it should have provided you the option to set it as an Access Point or default mode/router. Access Point should be selected since you will be connecting it to another router. Obviously, 10.0.0.1 is not the assigned IP address of the main router since it is in 192.168 subnet. 

I recommend resetting the Nighthawk to factory default and do the setup again. If you will set it as an Access Point it should be on the same subnet of the main router which is 192.168.x.x. Same goes with the printer for it to work. Below is an article that could help you with the setup.

https://netgear-us1.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/24104/kw/how%20to%20set%20up%20nighthawk%20...

Message 2 of 6
sc204
Tutor

The link takes me to a customer support login.

Message 3 of 6
Daenerys
Luminary

Message 4 of 6
TheEther
Guru

When operating as a router, the NIghthawk will automatically switch it's LAN subnet to 10.0.0.0/255.0.0.0 if it determines that 192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0 is in use on its WAN port.  It's likely that your Cablevision is using this subnet.

If you are still interested in using the Nighthawk as an AP, try the following.

1. Disconnect the Nighthawk from everything.
  2. Perform a factory reset by pushing in the reset button for at least 7 seconds.
  3. Connect a PC or laptop to a Nighthawk LAN port using an Ethernet cable.
  4. Point your browser at www.routerlogin.net or www.routerlogin.com or 192.168.1.1.
  5. Configure your Wi-Fi networks (name, password, and channel) and save your changes.  Wait for the router to reconfigure.  You may have to log in again.
  6. Go to Advanced > Advanced Setup > Wireless AP and select Enable AP Mode and click Apply.  Your browser will probably lose its connection to the Nighthawk at this point.
  7. Connect the Nighthawk WAN port to your Cablevision router LAN with an Ethernet cable.

Test your Wi-Fi access and/or Ethernet access through the Nighthawk.  You should be able to access the Internet.  You should also still be able to use routerlogin.net or routerlogin.com to log in so long as your device is connecting through the NIghthawk.  192.168.1.1 will probably not work if it's used by the Cablevision.  But you can find the IP address assigned to the Nighthawk by logging into it and checking the Internet status page.  Or you can log into the Cablevision router and find the IP address there.

Message 5 of 6
sc204
Tutor

Got it back to 192.168.1.1 but still can't get WPS to work.  I will put that in a seperate thread.

Thank you

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7