Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk AC3200 Set Up

Pirates1
Aspirant

Nighthawk AC3200 Set Up

Hi - I have set this router up behind my router/modem supplied by ATT.  I let the router configure the settings automatically upon initial set up.  The router is still acting as a DHCP server (I have the ethernet cable connected to the WAN port on the Netgear router).  I have read when having 2 routers on the same network, you should diasble the DHCP server on the second router to avoid conflicts.  What is the proper set up for the senario?  Does the current configuation effect performance or can I leave as is?

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: Nighthawk AC3200 Set Up

@Pirates1 wrote:

Thanks - great advice.  A couple of follow up questions:

1) Does using AP mode improve the performance over the current configuration (e.g. I am losing performance with it router mode with the DHCP enabled)?----in some instances it does. If there's dhcp conflicts, it can help. 

2) Option 3, can you explain the DMZ and what that does?----netgear has an article on this: https://kb.netgear.com/25891/DMZ-on-NETGEAR-routers

so I won't go over it again. many isp's router/modems have some form of this. 

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Options? 

1. Put the R8000 in ap (access point) mode. it disables the dhcp server and lets the att router control it. You can disable the wifi on the att router but you don't have to. just make sure they're on different channels to prevent interference. 

2. leave the R8000 in router mode. Put the att device in passthrough mode. this is a bit more challenging as att doesn't make it easy. 

3. leave both in router mode but add the R8000's ip address to the att routers DMZ. 

Message 2 of 4
Pirates1
Aspirant

1) Does using AP mode improve the performance over the current configuration (e.g. I am losing performance with it router mode with the DHCP enabled)?

2) Option 3, can you explain the DMZ and what that does?

Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

@Pirates1 wrote:

1) Does using AP mode improve the performance over the current configuration (e.g. I am losing performance with it router mode with the DHCP enabled)?----in some instances it does. If there's dhcp conflicts, it can help. 

2) Option 3, can you explain the DMZ and what that does?----netgear has an article on this: https://kb.netgear.com/25891/DMZ-on-NETGEAR-routers

so I won't go over it again. many isp's router/modems have some form of this. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7