Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk AC5300 tri-band router not reading ethernet cable.

Sarahblah
Aspirant

Nighthawk AC5300 tri-band router not reading ethernet cable.

Ok, this router isn't even that old and it won't connect to the modem with a physical ethernet connection. I've tried powering it off and on, resetting it, and yes, even upgrading the firmware - then resetting it. 

I have called the ISP after the typical "ipconfig /all", "ipconfig /release", "ipconfig /renew" being used, it didn't work on either of the computers on the network. There is a newer Lenovo laptop and workstation that can't connect. The network setup hasn't changed, nothing has been added or changed. I've tried to ping the network and the router won't connect to anything at all. 

After even upgrading the firmware again and rebooting it's still not connecting. The router was hot so it was turned off and unplugged so it could cool down. 

I believe it's pretty useless now since the only way for me to connect to the internet is to plug the ethernet cable into the modem and the laptop. After reading at least two other posts with the same issues, I'm looking at another brand now since this router just didn't last like it should have. 

Has anyone else had this make and model do this to them lately? We've had it at least a year and a half and see no point in contacting "help" when something this new can't get or even keep a stable connection. 

Model: R8500|Nighthawk X8 Tri-Band AC5300 WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
Sarahblah
Aspirant

Re: Nighthawk AC5300 tri-band router not reading ethernet cable.

Well the router fried right in front of me so it's officially dead and not even that old. How would I go about seeing if it can be refurbished or replaced?

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. Everything has been tried and the router was defective. I've never had an issue with this brand before but I'm surprised it just didn't last like our last one did.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 6

All Replies
LeeH
Prodigy

If you can connect a computer to the modem and get Internet and you can log into the router try this.

Hook up the router to the modem like you would normally would.  Log into the modem.  Click on Internet under the Basic tab.  Go to the bottom of the page and select Use Computer MAC Address and click apply at the top of the page.  Test it out.

Message 2 of 6
Sarahblah
Aspirant

It won't work as the router will not access the internet. I tried this six times trying both the routerlogin.net and with the Netgear Genie app. Nothing has worked at all. I do see that I didn't list this method though so thanks for the suggestion.

In order to get internet access I have to plug the laptop directly into the modem since the router does nothing but blink the lights.
Message 3 of 6

You can try factory reset, keep me posted!

Message 4 of 6
Sarahblah
Aspirant

Well the router fried right in front of me so it's officially dead and not even that old. How would I go about seeing if it can be refurbished or replaced?

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. Everything has been tried and the router was defective. I've never had an issue with this brand before but I'm surprised it just didn't last like our last one did.
Message 5 of 6

Sorry about that good night!

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7