Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk AC3200 Model C7800 not capable of Xfinity Voice

Brucep7
Tutor

Nighthawk AC3200 Model C7800 not capable of Xfinity Voice

Hi, I'm not a "techie" and I have a question that probably has a logical solution other than just using an Xfinity modem. I bought this great modem-router and it gives great service on Xfinity internet. However, I also subscribed to Xfinity Voice as AT&T is not available in my area (I'm old school and want a phone line other than just my cell). Now I come to understand that I cannot have Xfinity Voice if I want to keep my expensive Nighthawk modem-router. The issue is that the Nighthawk modem-router only has 5 Ethernet ports and I need a modem with a voice/phone (rj11) port to connect a phone. I see there are RJ11 (F) to RJ45 (M) adapters out there, but will this work with my modem and get me Xfinity voice service?  If not, does anyone know of someone who's resolved this issue?  I've scoured all the Xfinity blogs and no-one has a solution other than paying $14/month for an Xfinity modem.  

Model: C7800|Nighthawk X4S-AC3200 WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: Nighthawk AC3200 Model C7800 not capable of Xfinity Voice

To use xfinity voice, you need an xfinity compatible modem. Getting an adapter won't work. 

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 6

All Replies
plemans
Guru

You can't simple put an rj45 to rj11 adapter in and get voice. I wish it was that simple. 

Options? 

1. get a modem/voice device like the cm1150v or the cm2050v and then buy a router seperate. Then you'd have voice.

There is the C7100V that also integrates modem/voice/router but its only docsis 3.0

2. You don't have to use xfinity voice. There's other VOIP options. You could go with something like Ooma that is a voip service option and tends to be cheaper than xfinity voice anyway. 

Message 2 of 6
Brucep7
Tutor

I came across an Ethernet phone on Amazon. Will this phone work with Xfinity Voice thru the C7800 Cable Modem?

Model: C7800|Nighthawk X4S-AC3200 WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 3 of 6
Brucep7
Tutor

Thanks Plemans.   The Oomans looks like a possible solution without having to buy more equipment (except the Ooman phone).

I came across an Ethernet phone on Amazon. Will this phone work with Xfinity Voice thru the C7800 Cable Modem?

Message 4 of 6
plemans
Guru

To use xfinity voice, you need an xfinity compatible modem. Getting an adapter won't work. 

Message 5 of 6
Brucep7
Tutor

thanks for quick reply.  Xfinity rep told me to exchenge the Nighthawk at Best Buy for another router with an RJ11 port on back and

Voice would work.  Guess they lied to me. I can't return the Nighthawk as I've already thrown away the box and have used it for 3 weeks. Damn shame....looks like I go with Ooma  

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7